Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. zzdocxx

zzdocxx Member

That'd be great, the 48L fits my chest perfect but is a smidge too wide for my shoulders. Like that you mean?

He does look rather snappy, I must say.

2. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

1. Sounds about right.

2. It depends. The shade the jeans are at matters, the shade of brown matters. It can be done. It can also be screwed up pretty badly.

3. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

4. RZach

RZach Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Thing to remember about an overcoat going down that far is that you've got to be able to walk in it. I think almost any overcoat looks a little baggy around the legs when standing still.

5. cheesecake

cheesecake Active Member

I'm planning on purchasing my first suit in solid charcoal. I understand that navy and charcoal are both the most versatile colors however with the navy, I could use the jacket as a blazer. The reason why I am purchasing the charcoal is because it is a cut that fits well and is available in my size (whereas the solid navy is sold out nationwide). I've tried searching but I seem to only find threads regarding charcoal pants.

My question is, could I use the charcoal jacket as a charcoal blazer as well? And would it be as versatile as a navy suit jacket/blazer?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011

6. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

You're not going to get much love for using a suit jacket as a blazer in general. Between the fabric and the buttons, it always looks off. Charcoal isn't a very useful color for a blazer on top of that. Navy or browns are much more versatile. Charcoal is great for a suit though.

7. TauKappaEpsilon

TauKappaEpsilon Senior member

anyone?

8. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Yup. I wouldn't wear the jacket to most standard navy suits as a blazer either. Way too smooth a fabric, a good navy blazer has some texture to the fabric, and, while some elements of SF irrationally hate the contrasting buttons, has contrasting buttons of some sort.

Buy your suit, and unless it's in a rough, more casual fabric like tweed, wear it as a suit. Buy your blazer separately.

BTW, a blazer option that won't break the bank: http://andersonlittle.com/
    It's not the highest quality build or fabric, but it's well designed and made, and the owner occasionally posts here.

9. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

What differentiates a cheap wallet from a nice one? Would like to pick my dad up something decent as he desperately needs one, but don't really know anything about nice wallets. Any recommendations are also welcome, but nothing too crazy expensive please.

10. Scotty

Scotty Senior member

What do you think of these shoes for fall/winter. The rubber heel is fine with me for the rainy weather I have here but I wonder about the color for those seasons.

[​IMG]

I work at an office where men wear chinos/nice jeans/corduroys. My pants include tan/cream, olive and navy moleskins, medium grey flannels and sometimes medium dark jeans.

Thanks to all.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

11. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

How often do you button or unbutton a jacket throughout the day? Shouldn't you change it when you sit down? In that case, how often should I expect a button to last, because my middle button comes undone quite often. I paid three dollars for an alterationist to put it back on, and the button came loose after only two more wears! I do not do anything weird with my buttons, or carry a messenger bag or anything that would put crazy strain on my jacket.

Thanks for your advice or suggestions...!

12. NORE

NORE Senior member

I had the same issue but I know how to sew & shank a button. Make sure they are using button thread and shank it properly.

13. iroh

iroh Senior member

do suede shoes require shoe trees? seems like they dont but maybe they do...

14. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Yes of course they do.

15. mlg321

mlg321 Well-Known Member

Can I wear one if I have a v-neck sweater over my shirt and tie? I expect a no, but am just wondering not planning on doing it.