• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You can't be serious! Honestly, if you are, please hand wash your socks using a mild wool detergent and let them dry flat. 5-6 weeks? Seriously?

He said wears, not weeks. And any sock that can't be machine washed is a sock that shouldn't ever be purchased. Socks need to be washed every time you wear them,

As for the tie, tell me you own more than one tie. Because "take it to the cleaners" is the only real option, and even that can be a gamble.

Archimedes

Reaction score
Sorry it was too early forme to register it properly (even though 5 wears is hardly any better). I suggested hand wash since he is obviously reluctant to wash it at all! Hand washing will certainly not harm even the most delicate of cashmere socks, even though machine washing should certainly be an option as well

Last edited:

AmericanGent

Reaction score
Two quick cleaning questions:

i) I spilled dark beer on a brand new 100% silk tie. How should I go about repairing it? At this stage, taking it to a cleaner is not an option, because I need to go right back and wear it soon.

ii) What's the best method to clean cashmere socks? They've really picked up an odor after about 5-6 wears. I was thinking of lightly spraying Fabreeze into the air and letting the mist settle on the socks.

TYIA

My thoughts are the same as mentioned above.
1- If it's an expensive tie get it to a good dry cleaner ASAP, don't try any magic at home. You can destroy it with too much water.
2- Drink pilsner!
3- I'd suggest grabbing another tie or two.
4- Wash all socks after each wear- they are undergarments that are meant to protect your foot from your shoe as much as protect your shoe from your foot.
Hand wash your delicates in the sink with some Woolite and lay them flat on a towel to dry, same for linen pocket squares and hankerchiefs, etc. For pocket squares - iron while still a little wet so the wrinkles won't set in.

Good luck with the tie.

acedevil

Reaction score
Hello everybody.
What do you think about the suit without the tie look?
How about a suit without the tie but with the pocket square?

Finally, I have a dilemma at my hand. I have to attend a semi-casual party in a short while and I only have my charcoal grey three piece suit with me. (Tuxedo is not an option here) Now with a tie, I look very 'formal' in this suit. So what color shirt should I wear if wearing charcoal grey three piece without a tie? And should I wear a matching pocket square? Or a three piece without a tie is a very bad option?
Dropping the vest would make the coat appear baggy so I think that wouldn't very bright to do, right?

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or you could just leave them on top of the radiator for a week. They'll be just as ruined, and it won't cost a dime.
biggrin.gif

Helpful this one is not

Last edited:

mixedmajik

Reaction score
I was just wondering if there is a section of the forum or a certain thread people transitioning to better style or under the age of 20 should go? I ask because it seems that I'm constantly the only one on a budget whilst the majority here are settled into some high paying job to afford 300-500 dollar shoes or more as if its nothing
baldy[1].gif
Still stuck on that university salary of 0 dollars/month...or negative dollars/month buying textbooks and such haha

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello everybody.

No. It's mixing something formal (suit) with something informal (no tie). It ends up looking incomplete or incongruous rather than casual. If you want something you could wear without a tie, get a sportcoat.

mcbrown

Reaction score

I was just wondering if there is a section of the forum or a certain thread people transitioning to better style or under the age of 20 should go? I ask because it seems that I'm constantly the only one on a budget whilst the majority here are settled into some high paying job to afford 300-500 dollar shoes or more as if its nothing
baldy%5B1%5D.gif
 Still stuck on that university salary of 0 dollars/month...or negative dollars/month buying textbooks and such haha

No special forum, but you don't need one. Everything you read here is applicable if you focus on style rather than price.

First focus on finding pictures of what you like in the WAYWN threads, then think about how you would incorporate that inspiration into specific wardrobe choices for yourself, and only then worry about how to make those purchases on a budget.

Be patient. If you are on a budget it is that much more important that you make your purchases count, so don't rush out to buy things on impulse. Focus on things that will add meaningfully to your wardrobe and not duplicate things you already have.

Finally, just because you don't have the same budget as a lawyer in his 40's doesn't mean you can't dress well. Don't get bummed that you can't afford a specific bag or specific pair of shoes you saw; just invest a little time in finding something similar (possibly used) for less. You have make some compromises, but that's okay - life is about compromise, always. Thrift stores, ebay and the SF buy & sell section will be your friends in this endeavor. Later on in life you'll have a bigger budget, and if you want to buy more expensive things you'll be able to. But if you've learned to dress well on the cheap you may find you never need to spend more, and you might be that much happier for it. :)

mixedmajik

Reaction score
No special forum, but you don't need one. Everything you read here is applicable if you focus on style rather than price.

First focus on finding pictures of what you like in the WAYWN threads, then think about how you would incorporate that inspiration into specific wardrobe choices for yourself, and only then worry about how to make those purchases on a budget.

