1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

If I understand you, you have (1) a light pink shirt, light pink tie, and light pink pocket square; and (2) a lavender shirt, lavender tie, and lavender pocket square.

Look, I have nothing against either color, but wearing either trio together is just... too much. Be it too much pink or too much lavender. Too matchy-matchy. Too much of a color (either pink, or lavender) which tends to work best in moderation. Just... just... too much.

Wear any of the items individually, just not as trios. Otherwise, you run a high risk of looking boring, at best. Down right awful, at worst.
    --
    Michael

2. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

+1

Lavender or pink will both work with that suit, but having the shirt/tie/square all the same colour will just look awful and tacky.

3. bigtimebuck4

bigtimebuck4 Senior member

I am having trouble picking out a shirt / tie combo for Easter tomorrow. I will be wearing a taupe suit and want to combine it with a purple tie. I could just wear a white shirt if none of these work, but thought it would be worth trying to spruce things up a bit. Here are my three shirt and two tie options.
    [​IMG]

The middle shirt has some taupe stripes in the pattern. The top tie is a darker purple. Not the highest quality picture but do your best. Like I said, if none work i can just wear a white shirt. Thanks!

4. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

If those were my choices I would go with either the white shirt as my first choice, then the shirt on the right, then the one of the left with the top tie.

I would definitely not do the middle shirt.

5. mikeybates

mikeybates New Member

I have a question about my wedding suit.

I have a white morning coat suit and I'm not sure what shirt, tie and shoes to match with it. The coat and waistcoat linings are rich red (my brides family is Chinese so I wanted to get some red in there)

The advice I've seen so far has said not to go with a white shirt as that would be too formal, but I don't think that's a problem at a wedding.

So would a white shirt, a red tie (matching the lining) and tan shoes be the best match?

Cheers

6. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

7. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

That's the measurement of the garment. A size 38 blazer will have a 42" chest. You would still wear a 40.

8. Oakd

Oakd Member

Bump :)

9. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

No. And it'll look a hell of a lot better than a rented tux.

White shirt, spread collar. Tie in a darker shade of whatever color you like with a classic pattern.

10. Oakd

Oakd Member

Thank you very much for your input. The suit is not quite what I'd like to have but rather what I can afford right now, however I do like the cut. I left it at the store for "fitting"? (making the blazer tighter to the body and the sleeves of the pants the proper size). By the 18 this month ill have it back and take some photos in it to get comments ^^

As for the tie, I was thinking of matching the color of my so dress, too corny?

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Shirt alterations is like Tailoring 101. Trust me, nobody cares. A nice fitting suit jacket, or sportcoat is true art.

12. Essential

Essential Senior member

For pants, what is the difference between hem and taper?

For shirts, what is the difference between pulling in the sides, darting, and pinning?

Excuse my noob questions :)

13. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

A hem is the stitch that is used to set the length of your pants. So your tailor will fold under the extra material and ask you how high/long you would like the pants before he/she stitches it. ALWAYS try to wear dress shoes when getting measured....

A taper is how "narrow" you would like your pants. So some people take a new pair of pants that fit well in the waist to their tailor to get the "leg" part narrowed a bit. Sometimes a style preference. Sometimes to have the pants fit better...

14. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

15. rc-grad

rc-grad Active Member

That's right. Generally, a size 40 jacket would measure 42-44" in the chest, depending on how slim the cut is. If your chest is 39.5" and you try to wear a jacket measuring 40" across the chest, it'd be too tight for comfort, obviously.

16. wannabe

wannabe Senior member

[​IMG]

What color buttons should I get to replace the metal silver ones?

The jacket is a DB gray tweed with hints of blue with patch pockets.

17. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

I think dakish brown horn will work well.

18. smchasta

smchasta New Member

Does anyone have a schedule for Zegna Su Misura trunk shows this quarter? I have been looking for this EVERYWHERE and it's impossible.

19. TheYachtMaster

TheYachtMaster Member

Sorry to bother everyone with stupid questions.

I recently bought a Gant shirt in hugger fit, size small. I am 6' and 155 pounds, about a 36" chest. It fits great in every way but the shoulders bother me. They seem to be rather smaller than all of my other shirts and I am wondering if they are too small or if all of my other shirts have been to big.

Basically, this boils down to the question as to how shoulders in shirts should fit.

Here is the gant. Easy to see where the shoulder seem lies (sorry or corny self-taken photos in the bathroom mirror).

[​IMG]

Now here is how I thought shoulders are supposed to fit, as exhibited by an RL custom fit OCBD. Less slim overall, but still a pretty decent shirt. I added a line to show where the seems lies as it is less obvious.

[​IMG]

The shoulders on the gant just seem so narrow, which is a shame considering it is pretty superior in every other way.

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  20. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Shoulders on the Gant are definitely too small. Second shirt looks much better on you. First one seems to emphasize the slope of your shoulder as well.