• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What is the general consensus on button stance for suits here? I see a 2 button suit with a higher button stance with the top button a little beneath the sternum. Is a higher button stance more dressy or casual? I have a slimmer build (6' 170 lbs). Does a higher button stance work for my frame?

I would say it depends on your proportions. some say the button should be at the mid-point between the top of their head and the floor. Some people say at the belly button, some people say an inch above the belly button. It depends on your body, how you want it to feel and what looks good on you. Generally, higher buttons around the solar plexus is a fashion thing. Very "in" right now along with shorter hems. If you want something more timeless go down a bit.

Last edited:

kingvlad

Reaction score
Greetings!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a qualified seamstress in the Columbus, OH area? I recently inherited a collection of vintage 40's - 60's printed silk scarves from my grandmother, and was looking to turn them into pocket squares. The tailor I visited today suggested I search for a seamstress skilled enough to hand roll the unfinished edges after cutting the scarves down, and I am asking for any advice in this matter.

Thanks!

Nick

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would say it depends on your proportions. some say the button should be at the mid-point between the top of their head and the floor. Some people say at the belly button, some people say an inch above the belly button. It depends on your body, how you want it to feel and what looks good on you. Generally, higher buttons around the solar plexus is a fashion thing. Very "in" right now along with shorter hems. If you want something more timeless go down a bit.

Thanks for the help.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ok... I looked that up...it's a similar but different fabric. I gotta say PB I understand that brevity is the soul of wit but..... are you a bit too witty for me here? :D

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They are pretty good for the sale price range. All import made though. A good amount on sale at thecorner and some Barneys may still have stock

how do you mean "import made"? the only article I could find on their backstory and history is that it's run by twin Canadian brothers in Quebec, sourced from Norwegian leather and using Italian manufacturing. How on sale makes it worth it 50% or more?

yywwyy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CDHagg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you have a lot of research to do. their website is under construction and provides very little info. another SFer already had a 2 piece made there for $1,700. http://www.styleforum.net/t/49708/suit-commission-from-nick-lopez-tailoring
http://blog.chron.com/styleprofile/2011/02/nick-lopez-bespoken-word/
it's fully hand canvassed and the quality looks very good so the price seems appropriate.
lol8[1].gif

Thanks Kid, but I've actually already read through that post and that Chron article.
blush.gif

I'm hoping that some soft-spoken SFer will crop up and give me definitive info on Nick Lopez and the quality and fit of his suits, but perhaps that's too much to hope for. *Sigh*

easy_golfing

Reaction score
where can I find some brown horn buttons? I would like to replace the plastic ones on my peacoat. They are about 1 1/8''.

thanks

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I asked this in the Shoe Care thread but am looking for more opinions:

What would be the best color of Saphir wax to maintain the color of a pair of C&J Belgraves in Chestnut?

Color Chart

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure the various colors here really matter very much. A suit is almost always better matched to a wool coat, than it is to a leather jacket. Reason being, a suit is a relatively formal garment, and a wool coat is usually more formal than is a leather jacket.

Moreover, the leather jacket is likely to be fairly short. Having a couple of inches of your suit jacket peeking out beyond the bottom of your leather jacket just sounds like a terrible look. A coat, as a rule, will be long enough that this won't be an issue. So again, nod to the wool coat.
--
Michael

acedevil

Reaction score
Right so another question about dressing casually.
Many people say no black and navy blue together. But my dark navy blue sweater/half zip of the same colour and black jeans, in normal light or even in dark, they still look distinctive and compliment each other. It's a deep dark blue but doesn't look like black at all.
So would black jeans go with a sweater like that?

And about dressing casually. I don't like t-shirts under sweaters either but when I wear a shirt with a sweater, it looks very formal which I usually wear but I am trying to look more casual.
A tucked out shirt with jeans and sweater just looks sloppy. (Agreed?) So what can I wear with the sweater and half zip to look more casual? And in what colours considering the sweater and half zip, both are like stated above a dark deep navy blue.

Will a black jacket which has a leather-ish look look good with black jeans and a different coloured shirt?

Oh and lastly, how does this seem for the colder days.
A grey shirt, half zip navy blue sweater, black jacket and dark blue jeans.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

How much should a black bespoke suit cost?

I thought black would be a good color, because I attend many venues (concerts, parties, concerts) where a black suit would either be perfectly acceptable as a tux substitute, or just plain perfect. I'm considering bespoke because I want a well-made, perfectly fitting suit (I'm skinny with a drop 7-8).

How much should it cost from a reputable tailor, and how long should it take to make it? I'll probably use Nick Lopez in Houston, if anyone is familiar with him.

Anything else I should know before venturing into bespoken territory?
Nick Lopez has been recommended on this forum as being a high quality tailor. Before you drop a pile of cash at his place, go along Westheimer and see Hank at Orlin in the strip mall on the left near Hilcroft/Voss. You will find his prices to be around half what NL charges. Hank also told me of a customer who had a ton of stuff done by NL and brings them to Hank one by one to be fixed as he was dissatisfied with how they came out. Make of that what you will.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads