• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

dragos25

Reaction score
Maybe there are "austerity saddle shoes" out there. Haven't seen any however.
Saddle shoes are casual to me too but maybe black ones are a bit more formal.I can't see them work with conservative business dress tho...

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are all black saddle brogue oxfords formal enough for say a charcoal gray business suit or a funeral or semi -formal wedding, or does the saddle indicate a level of casualness not normally associated with black oxfords?

All black? Absolutely. The saddle itself isn't what makes the archetypical saddle shoe casual, the contrasting colors do. A single color, polished leather saddle shoe is a pretty minimally decorated shoe, and is thus pretty formal. I have a pair myself- black AE Polos- and I wear them with anything I would wear a black punchcap (ie, the 5th avenue) with. And traditionally, punchcaps are acceptable with morning dress, so you're fine with formal daywear. I wouldn't go with them for eveningwear though- no broguing on anything worn with a tux. For course, Prince William routinely wears full brogues- in the real world, you're fine. And you are most definitely fine with a charcoal suit.

Last edited:

dragos25

Reaction score
This might be more of a SWD kinda question, but why are light wash currently jeans shunned and considered unfashionable?
I dug out a pair of old straight fit Lee jeans I had,they fit me well and look a bit like this:

Are they ok to wear casually, with chucks,t shirts,henleys,etc or am I veering dangerously into "dadcore" territory?
lol8[1].gif

I don't care about trends and don't mind being an odd duck, as long as I don't genuinely look bad, and since I have dark and medium wash jeans already, I'm thinking these are great for wearing ultra casually.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

why are light wash currently jeans shunned and considered unfashionable?

Because the winds of fashion blow first in one direction, then in another. Thus do fashion magazines ever have new pictures to print, manufacturers and merchants new sales to ring up, advertising agencies new accounts from which to pay Don Draper and Darrin Stephens their bonuses, and novelty-seekers new clothing to purchase.

Are they ok to wear casually, with chucks,t shirts,henleys,etc or am I veering dangerously into "dadcore" territory?
A question perhaps better posed over on the Streetwear & Denim side of the room.

I don't care about trends and don't mind being an odd duck, as long as I don't genuinely look bad
To someone who defines "looking good," as being dressed in what is currently fashionable, and "looking bad" as being dressed in what is currently out of fashion, wearing those jeans would leave you looking genuinely bad.

To someone who does not see things in this way, you might not look genuinely bad.

If you think you look good in those jeans, and assuming you don't particularly care what other people think of your taste in denim, then you haven't any problem. 'Course, that assumption's the key, eh?

I'm thinking these are great for wearing ultra casually.
Hey, they're blue jeans. Pretty much by definition, jeans are for casual wear. At least by traditional menswear standards.

Is it truly necessary to slice "casual" so finely as to have many graduations of denim-based casualness? If so, do "ultra casual" jeans squeeze in between "very casual" jeans and "hyper casual" jeans, or is their rightful place between "extremely casual" jeans and "pajama jeans?"

Look, I'm not trying to bust your chops over this, honest. But when all is said and done, either decide that other people's opinions don't matter to you when it comes to your jeans, and wear what you like. Or decide that you do care about other people's opinions of your jeans' fashionability, and don't wear the jeans in question. (Or, I suppose you could wear them in private, where nobody but your dog can see you in them. So long as you slip Rover the occasional bacon-flavored treat, he'll love you even if you take to wearing light blue, loose-fitting, 2% spandex bib overalls, from Sergio Valente's "Crabwell Corners - 1964" line of Athleisure Denim for the non-Ironic Demi-Casual Prosumer.)

dragos25

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, man,it helps. Chops have remained unbusted and jeans will be worn with rebel pride
fing02[1].gif

Last time I wore denim overalls was a long time ago, and the next time I do is hopefully far away
lol8[1].gif

The kind of money and wardrobe you'd have to have to keep up with trends and fashion magazines is scary...

SMMountains

Reaction score
Hi, I'm curious what your opinions are in regard to which Savile Row tailor has a house style most suited to academia for men in their 30s?

I plan on setting aside ~$6,000 USD and purchasing non-bespoke shirts, pants, and knitwear.

Thank you for reading.

DjangoV

Reaction score
What is WAYWRN? Why is there so many threads on the subject?
WAYWRN = What Are You Wearing Right Now

Multiple threads for posting pics of what you are wearing today (or yesterday if you don't keep up
biggrin.gif
) relating to several different styles/types (= classic menswear, streetwear, shoes etc.)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads