1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. dv_indian

dv_indian Senior Member

I wear a size 34 jeans and I am wondering if a size 34 trouser in Brooks Brothers would fit me or not. Is Brooks Brothers' trouser waist size true to size or is it a vanity size with a couple of extra inches thrown in?

2. Yika

Yika Senior Member

I wear a size 34 jeans and I am wondering if a size 34 trouser in Brooks Brothers would fit me or not. Is Brooks Brothers' trouser waist size true to size or is it a vanity size with a couple of extra inches thrown in?

My bb trouser fit tts. However, in my experience, i wouldn't take jean sizes for granted as denim tend to be more forgiving as it stretches more.

3. pandamonium

pandamonium Senior Member

I recently purchased a Saks lambswool sweater from my local thrift store - I washed and dried it, but it feels unusually dry and coarse to the touch. The wool hasn't matted (felted): is there any way to restore the sort of plushness new lambswool items have?

4. binge

binge Distinguished Member

I recently purchased a Saks lambswool sweater from my local thrift store - I washed and dried it, but it feels unusually dry and coarse to the touch. The wool hasn't matted (felted): is there any way to restore the sort of plushness new lambswool items have?

Use Downy and/or regular hair conditioner.

5. AnnSOS

AnnSOS Active Member

Two questions...

What is a good source for over-the-calf socks in different colors and patterns for wearing with jeans and khakis? Most places only have them in very basic colors.

Where can I get sports shirts for the fall in neck/sleeve length sizes? Most sites sell these shirts in S-XL (e.g. BB, Lands End), but I don't want to have to pay to have the sleeves tailored. I'm particularly interested in some casual flannel shirts or something.

I love these paisley socks that Perdog recommended last month: http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...4&ci_sku=N0PPG

6. Timmbo

Timmbo Senior Member

I have a lovely Harris tweed jacket that I received as a gift. It looks great in the winter when I've got some thick layers underneath, e.g. an undershirt, a shirt, and then a thick jumper, if a bit oversized. However, I'd also quite like it fit well without having to wear so many layers. I should probably elaborate, that it is a little too wide in the shoulders, and little too big around the waist.

My question is, would it be a good idea to get this altered at a local 'alteration' service? I live in Edinburgh, but I do not know of any tailors per se, only places that offer alterations. It's a great jacket, and since it's a gift I would feel even worse if it got ruined by someone who doesn't know what they are doing. I couldn't find any recommendations/reviews of tailors here in Edinburgh. Any advice would be great.

7. srendam

srendam Senior Member

Hi guys is taking in the rise of the back of trousers something a tailor would be able to do?

8. bluebonnet

bluebonnet Well-Known Member

What does B and C means for Peal & Co. shoe made for Brooks Brother?

9. pandamonium

pandamonium Senior Member

Use Downy and/or regular hair conditioner.

Really? How would I apply the hair conditioner?

10. Rugger

Rugger Senior Member

What do the letters in trouser for sale ads mean? W, T, K, R, LO etc.

11. aj_del

aj_del Distinguished Member

^^ Waist, thigh, Knee, Rise and Leg Opening

12. aj_del

aj_del Distinguished Member

With a navy suit, would snuff suede shoes look better or dark brown suede. Please keep in mind that I am a conservative dresser. I am looking for a low key look rather than a flamboyant one

13. NOBD

NOBD Distinguished Member

With a navy suit, would snuff suede shoes look better or dark brown suede.

Please keep in mind that I am a conservative dresser. I am looking for a low key look rather than a flamboyant one

Both will do. The dark brown is a bit safer for your wishes, but I don't think the snuff will be flamboyant. (From these two I like the snuff better.)

14. intfxdx

intfxdx Senior Member

Does anyone have any idea about Ermenegildo Zegna blue label ? I found a suit on ebay, it says its a blue label and tags are also blue, is it an inferior line from zegna ? Thanks

15. max_r

max_r Distinguished Member

is 2" of extra space at the end of the toe of a dress shoe too much?

I just got some new dress shoes in the mail with kind of a tapered toe, and i'm not sure if they're too long or not. I would take a photograph, but i currently dont have a camera apart from my cellphone, this is the stock image of the shoe

[​IMG]

the size is 9UK, and they dont feel tight in the toe area. should I send them back in exchange for an 8.5UK?

thanks for any help