• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Because being overdressed is always in style.

You know, I read somewhere that class isn't about how you dress or what wine you drink, it's about being able to make everyone around you feel comfortable. You know what doesn't do that? Being very overdressed.

There are much, much better ways to dress casually than a suit with no tie, or even worse, a tie with no coat.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Or should I wait for a real Allen Edmonds sale?

I don't much care for the color, and would find it to be of less utility than various alternatives, but if you want the shoes I suspect you're unlikely to find AE pricing them significantly lower than they currently are, at 50% off.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

is a charcoal grey pinstripe suit with plain shirt and tie acceptable for a funeral if I dont own a black suit?

Even if you owned a black suit, a solid charcoal suit is every bit as "funeral appropriate" as is black.

Granted, the pinstripes definitely count against it for funeral wear, and if you had the option of choosing between a solid charcoal and a charcoal pinstripe, the proper choice would be obvious. However, probably 99% of the time you'll still be dressed acceptably.

Wear it with a white shirt and somber tie, and don't worry overmuch about your appearance. Yes, there are such things as guidelines for what to wear to a funeral, but that does not mean that funerals are fashion events. So long as you've made some effort to treat the occasion respectfully, nobody will have the moral right to take you to task for your attire. If somebody does give you a hard time about the pinstripes, that person needs to get his priorities straight.

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
There are much, much better ways to dress casually than a suit with no tie, or even worse, a tie with no coat.
With what he has?

By the way, I don't really understand the problem with a tie with a vest but no coat. I'm aware it's hardly traditional, but it doesn't exactly make you look like a Jehovah's Witness.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

With what he has?

By the way, I don't really understand the problem with a tie with a vest but no coat. I'm aware it's hardly traditional, but it doesn't exactly make you look like a Jehovah's Witness.

If you think that's okay then a vest with no jacket is just fine

wakawaka

Reaction score
Crosspost from a different thread; sorry for doing that, I guess this one might be more suitable for my question.

I've found a pair of boots in a shop in Canada at a bargain price. I would like to have them shipped to US, and then have them sent to Poland, where I live. That's right - even though I don't have relatives in US and have never been to your country, I figured a way that will make shipping cheaper this way. I realise there are customs duties on products imported to US from Canada. However, as far as I know, some exclusions apply - for instance, I've heard products made in US are free of tax imposing. And as a matter of fact, the boots I'm interested in are US-made. Would that save me from paying?

Will appreciate help from people who have had some experience with these issues - I'm counting on you :).

AmericanLion

Reaction score
I just bought my first pair of Allen Edmonds! What products should I invest in to keep them in optimal condition?

I'm new to the dress shoe game so if someone could point me in a direction of a good place to purchase a shoe horn, shoe tree and whatever polishes and protectors I need that would be awesome!

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just bought my first pair of Allen Edmonds! What products should I invest in to keep them in optimal condition?

I'm new to the dress shoe game so if someone could point me in a direction of a good place to purchase a shoe horn, shoe tree and whatever polishes and protectors I need that would be awesome!

Number one is trees. Either your feet or trees should be in them at all times.

Number two is a shoe horn, so you dont crush the back of the shoe when putting it on.

Number three is learning how to polish them to keep the leather supple.

Allen Edmonds sells good trees and polishes, and I'm sure they probably have a shoe horn as well. You can sometimes get cheaper trees on eBay or Sierra Trading Post.

Last edited:

mcbrown

Reaction score

With what he has?

Sure, no one will die if you wear your vest with no jacket. No one will die if you wear a black suit. No one will die if you wear ugly square-toed shoes. No one will die if you wear a jacket two sizes too big.

But people are coming here for advice from people who care deeply about certain norms and traditions of dress. And if you're saying that the advice people give should ignore these things then what is the point?

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

With what he has?

Because he will look like a waiter at best, a child at worst.

If it's a casual event, nothing wrong with trousers, an OCBD, and a sweater paired with nice shoes. Or, a step up the ladder, a sport coat. Then a sport coat with tie. Then a suit, with tie.

But the tie with no coat look is awful in just about any situation other than some of the crazy **** that ends up in the SW&D board, but I don't think that's what we're talking about here.

Gosroth

Reaction score
I just made an order for two DB suits at a local mto shop, after making a test suit at the place previously and being resonably satisfied.

I made a number of adjustments, but now realize I might have overlooked one important thing: button stance.
Is it too low?
Non-functional top buttons could be moved up a few cm, functional buttons will be harder to remedy. I do favor a lower buttons stance when it comes to SB suits, but not really sure what I prefer in terms of DB yet.

(apologies for the terrible photos but I hope it's still possible to judge from them).

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The button stance looks perfectly fine. If anything, it's too high. But it's perfectly reasonable, and I would leave it exactly as it is.

DaytonaJoe

Reaction score
I've just purchased my first MTM shirt from Modern Tailor. It seems as though the sleeves are too long. I want to modify my measurements for a better fitting shirt: do you guys have any specific recommendations?

Edit: attempting to fix pics

Last edited:

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another question tied to this one. What kind of shirts can I wear the green tie with? Plenty with the navy but I can't seem to find anything but white to wear with.

Just got two Robert Talbott silk knit ties, my first two silk knit's. They were at Nordstrom Rack so I picked them up real quick since they were the last ones.

Was curious if these were good quality. Pictures below.

15TGP.jpg

Pgixe.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads