1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. jsmaria

jsmaria Member

I'm looking for a pair of grey flannel trousers to dress things up from denim, but down from dress slacks. Not a huge fan of chinos/khakis, so I thought they might help bridge that gap.
    I know very little about trousers. Any recommendations on labels and/or other trouser options?

2. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

I just returned a pair for this same issue over lunch. Apparently they have had a lot of this issue lately.

Edit: Yes, I would suggest sending them back. I walked in with a pair that had the same problem, showed the employee, and he swapped them out for a new pair without any questions asked. I was prepared for a battle and was out of the store in under five minutes (that included time spent browsing). I would think this is worth sending back if only for cosmetic reasons (thought there are likely structural issues as well).

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  3. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

If you've got the money to spend go Incotex, Zanella, Ovadia and Sons or Howard Yount.

If you don't have the money to spend hit up B&S or try PRL or J Crew.

4. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Thank you very very much NOBD!!

5. trash

trash Active Member

I just got a new "property of..." waxed cotton bag and it has a musty sort of smell. is this typical with waxed cotton? I found something on google mentioning some waxed cotton smells because of a linseed oil treatment, but I have no idea how linseed oil smells. is there any way to know if this is just "new bag smell" or if it came from a flooded warehouse? if the former, is there a good way to get the smell out?

6. zerostyle

zerostyle Senior member

Was also wondering about this... what pants do people like for casual wear outside of jeans? I feel odd wearing my grey dress pants out to bars/etc.

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Some people like cotton chinos.

8. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

Cords, Moleskin, Poplin, Linen, Wool... You can find solid casual pants in all of those materials, though bear in mind that the more casual you try and get the closer you'll inevitably get to chinos.

9. Doggonit

Doggonit New Member

I am looking to buy my first suit. I would like it to be a classic (and practical) midnight blue (call it navy if you wish) two-button. Austin Reed are doing made to measure suits from 8-9 oz. wool from English mills for £299. Is that good bang for the buck or should I seek out something elsewhere? And if so, where?

10. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

You're most welcome.

11. madstaxbro

madstaxbro Senior member

_

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  12. JMSBNSN

JMSBNSN Senior member

[​IMG]

Does anyone know where I can buy a floppy hat for cheap like Mr. Rabensteiner here? I want to wear a hat like this if I get caught in the blazing sun. Thanks in advance.

13. dirtrider123

dirtrider123 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where I can get the exact hardware that Ambrosi uses for their side adjusters (i.e. the metal adjuster component)? [ATTACHMENT=450]sideadjuster.jpg (23k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=451]ambrosiside.jpg (100k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

14. gmu85

gmu85 New Member

Hello,

I have the following shirt in a navy/blue check pattern: http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_229048

Can I wear the above shirt with a navy/red striped tie under a charcoal sweater vest with khakis? I also have a gold tie with small white diamonds, would that tie work as well?

Thanks,
    gmu85

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  15. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Either would work, though I would probably prefer the red/blue, since I'm not usually one for gold ties (love it as an accent though). But the first really sounds like a great combination.

16. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Don't know what you have against chinos. A well fitting pair is great.

That said, 5 pocket cords are a great option in cooler weather, and I've been wearing linen quite a bit lately. That whole summer thing and all, and they've been quite wonderful. If you get yourself down to your old navy, there might be a few clearance pairs of a line they had this spring- a white 100% linen and a 55/45 light brown. They're obviously not the highest quality, but the fit is nice and so is the price.

I'm just not sure what you have against a huge category of pants made from cotton twill. If there's something you hate about chinos, odds are it's not applicable to the entire category.

17. RicPac

RicPac Senior member

where can i get a good navy blazer?? looking for wool, less than 300 if possible

18. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

B&S.

19. RicPac

RicPac Senior member

No clue what B&S is

20. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

The Buying and Selling sub-forum.

Also consider Anderson Little's Blazer. http://andersonlittle.com/ It's a blend, but a very good one, and a great price.