Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would say it depends on your proportions. some say the button should be at the mid-point between the top of their head and the floor. Some people say at the belly button, some people say an inch above the belly button. It depends on your body, how you want it to feel and what looks good on you. Generally, higher buttons around the solar plexus is a fashion thing. Very "in" right now along with shorter hems. If you want something more timeless go down a bit.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  2. kingvlad

kingvlad Member

Greetings!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a qualified seamstress in the Columbus, OH area? I recently inherited a collection of vintage 40's - 60's printed silk scarves from my grandmother, and was looking to turn them into pocket squares. The tailor I visited today suggested I search for a seamstress skilled enough to hand roll the unfinished edges after cutting the scarves down, and I am asking for any advice in this matter.

Thanks!

Nick

3. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Carmina in chestnut brown on the Inca last (similar to this) or the Alfred Sargent Ramsey?

They look very similar and I can't decide.

Any opinions on one or the other?

4. Timbaland

Timbaland Senior member

Thanks for the help.

5. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

ok... I looked that up...it's a similar but different fabric. I gotta say PB I understand that brevity is the soul of wit but..... are you a bit too witty for me here? :D

6. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

how do you mean "import made"? the only article I could find on their backstory and history is that it's run by twin Canadian brothers in Quebec, sourced from Norwegian leather and using Italian manufacturing. How on sale makes it worth it 50% or more?

7. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

8. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

Thanks Kid, but I've actually already read through that post and that Chron article. [​IMG]

I'm hoping that some soft-spoken SFer will crop up and give me definitive info on Nick Lopez and the quality and fit of his suits, but perhaps that's too much to hope for. *Sigh*

9. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior member

where can I find some brown horn buttons? I would like to replace the plastic ones on my peacoat. They are about 1 1/8''.

thanks

10. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

Navy suit, brown shoes:

Black wool coat or brown leather jacket?

11. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

I asked this in the Shoe Care thread but am looking for more opinions:

What would be the best color of Saphir wax to maintain the color of a pair of C&J Belgraves in Chestnut?

Color Chart

12. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

I'm not sure the various colors here really matter very much. A suit is almost always better matched to a wool coat, than it is to a leather jacket. Reason being, a suit is a relatively formal garment, and a wool coat is usually more formal than is a leather jacket.

Moreover, the leather jacket is likely to be fairly short. Having a couple of inches of your suit jacket peeking out beyond the bottom of your leather jacket just sounds like a terrible look. A coat, as a rule, will be long enough that this won't be an issue. So again, nod to the wool coat.
    --
    Michael

13. acedevil

acedevil Member

Right so another question about dressing casually.
    Many people say no black and navy blue together. But my dark navy blue sweater/half zip of the same colour and black jeans, in normal light or even in dark, they still look distinctive and compliment each other. It's a deep dark blue but doesn't look like black at all.
    So would black jeans go with a sweater like that?

And about dressing casually. I don't like t-shirts under sweaters either but when I wear a shirt with a sweater, it looks very formal which I usually wear but I am trying to look more casual.
    A tucked out shirt with jeans and sweater just looks sloppy. (Agreed?) So what can I wear with the sweater and half zip to look more casual? And in what colours considering the sweater and half zip, both are like stated above a dark deep navy blue.

Will a black jacket which has a leather-ish look look good with black jeans and a different coloured shirt?

Oh and lastly, how does this seem for the colder days.
    A grey shirt, half zip navy blue sweater, black jacket and dark blue jeans.

14. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Nick Lopez has been recommended on this forum as being a high quality tailor. Before you drop a pile of cash at his place, go along Westheimer and see Hank at Orlin in the strip mall on the left near Hilcroft/Voss. You will find his prices to be around half what NL charges. Hank also told me of a customer who had a ton of stuff done by NL and brings them to Hank one by one to be fixed as he was dissatisfied with how they came out. Make of that what you will.

15. mlg321

mlg321 Well-Known Member