• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Gosroth

Reaction score
Came across this strange creature in my travels. Double breasted, 6 cloth buttons buttons in two rows, 3 buttonable (or possible 4, with one inside, see pic 2). Must admitt never seeing this configuration before - except on overcoats.

If anyone has, I´d love to see picture of it being worn on a person. Been scouring the net with no luck. Been looking to pick up something cheap to try out double-breasted in general and this thing is virtually free except shipping + it fits my extremly skinny build which is pretty rare.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another seersucker/summer wedding question.

• Early August.
  • Outdoors/open sky ceremony/tent reception within walking distance.
  • Dress will likely be casual.
  • I am not sure there will be ties on some of the men in attendance. Strong chance that there will be no suits or sport coats in evidence. :plain:

I have a blue/white seersucker and white bucks. Blue semi spread shirt. Have not found a tie yet (bow or not?)

Is it too late in the evening to wear this or can seersucker be worn at any hour during the summer?

Also... the pants have buttons. What braces look great with seersucker or OTOH, what kind of belt?

Thanks!

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really appreciate your honest answer. You've made it really clear and tomorrow I'm going to buy the suit (hopefully they can alter it in time)
I've read on this forum that J Crew makes some decent suits for less than $1000. I like the grey wool idea.

I might even have to show up for a court appearance this year, so I'll be ready for that.

Question for you. How often and with what clothes do you wear your Allen Edmonds Verona horsebit moccasins?

Thanks again Michael

Get an appropriate pair of shoes too. Definitely oxford/lace-up, preferably balmoral. You can't go wrong with black Allen Edmonds Park Avenue for this situation.

As for the suit, navy or charcoal is an appropriate conservative business suit. Just don't get black.

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own a few of their oxfrd cloth shirts. They've held up well, very comfortable, easy to clean, can't complain. That being said, if you're doing dress shirts it seems the consensus is that BB Extra Slim Fit is the winner. I prefer BB by a mile for shirts. One note, I'm not a shirt expert, but areas such as the collar and placket on the J. Crew shirt kind of pucker, and I can't iron them out. I don't wear enough Oxford to know if that's natural or a higher quality shirt avoids that. Overall though, if I wasn't using BB almost exclusively, J. Crew would be my next choice.
Nice, i bought a J.crew shirt on sale, and it was a lightweight regular fit shirt, and i didnt like it. So i hope the oxford slim fit shirts are much better than what i bought. But are oxfords shirts slim for a skinny guy like me?

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really appreciate your honest answer. You've made it really clear and tomorrow I'm going to buy the suit (hopefully they can alter it in time) I've read on this forum that J Crew makes some decent suits for less than $1000. I like the grey wool idea. I might even have to show up for a court appearance this year, so I'll be ready for that. Question for you. How often and with what clothes do you wear your Allen Edmonds Verona horsebit moccasins? Thanks again Michael
Brooks Brothers is doing their friends and family sale right now. It ends tomorrow, so this may be a good opportunity for you to pick up your suit and shoes.

Jpmorris

Reaction score
Has anyone seen Loro Piana tags (for the brand, not strictly the fabric) in white? If so what does it denote as far as age etc? I just snagged a shirt with a white LP tag, but all i seem to see on Ebay have black tags the resemble the black tag found denoting their fabric. However, the script and crest look exactly as they do elsewhere. THis may very well be a woman's shirt. Thanks.

Hknsm

Reaction score

Are the colours ok?
The suit is really dark blue. Looks black sometimes, but I think the colour tone works ok with the brown shoes

Last edited:

Bob5432

Reaction score
A solid medium to dark grey suit is a great first (or only) suit. And if money's tight, you don't even need to drop $1000 on a suit. Frankly, a $350 suit that fits you perfectly is likely more than adequate. (Not that there's anything wrong with spending more than that. It's just that a $350 suit that fits you perfectly will often look better than a $1500 suit that's just a little bit off. And you'll probably feel better in it, too. An alterations guy who knows his stuff can prove invaluable.)
All too few people bother wearing a suit to court these days. Still, it's often a good idea, and it's seldom a bad idea. If nothing else, it might make you feel more serious and focused (yes, the clothes we wear can influence how we feel), and feeling serious and focused when appearing before a judge isn't necessarily the worst thing in the world.
I wear them not infrequently, for various social occasions. They're certainly not my most frequently worn shoes, but if I'm going somewhere where I want a shoe a couple of notches above my Sperry Makos, but decidedly less dressy than the AE Park Avenues, well, that's dress loafer territory. I don't normally wear them with suits, although they're okay with sport coats. I wear them mostly with navy or grey pants; I don't care for the look of black shoes with tan or khaki pants. I don't typically wear jeans, but they'd probably be a good match to a pair of jeans and an OCBD.
In general, I don't care for black loafers; black seems to be contrary to the somewhat informal nature of most loafers. But I do like black horsebit loafers, for some reason.
'Course, some people just don't like loafers. Some of them regard loafers as "old man" shoes. Me, I'm 49, but I've liked loafers since I was young. Well, to each his own, right?
--
Michael

Michael. Just went to a J Crew store and bought my first suit. I bought their charcoal Ludlow two button suit. Here is a link
http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/suiting/italianwoolsuiting/PRDOVR~41794/41794.jsp
Looks great on me. Doesn't even need any alterations!
The salesguy convinced me to buy the horizontal stripe tie bar, and it did look good with my tie. Here's a link to that
http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/accessories/necessaryluxuries/PRDOVR~21821/21821.jsp

Do you think the tie bar is too much?

I agree. The clothes that we wear can influence how people feel. I'm in the IT world, so you know how lousy IT guys can dress. My last office, people showed up in shorts and sandals.
Over time, I made friends with coworkers, and one day I asked them why they chose to dress up in that manner. Their answer was simply that they did not see the value in spending money on clothing. The other common answer is that bosses only care about it/programming skills, and not clothing. Like you said, to each his own.

Thanks for the comparison between your Sperry Makos, AE Verona horsebit moccasins and AE Park Avenues. It paints a better picture of when I can use my moccasins.
II didn't know the loafers were sometimes considered old man shoes. I've also liked them since I was in my 20's, now I'm 30.

Thanks for your advice.

Get an appropriate pair of shoes too. Definitely oxford/lace-up, preferably balmoral. You can't go wrong with black Allen Edmonds Park Avenue for this situation.

As for the suit, navy or charcoal is an appropriate conservative business suit. Just don't get black.

Really appreciate your advice. I called around looking for the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue. Nordstrom carried them but they were out of stock. Need to find another place that sells them!

Brooks Brothers is doing their friends and family sale right now. It ends tomorrow, so this may be a good opportunity for you to pick up your suit and shoes.

Good tip. I called them but their nearest store was a little too far for me, so I ended up buying a J Crew suit.

Last edited:

Bob5432

Reaction score

Thanks alot for the advice,.
Tomorrow I will go and buy a pair. I called around for the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue. In my area, Nordstrum sells them, but they were currently out of stock!

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good tip. I called them but their nearest store was a little too far for me, so I ended up buying a J Crew suit.

Sorry, assumed you were in NY, but then again you did say Rockefeller Plaza. I think J. Crew is having their Friends and family sale within the next two weeks, so you may want to hold off on purchasing anything you don't immediately need.

Obivously that suit is not one of them.

If you have an Allen Edmonds Factory outlet nearby they are selling some of their shoes 2 for $200 which is a great deal andwould make great starter shoes.

Last edited:

pstoller

Reaction score

I think so. TheTieBar sells decent ones for $15.

Interesting. Didn't know that. Thank you

The tie bars at The Tie Bar are made of "sturdy polished metal," while the J. Crew tie bar is made of sterling silver. The designs of the bars from The Tie Bar are nice enough, but there's a good reason for the price difference beyond just the brand name.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The tie bars at The Tie Bar are made of "sturdy polished metal," while the J. Crew tie bar is made of sterling silver. The designs of the bars from The Tie Bar are nice enough, but there's a good reason for the price difference beyond just the brand name.

are they solid sterling?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads