Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. dv_indian

dv_indian Senior member

I wear a size 34 jeans and I am wondering if a size 34 trouser in Brooks Brothers would fit me or not. Is Brooks Brothers' trouser waist size true to size or is it a vanity size with a couple of extra inches thrown in?

2. Yika

Yika Senior member

I wear a size 34 jeans and I am wondering if a size 34 trouser in Brooks Brothers would fit me or not. Is Brooks Brothers' trouser waist size true to size or is it a vanity size with a couple of extra inches thrown in?

My bb trouser fit tts. However, in my experience, i wouldn't take jean sizes for granted as denim tend to be more forgiving as it stretches more.

3. pandamonium

pandamonium Senior member

I recently purchased a Saks lambswool sweater from my local thrift store - I washed and dried it, but it feels unusually dry and coarse to the touch. The wool hasn't matted (felted): is there any way to restore the sort of plushness new lambswool items have?

4. binge

binge Senior member

I recently purchased a Saks lambswool sweater from my local thrift store - I washed and dried it, but it feels unusually dry and coarse to the touch. The wool hasn't matted (felted): is there any way to restore the sort of plushness new lambswool items have?

Use Downy and/or regular hair conditioner.

5. AnnSOS

AnnSOS Active Member

Two questions...

What is a good source for over-the-calf socks in different colors and patterns for wearing with jeans and khakis? Most places only have them in very basic colors.

Where can I get sports shirts for the fall in neck/sleeve length sizes? Most sites sell these shirts in S-XL (e.g. BB, Lands End), but I don't want to have to pay to have the sleeves tailored. I'm particularly interested in some casual flannel shirts or something.

I love these paisley socks that Perdog recommended last month: http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...4&ci_sku=N0PPG

6. Timmbo

Timmbo Senior member

I have a lovely Harris tweed jacket that I received as a gift. It looks great in the winter when I've got some thick layers underneath, e.g. an undershirt, a shirt, and then a thick jumper, if a bit oversized. However, I'd also quite like it fit well without having to wear so many layers. I should probably elaborate, that it is a little too wide in the shoulders, and little too big around the waist.

My question is, would it be a good idea to get this altered at a local 'alteration' service? I live in Edinburgh, but I do not know of any tailors per se, only places that offer alterations. It's a great jacket, and since it's a gift I would feel even worse if it got ruined by someone who doesn't know what they are doing. I couldn't find any recommendations/reviews of tailors here in Edinburgh. Any advice would be great.

7. srendam

srendam Senior member

Hi guys is taking in the rise of the back of trousers something a tailor would be able to do?

8. bluebonnet

bluebonnet Well-Known Member

What does B and C means for Peal & Co. shoe made for Brooks Brother?

9. pandamonium

pandamonium Senior member

Use Downy and/or regular hair conditioner.

Really? How would I apply the hair conditioner?

10. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

What do the letters in trouser for sale ads mean? W, T, K, R, LO etc.

11. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

^^ Waist, thigh, Knee, Rise and Leg Opening

12. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

With a navy suit, would snuff suede shoes look better or dark brown suede. Please keep in mind that I am a conservative dresser. I am looking for a low key look rather than a flamboyant one

13. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

With a navy suit, would snuff suede shoes look better or dark brown suede.

Please keep in mind that I am a conservative dresser. I am looking for a low key look rather than a flamboyant one

Both will do. The dark brown is a bit safer for your wishes, but I don't think the snuff will be flamboyant. (From these two I like the snuff better.)

14. intfxdx

intfxdx Senior member

Does anyone have any idea about Ermenegildo Zegna blue label ? I found a suit on ebay, it says its a blue label and tags are also blue, is it an inferior line from zegna ? Thanks

15. max_r

max_r Senior member

is 2" of extra space at the end of the toe of a dress shoe too much?

I just got some new dress shoes in the mail with kind of a tapered toe, and i'm not sure if they're too long or not. I would take a photograph, but i currently dont have a camera apart from my cellphone, this is the stock image of the shoe

[​IMG]

the size is 9UK, and they dont feel tight in the toe area. should I send them back in exchange for an 8.5UK?

thanks for any help