Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

Thank you NORE. I'm glad to hear that someone else has had this issue! I want to learn how to fix this myself so I'll be sure to learn how to shank a button, and to use button thread.

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Traditionally, you button single-breasted coats when you stand, unbutton when you sit.

Personally, I rarely button. And I've been known to put my hands in my pockets too, maverick that I am.

3. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Classic-Wallet-ID.html?sc=8&category=87

I have this and love it! They make regular bi/trifolds as well. Lifetime warranty :)

I would get something darker brown.

4. ChristDriven

ChristDriven Member

Wool tie by Tarmon?

AI purchased a tie at a vintage store in Washington D.C. I came to realize after trying to tie the thing, that its shape and length perplexed me.

A (very) rough measurement of length equaled to 50 inches (no ruler, folded tie in half and used two sheets of standard paper and length of credit card).

Obviously there are some other interested characteristics as the frayed ends. I'm not going to say it is not "traditional" but I will say it is uncommon to me as I have never seen a tie like this before.

My questions are as follows:

1) Does anyone have any experience with a tie of similar characteristics?

2) Are there any suggested knots for it? Four-in-hand seems to create a knot too small for a semi-spread collar. Half Windsor leaves the narrower end very, very short (it ends approximately 4-5 inches below the knot). The half Windsor also allows the narrow end actually to actually be seen from behind the wider end (and not in an sprezzatura manner...at least I don't think so).

Thank you for reading and for any and all assistance!

Jonathan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

You're going to get more response if you make your pictures the right orientation.

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

You are going to have a hard time with vintage ties of this sort. A lot of them are much shorter, which creates issues today because we wear much lower rise trousers than they did a long time ago. The tie end reaching the top of the trousers was easy, today not so much that is why we have longer ties. I have seen them like this before. It is pretty skinny so that is the kind of knot you are going to get. You could also try doing a doulbe four in hand, or a single windsor to get a bigger knot, but you will have to begin with the skinny end very, very short. Good luck.

7. patrickBOOTH

I would say leave it alone. It looks good as is based on those pictures. Try taking photos with a dress shirt on so you can see the sleeve length. You want about 1/4" to 1/2" of cuff showing.

8. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

what to do at company cocktail party?

take photos, have dinner, listen to a speech, skip the dance and go home?

i don't even know :embar:

9. patrickBOOTH

I guess you could, but personally I don't care for the look by itself. Still, opt for an OCBD unless you are wearing a suit with a sweater.

10. patrickBOOTH

What kind of company? How formal is the cocktail party? Where is the cocktail party? Why is there a cocktail party? It all depends.

11. onix

onix Senior member

Whatever you do, don't take photos.

12. patrickBOOTH

The quality of leather and stitching, handwork all of the usual suspects. I would look into Ettinger, Aspinal, Swaine Adney Brigg, Launer, most mid-high level brands have decent stuff too, like brooks, Ralph Lauren, Paul Stuart.

13. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Get sick drunk, throw up on the CEO and insult his wife. Attempt to screw the secretary and tell her she'll loose her job if she doesn't let you have your way with her.

On your way out the door be sure to tell all your coworkers what schmucks they are for putting up with your retarded middle management.

That should pretty much cover all your bases.

14. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

:lol: !! @ Gdot

finance, and it is for an early xmas type event
    if i disclose any other information i might see some of you guys there, i think.

i'm actually going b/c one of my colleagues needs a "date", and showing up for the boss.
    i would like to avoid pulling any awkward turtle. will wine and dine, then go home. dancing not for me..

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

15. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I agree with this, shows real initiative and bold decision making, a promotion will surely be in order :bigstar: