1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Such are the ways of a 22 year old ;) If others are wearing jackets I will too but I don't want to look like a try hard.

2. RoddyMac

RoddyMac Member

have you been to DC in the summer! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I live in New York City, same difference. Worse here probably.

4. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

5 degrees warmer on average in DC than NYC. Besides, if I wore a jacket nobody would be able to see how great my tailored and darted Borrelli shirts fit!

1 person likes this.
  5. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

OP said he is going to be working in finance. I don't think the JCrew suit is conservative enough if his goal is to look professional at a finance job. I'm not familiar enough with Suit Supply to evaluate, but the Brooks Brothers suggestion is a good one.

6. zero neck

zero neck Well-Known Member

Oh, that's right. That was a poor choice on my end. Ludlow might be somewhat fashion forward for finance.

Suit supply's Napoli cut might be a good option for a relatively slim but professional looking suit.

7. RoddyMac

RoddyMac Member

I disagree. I work in finance in nyc and there's a lot guys who are wearing more tailored and slimmer cut suits around now. I do like Brooks Brothers though so it's nice to have a range of things both conservative and edgy. I think it shows you're versatile and little more creative in the way you approach things. just my 2c.

8. zero neck

I dont know where that poster is located, but New York is generally on the progressive side of things, unless you work at a very conservative office. And he's just starting out so it might not be a good idea to rock the boat or anything.

9. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Agreed.

10. RoddyMac

RoddyMac Member

I guess I've lived and worked here so long that I don't think Jcrew Ludlow is rocking the boat. But I suppose in other places you're 100% correct.

11. zero neck

Yeah, I grew up around the city and lived there for about 5 years. I guess it just depends who you work for and what kind of clients you have to interact with.

12. micr0c0sm

micr0c0sm New Member

How can this be right?

Granted, I'm a noob, but I thought if I was a 39.5 chest, I should get a 40 blazer. This Hilfiger chart says if I should be in a 38. Worse, it says 38's cover up to 42in chests. How can this be right? Wouldn't that mean all Hilfiger blazers come large out of the box? Anybody have experience with their blazers and can shed some light here? Thanks!

[​IMG]

13. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

Would be obsessive to always put my suit back in its cover? I only wear my suits about once a week or two, so there's a long lag in between. I obsessively put them back in their covers (the bag they come in), but it's sort of a hassle removing them. Worth it? Crazy?

14. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

It takes what, a minute to put the cover on and take it back off? Knock yourself out, far from some of the obsession levels we see around here (distilled water for laundry...) and it's not going to hurt anything or cost you money.

15. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I've read that you shouldn't store your suits in the plastic garment bags, because they need to breathe. If you are sticking them in breathable bags made of natural material you are fine.

16. Oakd

Oakd Member

Im going to a prom with a navy blue (very dark) suit, is it inappropriate?

17. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

18. the_sulks

the_sulks Senior member

What is the proper term for that stuff in the shoes?[ATTACHMENT=2519]shoes.jpg (104k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

19. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

They're shoe trees.

1 person likes this.
  20. delborrell

delborrell Member

I've got a blue suit... deciding whether pink or lavender looks better with it.

The suit color is about like this: http://cdn.styleforum.net/d/dd/208x700px-LL-dd0b7869_P3079.jpeg
    I've got a solid shirt with a paisley-fashioned tie and pocket square, all in light pink. I also have them in lavender. I would be wearing black shoes with the combination.

What are your thoughts?