• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White and purple generally go well with gray. Khaki goes less well with gray but can work depending on the shade of gray and khaki in question.
Staple colors in odd trousers are generally khaki, taupe, olive, and brown. Khaki and taupe are probably the most versatile followed by brown and olive.

I have gray chinos and dark blue jeans, would any of these work better?

Thank you!

Dark blue jeans would work better than most shades of khaki. It's unlikely that gray chinos would work well with a gray sweater.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ya, sorry. I'm not good at, nor do I enjoy, taking photos of myself. This is probably the best I can do:
A12nbl.jpg

:facepalm:
just use a mirror

You know, I never thought of that.

deburn

Reaction score

If you are in Florida, you might want to consider a navy linen sport coat with brown horn buttons and mid-gray tropical wool pants. Howard Yount had some nice tropical wool pants in the summer. I'm not sure if they have any left. Pair with dark brown calfskin shoes.

This is a good idea if you don't go to conferences in cooler climes. As for the conferences themselves, always make it a point to take a SC at the very least. That way you won't be underdressed even if everyone else is wearing a suit (sounds unlikely from what you're saying), and if it's not needed you can either keep it in your room, or wear it - the old saw about better to be over dressed than under dressed et al

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Great, Thanks!

I use thosr lint rollers, but by the time I step outside, I have some hair on my back or a place I missed. Not a huge issue, but it is an issue non the less. I really dislike the gold buttons on some blazers, is it ok to get one without the gold? Say black, dark blue, or brass I think I saw. Does this pair well with charcoal pants? Are black blazers also not a good idea?

I have a navy blazer with mother of pearl (white) buttons, and one with brown horn. Works fine, I like them better than the gold ones too. I wouldn't do blue, looks too much like an orphan suit jacket. Navy blazer looks great with charcoal pants, if perhaps a bit boring.

Black is not a real flexible color, you can't wear it with much. Looks flat during the daylight too.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a navy blazer with mother of pearl (white) buttons, and one with brown horn. Works fine, I like them better than the gold ones too. I wouldn't do blue, looks too much like an orphan suit jacket. Navy blazer looks great with charcoal pants, if perhaps a bit boring.
Black is not a real flexible color, you can't wear it with much. Looks flat during the daylight too.

ya... I'm not a fan of the gold buttons either...brown horn sounds perfect.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really random question but do Bergdorf online orders include tags? I got my first order from them today and nothing in my order includes any tags at all. Kinda weird and I'm probably going to return an item or two...

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know there is little love for the black sport coat here, but humor me:

Do these go together OK?

Coat

Shirt

Shoes

Pants

Last edited:

mlg321

Reaction score
Say I have a pair of 31x32 chinos that fit me pretty well, how much tailoring can be done to make a pair of pants fit my size? There's a pretty good deal I found on ebay for 34x30 pants. Could I get it tailored to fit me?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What kind of answer are you looking for? The black jacket goes less badly with those choices of shirt, tie, and trouser than it would with some other choices though less well than a navy blazer would.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Say I have a pair of 31x32 chinos that fit me pretty well, how much tailoring can be done to make a pair of pants fit my size? There's a pretty good deal I found on ebay for 34x30 pants. Could I get it tailored to fit me?

A good enough tailor can cut down nearly anything to fit. The problem is that tailoring costs start to increase a lot when re-cutting of the trousers is necessary to maintain the proportion of the trousers and proper fit through the seat, crotch, and thighs. At that point, the money you save on the purchase price is unlikely to cover the additional tailoring expense. Unfortunately, knowing merely the waist size and the inseam length doesn't tell you much about when re-cutting or more extensive alterations will be required because those two measurements don't really tell you anything about the rise, fullness through the thighs and seat, etc. It's for this reason that buying things like trousers online is not recommended unless you own or have previously physically tried on the same item. Of course, if you are willing to accept a less-than-ideal fit, you don't have to worry as much about those things.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

as dah pointed out it can be done but how much re-cutting is necessary? I've found very nice wool trousers about three sizes too big but ridiculously on sale (like retail $200+ for around $20). I knew the fabric alone would cost about $80 per yard, so I spent the extra money to do the alterations and ended up w/ a fabulous pair of slacks for about $75. In that case it was worth it. You need to asses those variables and decide... given the measurements you provided I would think you may not have enough in the inseam to get at least two more inches on the hem. and of course you need a great tailor!

Last edited:

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do these go together OK?

Everything you picked goes together well, and there's nothing wrong with black, but that particular coat is terrible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads