• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

mlg321

Reaction score

PRL wool or cotton Preston pants. Flat front, unhemmed, made in Italy, retail for stupid money, able to be had for a song.

Any help on how to get them for cheap? Out of my price range at retail price.

daniel4616

Reaction score
I have a total noob question! First off, thanks for having this site and great info, I have actually been reading a lot here.

Okay, I have been attending conferences for quite some time now. Most are science events, and the stuff most scientists/doctors wear seems a bit outdated, and uncared for. I have traditionally just wore slacks with a button down shirt. Last conference I was way under dressed. Everyone was wearing a suit or jacket of some kind. I felt horrible. I was not dressed correctly for the conference. I am 25, uneducated in formal and business casual wear as I work in a lab (scrubs and lab coats). I own a Chaps suit I wear for weddings and such, but want something a little more casual.

My next conference is coming up in February, and I have many more I need to attend in the next 3-6 months. Again, these are science related, and are usually business casual (not sure what that even means). I want a sports coat/blazer to wear to this and future events. I was thinking a Light gray. My problems are this: I have 2 Maine **** cats, hair gets everywhere. Literally, even if it is locked away bagged and hidden, which is why dark black colors are a problem for me. Second, I live in South Florida, where heat is an issue year round. I noticed sport coats tend to be made of thicker materials. Is there a way around this? I have charcoal and black slacks, khaki and jeans. I would like to wear this jacket with jeans ocasionally to casual meetings with friends when we go out. Can anyone recommend at style, color (if light gray is obsolete), place to buy, places to check out, or pictures of what it should look like? Money IS an issue as well, so please try and help me out. I know this is picky, but is cotton not recommended for a sports coat? I found on on ebay in light gray with black buttons I liked, but just dont know anything about this.

Thanks so much.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Conferences are tough, it's hard to figure out which ones will be ultra-casual and which ones will be dressier. Scientists are fickle beasts in regards to fashion. I usually bring a jacket or two, scope out the general tenor on an early day, then adjust accordingly.

As far as the cats: get a decent lint brush. Use those sticky tape roll things if you need to.

Cotton is less formal than wool, tends to wrinkle. It's also less comfortable in the heat in general since it doesn't breath as well.

Single most flexible jacket you can own is a mid-weight navy wool blazer. You can wear it with practically anything, from going out with friends to those conferences. Don't wear it with black slacks but it's good with most anything else. Grey, especially light grey, is harder to pair and thus less flexible. Grey sport coats in general are hard to implement.

daniel4616

Reaction score
Great, Thanks!

I use thosr lint rollers, but by the time I step outside, I have some hair on my back or a place I missed. Not a huge issue, but it is an issue non the less. I really dislike the gold buttons on some blazers, is it ok to get one without the gold? Say black, dark blue, or brass I think I saw. Does this pair well with charcoal pants? Are black blazers also not a good idea?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are in Florida, you might want to consider a navy linen sport coat with brown horn buttons and mid-gray tropical wool pants. Howard Yount had some nice tropical wool pants in the summer. I'm not sure if they have any left. Pair with dark brown calfskin shoes.

Last edited:

Hadrius

Reaction score
What are some good darker brown suede double monks between $400 and $700?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Comments on how the colors match?
White and purple checked shirt
Grey v-neck sweater
Beige/Khaki chinos
Black/Dark Grey Sperry Chukkas or Clark's DBs Beeswax

What kind of pants would you consider a staple of your wardrobe?
Trying to find a few pair of pants, chinos or trousers (are trousers ok to wear with a bit more casual wear or are they strictly for formal looks?) but don't know which color to get so I get the most out of them? I already have beige/khaki chinos and medium-gray chinos (though since they were cheap I don't think they'll look nice a long time).

Bump :)

White and purple generally go well with gray. Khaki goes less well with gray but can work depending on the shade of gray and khaki in question.

Staple colors in odd trousers are generally khaki, taupe, olive, and brown. Khaki and taupe are probably the most versatile followed by brown and olive.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does this jacket appear too tight in the shoulders?
LKgGjl.jpg

I purchased it last Fall. I have since added a bit of muscle, and it fits a bit more snug than it once did. Though, I believe the style of the jacket is a bomber, and is meant to be a more form fitting piece. I can still move my arms fine, and it zips up all the way, it is just the shoulders that it seem a bit tight. I am wearing a lightweight sweater underneath. Anyway, is it very noticeable?

Last edited:

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Help us help you -- post a photo that actually shows your shoulders.

Ya, sorry. I'm not good at, nor do I enjoy, taking photos of myself. This is probably the best I can do:
A12nbl.jpg

Magnus357

Reaction score
Does this jacket fit correctly in the shoulders? I'm trying to see if I bought the correct size.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does this work? Or is it too much navy?

This coat

with these jeans

w/ some sweater/shirt combo

mlg321

Reaction score

White and purple generally go well with gray. Khaki goes less well with gray but can work depending on the shade of gray and khaki in question.
Staple colors in odd trousers are generally khaki, taupe, olive, and brown. Khaki and taupe are probably the most versatile followed by brown and olive.

I have gray chinos and dark blue jeans, would any of these work better?

Thank you!

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ya, sorry. I'm not good at, nor do I enjoy, taking photos of myself. This is probably the best I can do:
A12nbl.jpg

:facepalm:
just use a mirror
you will be able to take a wider/longer length shot
without raising your shoulder...which makes it impossible for anyone to evaluate whether the jacket fits properly or not

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads