• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

TimLee

Reaction score
During days of rains or snows, there are water and snow accumulated on the ground. I would like to wear rain boots, but in U.S., I have never seen others especially men wear them, and even in stores rain boots are for children and women. So I wonder if men wear rain boots in U.S. in rainy or snowy days?

If not, what kinds of shoes are worn?

Thanks!

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anybody point me in the right direction for finding a very useful post that had links to a whole bunch of different photos of shoes by maker, model, last and color. As I recall each of the shoes was a hyperlink to the photo itself. I remember mostly Edward Green shoes were posted but I imagine there were others.
I cannot find it anymore. Thanks.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/33612/shoe-pictorial-index

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your post inspired me to search the B&S myself, found this one for $90. Might be the exact same tie.
Pretty funny, that probably is the exact same tie! If I hadn't just gone on somewhat of a knit tie buying spree, I might have bought it...

Same as PG? Probably, bit out of my price range though. Nice tie, made = Drakes
Settling with thetiebar version for the time being.
I have in my lineup:
Burgundy standard tie
Black skinny tie
Eggplant skinny knit tie
Midnight Blue standard tie (may want a little lighter blue)
Navy/Red stripe knit tie
Considering adding a blue knit tie and burgundy, wine, or red knit tie:
Which one?
1. http://www.thetiebar.com/database/products/22463.jpg
2. http://www.thetiebar.com/database/products/22645.jpg
3. http://www.thetiebar.com/database/products/22644.jpg
4. http://www.thetiebar.com/database/products/22784.jpg
All these colors/style seem pretty boring, but I like the look. It's clean and conservative and I can always brighten my overall look with a pocket square if I wear a jacket.

On my monitor, I like the second one (wine?) the most, but that's just personal preference. There are also three knit-with-spots ties on the Knottery right now in green, burgundy, and almost-navy: http://theknottery.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=67&sort=20a&page=2. I think you're right when you say above that knit ties are at home in business or smart casual, but not conservative business wear.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks! I like the offerings at theknottery too, the green polka dot looks nice. :)

Regal

Reaction score
Need some help!

I'm sure this topic has been covered ad nauseum somewhere in these pages, but I am a SW&D poster who has yet to delve into the MC forum.

Long story short- I don't often have reason to "dress up," and when I have in the past, I've stuck to the traditional gray suit + black shoes template. I have a wedding to attend and decided to pick up a navy blazer (my first) and gray pants. I was planning to combine these items with dark brown (or burgundy) shoes and a matching belt, but over the last few days I've found myself drawn to the black belt and black shoes look.

What I'm looking for is either affirmation or correction of the following assumptions I've made:

-A navy blazer with brass buttons works better with brown shoes than black.

-With black shoes, black buttons would be more pleasing to the eye.

Am I off, here? I want to go buy some shoes and I'm wondering if I need to swap out my brass buttons if I choose to add black accents to the ensemble.

Thanks!

Spurious

Reaction score
Read a bunch of threads on the subject of Chinese Tailoring.

It is interesting, but in the end, is it really worth it?
I am mostly concerned about fabric quality.

I want to travel to Asia soon and spend a good portion of it (2 weeks roughly) in China and was looking at getting a bunch of items done:
Cashmere sweaters
Cashmere scarves
Cashmere coats
Suits
Shirts

I assume sweaters, scarves and shirts are less of a hassle, but coats and suits, are they really worth being done there? I am afraid to burn a bunch of money on stuff I end up not wearing.

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Regarding suits and shirts:

Most of the conversations about Chinese tailoring refer to Hong Kong. Search the forum and you'll find a lot, but you can start here: The Hong Kong Tailors Thread. You can buy fantastic tailored suits and shirts in Hong Kong, at a great value. It's not the only place in the world (or in China) for this, but it's a great place.

Regarding cashmere, I don't think China is a great place to look. Why not get a made-in-China cashmere sweater at Uniqlo? Or on E-bay?

Makoto Chan

Reaction score

Need some help!
What I'm looking for is either affirmation or correction of the following assumptions I've made:
1. A navy blazer with brass buttons works better with brown shoes than black.
2. With black shoes, black buttons would be more pleasing to the eye.
Am I off, here? I want to go buy some shoes and I'm wondering if I need to swap out my brass buttons if I choose to add black accents to the ensemble.
Thanks!

1. Black shoes are fine!
2. Brass buttons are fine!

Don't change the buttons on your jacket just to match a pair of shoes. If you want to change the buttons because you like that look better, that's fine. Just don't do it for the sake of this outfit because it's totally unnecessary.

Spurious

Reaction score

Regarding suits and shirts:
Most of the conversations about Chinese tailoring refer to Hong Kong. Search the forum and you'll find a lot, but you can start here: The Hong Kong Tailors Thread. You can buy fantastic tailored suits and shirts in Hong Kong, at a great value. It's not the only place in the world (or in China) for this, but it's a great place.
Regarding cashmere, I don't think China is a great place to look. Why not get a made-in-China cashmere sweater at Uniqlo? Or on E-bay?

Thanks for the link, hadnt found that one during my search, will check it out.

What would you recommend for cashmere, which country?

Makoto Chan

Reaction score

Read a bunch of threads on the subject of Chinese Tailoring.
It is interesting, but in the end, is it really worth it?
I am mostly concerned about fabric quality.
I want to travel to Asia soon and spend a good portion of it (2 weeks roughly) in China and was looking at getting a bunch of items done:
Cashmere sweaters
Cashmere scarves
Cashmere coats
Suits
Shirts
I assume sweaters, scarves and shirts are less of a hassle, but coats and suits, are they really worth being done there? I am afraid to burn a bunch of money on stuff I end up not wearing.

I should add one more thing - if you're concerned about the fabric's quality, you can contact a tailor in advance and tell them if you want a specific English or Italian fabric, and they will order it for you before you arrive.

Spurious

Reaction score

I should add one more thing - if you're concerned about the fabric's quality, you can contact a tailor in advance and tell them if you want a specific English or Italian fabric, and they will order it for you before you arrive.

This is good news. I will read some more on fabric, etc. and see if it's worth the hassle. Assuming that ordering the fabric will have a big premium on it.

dasai

Reaction score
What color sweater vest would go with the following jacket/trouser combinations?
  1. navy blazer and grey flannels
  2. navy blazer and tan cavalry twill
  3. brown tweed jacket and grey flannels

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just my opinions here, FWIW.

What color sweater vest would go with the following jacket/trouser combinations?

1. navy blazer and grey flannels. This is a blank slate, so really anything, red, purple, lilac, a brighter blue than your blazer, darker gray than your trousers, go crazy with this combo.
  2. navy blazer and tan cavalry twill. Green, darker brown than the trousers, yellow, light blue...
  3. brown tweed jacket and grey flannels, this one is tougher, without a pic of the tweed, but I would look for a color that exists in the tweed in small amounts and go with a version of that, most tweed has flecks of green or blue or something.

Makoto Chan

Reaction score

1. navy blazer and grey flannels
  2. navy blazer and tan cavalry twill
  3. brown tweed jacket and grey flannels

Those are very neutral combinations, so anything would work, but not in the colors you're already using (navy, grey, tan or brown). How about red? Maroon? Forest green? Oatmeal?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads