• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

LRMD

Reaction score
Looks excellent, and I'd get it for sure...but $525? That is pretty steep. I shelled out 300 for park avenues but this is really expensive...how come it costs so much more than those? Know anywhere I could get it cheaper?

I would be happy to buy a somewhat used pair as they'll probably get beat up anyway.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LRMD
Looks excellent, and I'd get it for sure...but $525? That is pretty steep. I shelled out 300 for park avenues but this is really expensive...how come it costs so much more than those? Know anywhere I could get it cheaper?

I would be happy to buy a somewhat used pair as they'll probably get beat up anyway.

Shell cordovan is a much nicer and much more expensive leather. It come from a horse's ass and is perhaps the toughest thing you can possibly make a decent shoe out of. But there's not a whole lot of it around, and it's a good bit harder to work with, both things that drive up prices.

SharpieMarker

Reaction score
What are the shoe brands I should be looking at besides Allen Edmonds in the $300 range? I know this is the price to get into a good shoe that will last me a long time. I really can't pay taht much retail, but I've been able to snag a few used Allen Edmond's on Ebay, and one at Nordstrom rack for Under $100.

What other brands should I keep an eye on the used market for? I'm mainly looking for dress boots or boots to wear with jeans. Any good suggestions in that price range?

Thanks

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SharpieMarker
What are the shoe brands I should be looking at besides Allen Edmonds in the $300 range? I know this is the price to get into a good shoe that will last me a long time. I really can't pay taht much retail, but I've been able to snag a few used Allen Edmond's on Ebay, and one at Nordstrom rack for Under $100.

What other brands should I keep an eye on the used market for? I'm mainly looking for dress boots or boots to wear with jeans. Any good suggestions in that price range?

Thanks

Used Alden shoes can be good. You can sometimes get seconds at a decent discount.

mrtef3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LRMD
Looks excellent, and I'd get it for sure...but $525? That is pretty steep. I shelled out 300 for park avenues but this is really expensive...how come it costs so much more than those? Know anywhere I could get it cheaper? I would be happy to buy a somewhat used pair as they'll probably get beat up anyway.
I got a gently used pair on eBay last year for just under 3-hundy; consider it one of my better finds, but they're few and far between.

htt

Reaction score
Searched all over and couldn't find an answer to this. Recently bought a pair of RLBL linen slacks at Bloomingdales on sale for about $80 after all the discounts, but the slacks look just like regular dress pants. They're Italian made and seem really nice -- but of course they wrinkle more easily. Does anyone know anything about linen slacks? Can I wear these to work?

Thanks for the help!

HTT

eztantz

Reaction score
John Varvatos suits such as this one - are they canvassed? How is the quality and construction? What do they compare to?

AnnSOS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
A businessman will match his sock to his trouser color.
A gentleman will match his socks to his mood.

I love this answer, I'd like to quote you somewhere, next e-zine I write on socks! :)

AnnSOS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Figured it might be time for this... Perhaps a pin? Just to cut down on all the clutter and new members jumping in for one question
Mods - edit/delete as you wish, just trying to help. This seems quite useful in SW&D

My Quick Questions:
What does the term "drop" mean?
Are there rules for matching socks? do they go with shoe color, pants color, etc?

Yes, Adam Parker detailed it correctly, I would only add that European suits often have a greater drop, 6, or 7 inches, and American suits often have lesser drop, or difference between the chest and the waist because Americans (unfortunately) are fatter.

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eztantz
John Varvatos suits such as this one - are they canvassed? How is the quality and construction? What do they compare to?

I saw a few of those at a Marshall's in Virginia, not fully canvassed. Pretty good looking suit. I think they were about $250 at Marshall's. Very limited selection though.

najpie

Reaction score
Should I buy these?

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Edmonds-.../dp/B000LYA5HI

An area store has them in my size in black calf (not pebble grain) for $159. I'm having a tough time justifying it because I don't make that much money, but could use another pair of black dress shoes. They are comfy and I like them. Will they last a long time if I treat them right?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Larson McCord
I saw a few of those at a Marshall's in Virginia, not fully canvassed. Pretty good looking suit. I think they were about $250 at Marshall's. Very limited selection though.

I believe that John Varvatos mainline suits are half canvassed. Star USA suits (as linked) are fused. They're not bad looking, though, and the cut works very well on an athletic frame. As fused, entry-level suits go, a Varvatos Star USA on deep discount isn't a terrible choice. Just don't think you're getting an amazingly high quality suit or anything.

kudude

Reaction score
I'm coming out of grad school in science (lots of jean shorts and mullets. Not me, but they're around) and going into consulting at what we'll call a "relatively high level".

I need some clothes and have no clue what to do, where to buy or who to get the thumbs up from.

I ride a road bike and when I pull up next to someone I can immediately judge on a thousand different little things and make up a composite in my mind of the person...it takes about 3 seconds. I'm imagining the same thing happens when sizing up another guy in business attire.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a "quick start guide" to style in the business world?

thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads