• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Mr Sola

Reaction score

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm looking ahead to fall and want to get a cashmere scarf. I'm looking at these two:

I personally think they're both too short to be useful. The ways I like to tie my scarf all seem to require a minimum of about 72" length to work.

If that's not an issue for you, I do like Johnstons of Elgin's cashmere scarves.

Mr Sola

Reaction score

I personally think they're both too short to be useful. The ways I like to tie my scarf all seem to require a minimum of about 72" length to work.

If that's not an issue for you, I do like Johnstons of Elgin's cashmere scarves.

How do you tie your scarves?

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How do you tie your scarves?

Forgive the stupid graphic. It does at least cleanly demonstrate the most common way I wear a scarf.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would appreciate some recommendations for tailors in the Dallas area. Doesn't have to be within the city, I'm happy to drive out to the suburbs if the quality is better / price lower.

By tailor I just mean for alterations, not looking for bespoke projects.

Enthusiasm

Reaction score
I'll be in Rome for a few days towards the end of september, does anyone have any recommendations of interesting places to visit? Both stores and sights are welcome!

wtb87

Reaction score
Hey all, sorry for the cross posting; I didn't see this thread earlier..

This is for my medschool interview. I just bought my first suit - charcoal gray & white shirt. Is this tie OK to go with it? I'm an older candidate, but look like I'm in mid-30s. Advice much appreciated, Thank you!

I measured the width with a tape and it is 2&3/4" at the bottom.

Also this,
http://www.amazon.com/Tommy-Hilfige...d_sim_a_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1HGAFA5JQ2P0M72N6GR1

loarbmhs

Reaction score
I think it's fine, although I wouldn't go any "busier" with the tie. But because you're pairing it with a classic charcoal suit and white shirt (hope it's a moderate-spread collar and not a button down, to look dressier) I think you'll be fine.

Several other tips:

1. Enter the room with your jacket buttoned--just the top button if it's a two-button coat, or the middle button if it's a three-button version.

2. Unbutton the coat when you sit down, and re-button when you stand up to leave. Bottom line, anytime you're standing, button the jacket.

3. Jacket cuffs short enough to show around 1/2" of shirt sleeve.

4. Four-in-hand knot for the tie; a windsor/half windsor is too stuffy.

5. Plain black or charcoal over-the-calf socks so your flesh doesn't show when you sit.

6. Very plain cap toe lace-up shoes, or if you don't own a pair, the plainer the better. Rounded toe, no square toes. And make sure they're shined!

6. Arrive early to get settled and relaxed.

7. Knock 'em dead!

wtb87

Reaction score
Many thanks for the excellent tips! Will try practicing buttoning/unbuttoning so it doesn't become distracting. I was going with the windsor as that's what I know, so thanks for the suggestion. I bought these for $64 purely on instinct; so glad to have made the right choice.

Also very glad that I'm done w/ shopping!!!

IsteRed

Reaction score
Where can i get a chain like this?

IsteRed

Reaction score
Haha, why? :D
Not made by me but i have some new purchases by septieme largeur, patinated :D
how are you doing?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads