• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drøn
i have a really nice cashmere knit, but i don't like the neck hole. it's too small and round. i would like to show a little shirt and tie when wearing it.
how do i make the hole bigger and maybe get a v-shape? can i do this myself or do i need to take it to a tailor?

Knits are not generally easily altered because unlike woven cloths, they cannot simply be cut and restitched to form a new seam. You might be able to find some kind of weaver or reweaver who is able to properly alter knits, but the cost for something such as changing the neck shape is likely to be pretty high.

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Question about the fit of slim fit chino cotton trousers.

Pockets should lie flat when standing straight, correct Is a slight amount of "bowing" of the pockets acceptable while walking?

TieMyShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oakcircle
I'm looking at a wool, tan colored suit that would need the pant's waist and length let out. Should there be any problem with there being evidence of these alterations?

If you're talking about odd shape or mismatched color from fading resulting from this, then there is a problem.

skrooler

Reaction score
Ignoring all else. How is the fit on this sport coat? It's not mine, I'm just using it for sizing purposes. It is a 40L. Other than hitting the gym, do I have any other options? I'm 6'4" btw.
Fq38Xh.jpg
ioUg2h.jpg
jQsPKh.jpg

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skrooler
Ignoring all else. How is the fit on this sport coat?

It's not mine, I'm just using it for sizing purposes.

It is a 40L. Other than hitting the gym, do I have any other options?

I'm 6'4" btw.

Fq38Xh.jpg
ioUg2h.jpg
jQsPKh.jpg

Start by unbuttoning the bottom button on the jacket. It looks like you could go down a size. Is it a vintage find or is it new?

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where I could get some Allen Edmonds Moras? I found a nice pair in a vintage store but they were a size too large. I would love to find them in size 11. The shoe was discontinued so its harder to come across now but I really like the style.

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BeaconHillBoston
Question about the fit of slim fit chino cotton trousers.

Pockets should lie flat when standing straight, correct Is a slight amount of "bowing" of the pockets acceptable while walking?

??

Pockets lie perfectly straight while standing. Slighty bow out while walking. ok?

skrooler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by potemkin_city_limits
Start by unbuttoning the bottom button on the jacket. It looks like you could go down a size. Is it a vintage find or is it new?

Well its vintage. Its an old Levi, made in USA.

Sizing down? Its a 40L, they only way I could size down is with a 38XL, which is nearly impossible to find.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ignoring all else. How is the fit on this sport coat?

It's not mine, I'm just using it for sizing purposes.

It is a 40L. Other than hitting the gym, do I have any other options?

I'm 6'4" btw.

Fq38Xh.jpg
ioUg2h.jpg
jQsPKh.jpg

Fit is really bad, horrible even. I am glad it is not yours. You probably need a 38L or 36L (possibly XL, assuming the guy you're borrowing this from didn't have the sleeves shortened). It is way too big in the chest and shoulders. You look like you have square shoulders - keep that in mind as you look for something that doesn't make them look so square.

That jacket looks really old btw, and the gorge and buttons are placed weirdly. Something new will probably not look like this, so you may need to make some adjustments to the advice you're given.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well its vintage. Its an old Levi, made in USA.

Sizing down? Its a 40L, they only way I could size down is with a 38XL, which is nearly impossible to find.

You can find 38L's. You'd just need to lengthen the sleeves. If you bought it new that would probably be free. You cannot wear this jacket and look respectable to normal people, let alone internet clothing geeks/losers.

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well its vintage. Its an old Levi, made in USA. Sizing down? Its a 40L, they only way I could size down is with a 38XL, which is nearly impossible to find.
Then I would suggest you ditch this crappy jacket and find something better. You are better off wearing no jacket at all.

LESGENT

Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger on this piece:

RL-jacket.jpg

What can I wear with it? It's a Ralph Lauren from the '70s. Any thoughts on the potential fit?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any idea on yoox pant sizing? Looking to buy these:

http://www.yoox.com/item.asp?sec=1&Y...A&sts=sr_men80

I am a size 31, so which one should I get? The 36 or the 38?

Also, what is your opinion on the fit of those pants? Do you think they will be baggy or slim? I'm unsure if I should pull the trigger on those...

Thanks!

To the poster above: Most likely, the fit will not be slim. I found that RL shoulders are quite wide for their tagged size. Be prepared to spend another 50-100 dollars on a tailor if you want it to look good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics