• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

durski

Reaction score
What is the difference between a suit jacket and a blazer?
Can one wear a gray suit jacket with black trousers?

Thank YOU

robert in LA

Reaction score
Hi Durski,

You might find it interesting to look in wikipedia.org under their entry for 'blazer'. This is the link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blazer The origin is generallyt thought to be English, though one would think that there are european equivalents. The look derives from a more casual less constructed jacket used for sports and informal wear. There is a slightly military version called a reefer, which is a bit more structured, is almost invariably navy blue or black, has gold buttons, may be double breasted and is traditionally worn, for instance, around yachting events, college clubs and the like.

Of course all of this is a generation back. These days, in the construction of off-the-rack blazers and suit jackets there is probably not a lot of difference and certainly plenty of overlap. Blazers tend to have patch pockets, be made of heavier fabrics like tweeds, perhaps brighter colors, (except for the reefer jacket which is usually a fine, dark navy worsted wood), are cut large enough to wear a sweater underneath, and are seen as practical everyday urban garments.

Suit jackets tend to have a slightly longer skirt, (althought the pee-wee herman look in suit jackets of a cropped jacket is popular for outre club wear among younger men than I am), and are generally more fully canvassed in their construction, and use, typically, very fine gage wools. The buttons are traditionally dark. In a better grade of suit with a lot of hand work the buttons will probably be made of animal horn. Suit jackets used to be made to fit close to the body. This said, there are many suit jackets in advertisements this fall, pictured with sweaters worn underneath.

Does this shed any light on things? Others will have opinions, but I think that the general consensus will run along these lines.

Best,

Robert

robert in LA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kapay
I've read a lot about grey flannel suits or at the very least grey flannel trousers being essential to a wardrobe. However, I can't quite figure out what makes a suit flannel and not the more commonly understood "flannelette" which most people call flannel. And while I'm asking, what are some examples of NON-flannel suits for comparison sake.

Wikipedia has an entry on this under flannel. Flannette is traditionally a knapped, soft cotton, fabric often worn close to the body for shirts, undergarments, night gowns and so forth.

Wool flannel suiting has almost no nap and gains its softness through the weave. Flannel suits were once quite popular, in the 1950's or so. With improved climate control in buildings, the trend was to finer gage wools with more tightly spun threads.

durski

Reaction score
Hi Robert,

Writing to say THANK YOU for your well written response, much appreciated.

Best regards,
Durs Koenig
Forestville, CA

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
What is the center metal piece of a belt buckle called?

I can't for the life of me seem to find an answer, although for some reason "tine" popped into my head.

On The Materialist, he calls it a prong - http://www.thematerialist.net/facts.html.

On some trousers there is a small loop protruding from just below the waistband closure. Slip the prong of your belt buckle through that loop to keep your belt from shifting during the day.

robert in LA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by durski
Hi Robert,

Writing to say THANK YOU for your well written response, much appreciated.

Best regards,
Durs Koenig
Forestville, CA

Hi Durs,

It is interesting, given the importance of mens suits and jackets as design icons, and truly as a kind of history of architecture, that more is not written about this.

What is on the book shelves tends to be in the form of style manuals and not of histories. Plenty is written about the history of the design of buildings, less about the history of the design of cars, and less still about the design of mens clothing. But it this terribly important element in the history of the 'built environment' and surely we experience our clothing as much as we do the architecture of the buildings around us. Moreover we experience it more intimately.

One of the better histories of men's clothing is "Sex and Suits, The Evolution of Modern Dress" by Anne Hollander, printed in 1994. Copies are still around on Amazon. The unfortunately title was probably forced on the author by her publisher, because the books has almost nothing to say about sex, and everything to say about suits, and the orgins of their construction going back as far as the Italian renaissance, which is the first place that padding seems to have appeared to shape the profile of a male garment.

Best,

Robert

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^^ Hey Robert,
I also just wanted to say great answers! I didn't even ask the questions but learned a thing or two from your answers.
MC

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Total n00b here. Anyway, so i just bought a couple Geoffrey Beene fitted sateen shirts (15 1/2/32-33) as I have a disproportionately large neck compared to the rest of my body. I'm trying on a suit I just bought from H&M (poor college student, needed a backup) with those and I was noticing that the collar looked...funny. I could just be being oversensitive, but something about it looks wrong. Here's a pic:
photokd.jpg
Any help you guys could give would be super appreciated. Thanks!

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GraphicNovelty, the collar looks stiff, almost like cardboard. It's a good idea to wash and wear the shirt a few times before making final judgments. The collar will tighten a bit due to shrinkage, how much depends on the shirt fabric.

Invicta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
Total n00b here. Anyway, so i just bought a couple Geoffrey Beene fitted sateen shirts (15 1/2/32-33) as I have a disproportionately large neck compared to the rest of my body. I'm trying on a suit I just bought from H&M (poor college student, needed a backup) with those and I was noticing that the collar looked...funny. I could just be being oversensitive, but something about it looks wrong. Any help you guys could give would be super appreciated. Thanks!

Binge is spot on, however another thing that you are probably picking up on is the shape of the tie space in the collar. The collar on your shirt is shaped like:
_
/ \\ while other shirts have a more strict /\\ shape. It also has to do with teh angle of teh points on your collar and teh fact that it needs to be softend up a bit. It's not "wrong" just different collar styles. Nice dimple on the tie BTW.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by baldicusrex
Can kind of suits look best on bigger guys? 5'10, 200lbs, big shoulders and chest..

Yes.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by baldicusrex
I have absolutely no idea how i wrote can instead of what...thats just weird
redface.gif

Are you asking about particular suit jacket styles: such as single or double breasted? Or are you asking for specific brands? And when you say "bigger" do you mean bulging muscles or chubby?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads