• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

victoremque

Reaction score
I've come to realize that the jacket and pants of my tuxedo essentially overlap at the fastening point which effectively prevents any white from showing through unless I do something ridiculous like jump up and down or happen to walk over a vent. Given that this is the case, and that I'm operating on a relatively tight budget, would it be acceptable to eschew the cummerbund?

Aeren

Reaction score
can i replace my shirt's cuff/collar with same weave but difference super's fabric? (like 2/120 replace with 80 or 100s)

coupas

Reaction score
Guys, I need help with finding socks, here are the criteria:

1. Wool, 70% and up.
  2. OTC
  3. Patterns, argylle etc, not only one-colored or stripes (i:e not Falke or Panterella as I havn't seen any patterns on either brand, only one-color or stripes)
  4. Will ship to Sweden
  5. Quality > Price

Thanks in advance for your links to shops.

E TF

Reaction score

Guys, I need help with finding socks, here are the criteria:

1. Wool, 70% and up.
  2. OTC
  3. Patterns, argylle etc, not only one-colored or stripes (i:e not Falke or Panterella as I havn't seen any patterns on either brand, only one-color or stripes)
  4. Will ship to Sweden
  5. Quality > Price

Thanks in advance for your links to shops.

Berg & Berg only have cotton in stock at the moment, but I imagine will have wool again come the autumn. They often have patterns.

Pantherella do have patterns sometimes. I was just looking the other day and Woods of Shropshire has a couple of Pantherella merino OTCs with a herringbone pattern.

E TF

Reaction score

I've come to realize that the jacket and pants of my tuxedo essentially overlap at the fastening point which effectively prevents any white from showing through unless I do something ridiculous like jump up and down or happen to walk over a vent. Given that this is the case, and that I'm operating on a relatively tight budget, would it be acceptable to eschew the cummerbund? 

Well many people eschew it anyway: at least you are knowingly breaking the rules. I say go ahead.

coupas

Reaction score
Berg & Berg only have cotton in stock at the moment, but I imagine will have wool again come the autumn. They often have patterns.

Pantherella do have patterns sometimes. I was just looking the other day and Woods of Shropshire has a couple of Pantherella merino OTCs with a herringbone pattern.

Thanks! Hadn't seen the herringbones ones before. I placed an order!

emilo

Reaction score
Hi all,

As so many others before me, I am now in a job situation where suiting up is required once in a while. I am looking to buy one or two suits in a slim, short cut, preferably dark navy and charcoal. My budget is around 700 - 1000 USD (400 - 600 EUR). I am located in Europe (UK/DK) - so a brand available within the EU would be best.
Could you gives please give me some tips regarding which brands are best bang for the buck?

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi all,

As so many others before me, I am now in a job situation where suiting up is required once in a while. I am looking to buy one or two suits in a slim, short cut, preferably dark navy and charcoal. My budget is around 700 - 1000 USD (400 - 600 EUR). I am located in Europe (UK/DK) - so a brand available within the EU would be best.
Could you gives please give me some tips regarding which brands are best bang for the buck?

There is a hierarchical suit list around here somewhere if you search. Best bet would be to find something on B&S for that price - as it won't go very far in retail.

emilo

Reaction score

There is a hierarchical suit list around here somewhere if you search. Best bet would be to find something on B&S for that price - as it won't go very far in retail.

I've been trying to find a list like that but with no luck so far. What I am really after, is a couple of brand names that would deliver good value for money, as my mind is an utterly blank slate when it comes to "classic menswear". In other words, I need something to go for when I start my buy/sell, ebay, yoox, and sales hunt for my new suits. Any advice and help is appreciated.

sinfjotli

Reaction score
When you buy your first suit, don't buy it online. There are too many variables that come into fit of a suit, and it is really much easier if you go to a store which has many suits in different cuts, to try what works for you best. Once you have a jacket that fits you well, you can compare the measurements with Ebay, B&S etc. but I wouldn't start off that way.

In terms of brands, Suitsupply has a good reputation here and fits your budget, and their cuts are rather slim.

Edit: The list that Ich_Dien meant is here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/140387/...-hierarchical-suit-quality-list-sfwhsql/0_100

Last edited:

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

When you buy your first suit, don't buy it online. There are too many variables that come into fit of a suit, and it is really much easier if you go to a store which has many suits in different cuts, to try what works for you best. Once you have a jacket that fits you well, you can compare the measurements with Ebay, B&S etc. but I wouldn't start off that way.

In terms of brands, Suitsupply has a good reputation here and fits your budget, and their cuts are rather slim.

if you're in Europe, Pal Zileri can usually be found at discount.

E TF

Reaction score

Edit: The list that Ich_Dien meant is here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/140387/...-hierarchical-suit-quality-list-sfwhsql/0_100

+1 Suit Supply sounds like it fits the bill and has shops in London you could visit to try in person.

emilo

Reaction score
Suit Supply looks to be exactly what I am looking for. Thanks so much for your help, everyone.

Shaney777

Reaction score
Need advice!

AHey all,

I have a few questions. I typically only wear a V-neck sweater over a dress shirt and tie. Chinos and tassel loafers are worn with this.

Is there a rule in society that women wear tons of colors to attract the opposite sex and men wear almost no colors to attract the opposite sex?

I've read on this forum that one bright color is all that is needed. You know, more than one bright piece of clothing looks bad. Is that right? No matching should happen?

Are these acceptable with chinos and v neck with tie?
:http://m.asos.com/mt/www.asos.com/H...f-200=1&sh=0&pge=3&pgesize=12&sort=-1&clr=Red

If so, what colors of chinos would they work with?

Also, would a bright colored tie be fine with these shoes?

Thanks,
Shane

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads