Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Is there a place I can purchase tongue pads, besides a shoe store? I would like to avoid purchasing online if possible.

If you have access to Nordstrom's, you can get them for free. Just go up to any person in the shoe dept (can even be women's) and ask for tongue pads. Just say it was for shoe you purchased (or for your girlfriend). Last time I asked, they just handed me 3 pairs with no questions asked.

2. click here

click here Senior member

DUMB QUESTION: How can a tailor shorten the sleeve of a blazer if there is buttons on the cuff? I don't understand...

3. w.o.e.is.me.

w.o.e.is.me. Senior member

The clue is in the name. STYLE forum, not gay accessory bandwagon jumping forum.

oh. clearly i'm in the wrong place then. thanks. i'll find the appropriate forum.

4. EZETHATSME

EZETHATSME Senior member

^[​IMG] By the way, best of luck in the Esquire contest, w.o.e.!

EZ

5. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

DUMB QUESTION: How can a tailor shorten the sleeve of a blazer if there is buttons on the cuff? I don't understand...

Buttons can get taken off and re attached.

Is it possible to wear a beige/khaki trench coat with a black or a dark blue suit or do the colors not go well together?
    What about wearing a dark blue trench coat with a black suit?

Yes. You don't see much of the suit anyway, the point of a raincoat is to keep you and most of your clothes dry.

Question:

Is the only difference, between a 38S and a 38R coat, the length of the sleeve and NOT the length of the coat?

No, the length of the jacket will differ as well. Or rather, it should. If it doesn't, then there's an issue.

6. arc

arc Senior member

Question:

Is the only difference, between a 38S and a 38R coat, the length of the sleeve and NOT the length of the coat?

The BOC measurement is usually 1-2 inches shorter.

7. HCE

HCE New Member

Thoughts on these? To wear with a suit in solid dark navy.

8. arc

arc Senior member

Those are pretty ugly, imho.

9. wetnose

wetnose Senior member

Sure they can. They take it off from the top of where the sleeve attaches to the body of the jacket. More tricky and expensive though.

10. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

Thoughts on these? To wear with a suit in solid dark navy.

It should work fine. Though I also don't think the shoes look very good, but that is just personal styling preference. There is nothing physically wrong with those shoes.

11. Spaghettimatt

Spaghettimatt Senior member

Simple question: I wear a 7 in Sperry Topsiders, and 6.5 in Jack Purcells.

What size should I be going for in Clarks DBs?

12. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Is it possible to wear a beige/khaki trench coat with a black or a dark blue suit or do the colors not go well together?
    What about wearing a dark blue trench coat with a black suit?

Yes. You don't see much of the suit anyway, the point of a raincoat is to keep you and most of your clothes dry.
    Just because an article of clothing has a utilitarian purpose doesn't mean it shouldn't also be coordinated with your other clothing. Part of the reason that the classic trench coat is beige is that as a neutral color, it coordinates well with nearly all traditional business suit colors. The same is not true for a dark blue trench.

13. Spinario

Spinario Member

I love these shoes but I'm afraid to wear them outside of the US. Can anyone verify if these are Sea Turtle? Labeled May...? Handmade in Hong Kong vintage probably late 60's Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Spinario

Spinario Member

Did a bit more research, so it looks like the maker is Mayer of HK in the Mandarin Hotel still not sure about the turtle though.

15. rjd.ickerson@comcast

[email protected] New Member

Hello All - I will be in SF this weekend and am looking for a good place to buy a very traditional high quality bow tie for a black tie affair. Can anyone point me to the best place to get good assistance with such a purchase? Thanks.