• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Thank you NORE. I'm glad to hear that someone else has had this issue! I want to learn how to fix this myself so I'll be sure to learn how to shank a button, and to use button thread.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What differentiates a cheap wallet from a nice one? Would like to pick my dad up something decent as he desperately needs one, but don't really know anything about nice wallets. Any recommendations are also welcome, but nothing too crazy expensive please.

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Classic-Wallet-ID.html?sc=8&category=87

I have this and love it! They make regular bi/trifolds as well. Lifetime warranty :)

What do you think of these shoes for fall/winter. The rubber heel is fine with me for the rainy weather I have here but I wonder about the color for those seasons.

I work at an office where men wear chinos/nice jeans/corduroys. My pants include tan/cream, olive and navy moleskins, medium grey flannels and sometimes medium dark jeans.
Thanks to all.

I would get something darker brown.

ChristDriven

Reaction score
Wool tie by Tarmon?

AI purchased a tie at a vintage store in Washington D.C. I came to realize after trying to tie the thing, that its shape and length perplexed me.

A (very) rough measurement of length equaled to 50 inches (no ruler, folded tie in half and used two sheets of standard paper and length of credit card).

Obviously there are some other interested characteristics as the frayed ends. I'm not going to say it is not "traditional" but I will say it is uncommon to me as I have never seen a tie like this before.

My questions are as follows:

1) Does anyone have any experience with a tie of similar characteristics?

2) Are there any suggested knots for it? Four-in-hand seems to create a knot too small for a semi-spread collar. Half Windsor leaves the narrower end very, very short (it ends approximately 4-5 inches below the knot). The half Windsor also allows the narrow end actually to actually be seen from behind the wider end (and not in an sprezzatura manner...at least I don't think so).

Thank you for reading and for any and all assistance!

Jonathan

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I purchased a tie at a vintage store in Washington D.C. I came to realize after trying to tie the thing, that its shape and length perplexed me.
A (very) rough measurement of length equaled to 50 inches (no ruler, folded tie in half and used two sheets of standard paper and length of credit card).
Obviously there are some other interested characteristics as the frayed ends. I'm not going to say it is not "traditional" but I will say it is uncommon to me as I have never seen a tie like this before.
My questions are as follows:
1) Does anyone have any experience with a tie of similar characteristics?
2) Are there any suggested knots for it? Four-in-hand seems to create a knot too small for a semi-spread collar. Half Windsor leaves the narrower end very, very short (it ends approximately 4-5 inches below the knot). The half Windsor also allows the narrow end actually to actually be seen from behind the wider end (and not in an sprezzatura manner...at least I don't think so).
Thank you for reading and for any and all assistance!
Jonathan

You are going to have a hard time with vintage ties of this sort. A lot of them are much shorter, which creates issues today because we wear much lower rise trousers than they did a long time ago. The tie end reaching the top of the trousers was easy, today not so much that is why we have longer ties. I have seen them like this before. It is pretty skinny so that is the kind of knot you are going to get. You could also try doing a doulbe four in hand, or a single windsor to get a bigger knot, but you will have to begin with the skinny end very, very short. Good luck.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what to do at company cocktail party?

take photos, have dinner, listen to a speech, skip the dance and go home?

i don't even know :embar:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Can I wear one if I have a v-neck sweater over my shirt and tie? I expect a no, but am just wondering not planning on doing it.

I guess you could, but personally I don't care for the look by itself. Still, opt for an OCBD unless you are wearing a suit with a sweater.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What kind of company? How formal is the cocktail party? Where is the cocktail party? Why is there a cocktail party? It all depends.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What differentiates a cheap wallet from a nice one? Would like to pick my dad up something decent as he desperately needs one, but don't really know anything about nice wallets. Any recommendations are also welcome, but nothing too crazy expensive please.

The quality of leather and stitching, handwork all of the usual suspects. I would look into Ettinger, Aspinal, Swaine Adney Brigg, Launer, most mid-high level brands have decent stuff too, like brooks, Ralph Lauren, Paul Stuart.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Get sick drunk, throw up on the CEO and insult his wife. Attempt to screw the secretary and tell her she'll loose her job if she doesn't let you have your way with her.

On your way out the door be sure to tell all your coworkers what schmucks they are for putting up with your marsupialed middle management.

That should pretty much cover all your bases.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
:lol: !! @ Gdot

finance, and it is for an early xmas type event
if i disclose any other information i might see some of you guys there, i think.

i'm actually going b/c one of my colleagues needs a "date", and showing up for the boss.
i would like to avoid pulling any awkward turtle. will wine and dine, then go home. dancing not for me..

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Get sick drunk, throw up on the CEO and insult his wife. Attempt to screw the secretary and tell her she'll loose her job if she doesn't let you have your way with her.
On your way out the door be sure to tell all your coworkers what schmucks they are for putting up with your marsupialed middle management.
That should pretty much cover all your bases.

I agree with this, shows real initiative and bold decision making, a promotion will surely be in order :bigstar:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads