Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Gosroth

Gosroth Senior member

Came across this strange creature in my travels. Double breasted, 6 cloth buttons buttons in two rows, 3 buttonable (or possible 4, with one inside, see pic 2). Must admitt never seeing this configuration before - except on overcoats.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anyone has, I´d love to see picture of it being worn on a person. Been scouring the net with no luck. Been looking to pick up something cheap to try out double-breasted in general and this thing is virtually free except shipping + it fits my extremly skinny build which is pretty rare.

2. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Another seersucker/summer wedding question.

• Early August.
    • Outdoors/open sky ceremony/tent reception within walking distance.
    • Dress will likely be casual.
    • I am not sure there will be ties on some of the men in attendance. Strong chance that there will be no suits or sport coats in evidence. :plain:

I have a blue/white seersucker and white bucks. Blue semi spread shirt. Have not found a tie yet (bow or not?)

Is it too late in the evening to wear this or can seersucker be worn at any hour during the summer?

Also... the pants have buttons. What braces look great with seersucker or OTOH, what kind of belt?

Thanks!

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  3. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Get an appropriate pair of shoes too. Definitely oxford/lace-up, preferably balmoral. You can't go wrong with black Allen Edmonds Park Avenue for this situation.

As for the suit, navy or charcoal is an appropriate conservative business suit. Just don't get black.

4. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Senior member

Nice, i bought a J.crew shirt on sale, and it was a lightweight regular fit shirt, and i didnt like it. So i hope the oxford slim fit shirts are much better than what i bought. But are oxfords shirts slim for a skinny guy like me?

5. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Brooks Brothers is doing their friends and family sale right now. It ends tomorrow, so this may be a good opportunity for you to pick up your suit and shoes.

6. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Senior member

Has anyone seen Loro Piana tags (for the brand, not strictly the fabric) in white? If so what does it denote as far as age etc? I just snagged a shirt with a white LP tag, but all i seem to see on Ebay have black tags the resemble the black tag found denoting their fabric. However, the script and crest look exactly as they do elsewhere. THis may very well be a woman's shirt. Thanks.

7. Hknsm

Hknsm Member

Removed

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  8. Hknsm

Hknsm Member

[​IMG]
    Are the colours ok?
    The suit is really dark blue. Looks black sometimes, but I think the colour tone works ok with the brown shoes

9. Bob5432

Bob5432 Member

Michael. Just went to a J Crew store and bought my first suit. I bought their charcoal Ludlow two button suit. Here is a link
    http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/suiting/italianwoolsuiting/PRDOVR~41794/41794.jsp
    Looks great on me. Doesn't even need any alterations!
    The salesguy convinced me to buy the horizontal stripe tie bar, and it did look good with my tie. Here's a link to that
    http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/accessories/necessaryluxuries/PRDOVR~21821/21821.jsp

Do you think the tie bar is too much?

I agree. The clothes that we wear can influence how people feel. I'm in the IT world, so you know how lousy IT guys can dress. My last office, people showed up in shorts and sandals.
    Over time, I made friends with coworkers, and one day I asked them why they chose to dress up in that manner. Their answer was simply that they did not see the value in spending money on clothing. The other common answer is that bosses only care about it/programming skills, and not clothing. Like you said, to each his own.

Thanks for the comparison between your Sperry Makos, AE Verona horsebit moccasins and AE Park Avenues. It paints a better picture of when I can use my moccasins.
    II didn't know the loafers were sometimes considered old man shoes. I've also liked them since I was in my 20's, now I'm 30.

Thanks for your advice.

Really appreciate your advice. I called around looking for the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue. Nordstrom carried them but they were out of stock. Need to find another place that sells them!

Good tip. I called them but their nearest store was a little too far for me, so I ended up buying a J Crew suit.

10. Bob5432

Bob5432 Member

Thanks alot for the advice,.
    Tomorrow I will go and buy a pair. I called around for the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue. In my area, Nordstrum sells them, but they were currently out of stock!

11. Essential

Essential Senior member

I think so. TheTieBar sells decent ones for $15.

12. Bob5432

Bob5432 Member

Interesting. Didn't know that. Thank you

13. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Sorry, assumed you were in NY, but then again you did say Rockefeller Plaza. I think J. Crew is having their Friends and family sale within the next two weeks, so you may want to hold off on purchasing anything you don't immediately need.

Obivously that suit is not one of them.

If you have an Allen Edmonds Factory outlet nearby they are selling some of their shoes 2 for $200 which is a great deal andwould make great starter shoes.

14. pstoller

pstoller Senior member

The tie bars at The Tie Bar are made of "sturdy polished metal," while the J. Crew tie bar is made of sterling silver. The designs of the bars from The Tie Bar are nice enough, but there's a good reason for the price difference beyond just the brand name.

15. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

are they solid sterling?