Be patient. If you are on a budget it is that much more important that you make your purchases count, so don't rush out to buy things on impulse. Focus on things that will add meaningfully to your wardrobe and not duplicate things you already have.

Finally, just because you don't have the same budget as a lawyer in his 40's doesn't mean you can't dress well. Don't get bummed that you can't afford a specific bag or specific pair of shoes you saw; just invest a little time in finding something similar (possibly used) for less. You have make some compromises, but that's okay - life is about compromise, always. Thrift stores, ebay and the SF buy & sell section will be your friends in this endeavor. Later on in life you'll have a bigger budget, and if you want to buy more expensive things you'll be able to. But if you've learned to dress well on the cheap you may find you never need to spend more, and you might be that much happier for it.
smile.gif
Inspirational answer...thanks man...I guess its hard to draw the line between buying something similar for less and buying purchases that count...doesn't always go hand in hand...but that answer made me smile thinking maybe I can still dress respectably. I do find that I'm dressing better than a lot of 19 year olds already so maybe I'm trying to move too fast to dress like you guys like you somewhat alluded to.

sridhar3

Reaction score
You can look stylish on a small budget if you go the eBay and thrift shopping route.

AndrewST

Reaction score
My thoughts are the same as mentioned above.
1- If it's an expensive tie get it to a good dry cleaner ASAP, don't try any magic at home. You can destroy it with too much water.
2- Drink pilsner!
3- I'd suggest grabbing another tie or two.
4- Wash all socks after each wear- they are undergarments that are meant to protect your foot from your shoe as much as protect your shoe from your foot.
Hand wash your delicates in the sink with some Woolite and lay them flat on a towel to dry, same for linen pocket squares and hankerchiefs, etc. For pocket squares - iron while still a little wet so the wrinkles won't set in.

Good luck with the tie.
1' - Not expensive, just my faovirte.
2' - :-O
3' - I own several, just few that I absolutely cherish. Perhaps I was too dramatic in saying I can't take it to the cleaners RIGHT NOW. I just want to wear it again soon, before I have the chance to get it cleaned.
4' - Thanks for this info! Much appreciated.

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hello everybody.

Finally, I have a dilemma at my hand. I have to attend a semi-casual party in a short while and I only have my charcoal grey three piece suit with me. (Tuxedo is not an option here) Now with a tie, I look very 'formal' in this suit. So what color shirt should I wear if wearing charcoal grey three piece without a tie? And should I wear a matching pocket square? Or a three piece without a tie is a very bad option?
Dropping the vest would make the coat appear baggy so I think that wouldn't very bright to do, right?
It won't get you much love here, but I'm a fan if it's more than 60 degrees out. As a tool for dropping the formality level... I'd say go for it. Something else you could do is wear the suit with the tie and take off the jacket almost as soon as you get there.

AmericanGent

Reaction score
Inspirational answer...thanks man...I guess its hard to draw the line between buying something similar for less and buying purchases that count...doesn't always go hand in hand...but that answer made me smile thinking maybe I can still dress respectably. I do find that I'm dressing better than a lot of 19 year olds already so maybe I'm trying to move too fast to dress like you guys like you somewhat alluded to.

I'd echo mcbrown's comments on this subject. I was always very well dressed when I was in college and I was equally as broke. Mind you this was 15-ish years ago in Pittsburgh so the standard was not too high- but I found that I could get good classic pieces from outlets, T.J. Maxx, etc and while they were not perfect they were long lasting and not subject to the oft-changing winds of fashion.

A wardrobe made up of classic, well made, easy to mix pieces will produce dozens of great combinations that will help to "stretch" your wardrobe a bit further.

I'm 39 now but I work with some fresh out of college guys and I always brag that I probably spend less on clothes than they do because I still follow the some methods I did in college. When I first got a decent job I used to blow $80-100 on a shirt from J. Crew or Banana Republic but I quickly realized that those clothes are very temporary and now those pieces are long gone. However, when I went back to my more classic dress-ethic I shopped less often, spent less money, and bought items that I have been wearing for years now.

Wait for Nordstrom's anniversary sale and get a shirt made for $125 and you'll have it for 10-15 years. Also look for a Nordstrom Rack or Neiman Marcus Last Call and dig through their rounders and shoe isles once every few weeks.
I have found some great Tumi leather bags and some nice ties and pants, etc on huge discount this way. I bought a Burberry brown leather man purse at their "outlet" mall near Williamsburg for $250-ish, about 6 months later I looked at the Japanese Burberry site and saw my exact bag in a shade darker leather for $900!

Just be patient and buy well- you'll save money in the long run. Being well dressed and well educated will land you a nice job after college and then you can apply your classical sense of style to a few of the finer things that are a bit dear in price but will be passed on to your kids!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads