• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Rudiger123

Reaction score
I've bought a very dark navy suit, white shirt and black shoes for my wedding in September. Looking for recommendations for a tie that would work. I'm struggling to pick one. Any ideas?

Taverner.cohen

Reaction score
I noticed on some ties that you can see where the tie keeper loop is from the front of the tie. It seems the problem is worse when the tie is made of a thicker material and the loop is made from the same material. Here is an example of the issue on a brand new Armani Collezioni tie:

View attachment 1004756

(It looks worse in the picture than it does in real life, but it's definitely noticeable.)
Is there a solution to this?
Once I had the same problem with one tie, I felt like iron it, it really got more bad state

useless_username

Reaction score
When choosing a belt size, what hole should I be aiming for ideally?
I seem to be between sizes, with my options being: either the second hole or the second-to-last hole. Which of these should I choose, or should I be looking for a different belt?

I don't think there's a 'rule' per se, but I like to size my belts so they fit the third hole (counting from the last hole, i.e. the one you would wear if your belt is too short). I don't like wearing belts that have a very long or very short end part.

ebayhtl

Reaction score
Hi guys, how do you deal with corn on your foot?
I get corn from time to time (usually in summer) on outside of my pinkie toes, rendering certain shoes unwearable in summer - and particularly annoying as frequently affects one foot only.
While I can buy things to get rid of the corn - do you guys have any remedies on a day to day basis, e.g. putting padding inside these shoes at the pinkie toe area / using a shoe tree to expand the pinkie toe area?

Thanks!

Last edited:

ebayhtl

Reaction score
Let me explain more clearly: I am choosing between two sizes. Should I go with belt that fits me by using the second hole, or should I go with the belt that fits me by using the second-to-last hole?

Should be aiming for the third hole; can you buy a belt where you can cut it yourself for the right sizing (i.e. the buckle is not stitched onto the belt)?

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My current shoe collection includes a pair of black captoe oxfords, a brown captoe oxford, burgundy double monks, and a pair of polo suede penny loafers. What type of shoe should I pick up next? I'm only wearing suits occasionally and lean towards a smart casual most of the time.
A good quality pair of tan loafers. Use neutral polish and over the next 10 years they will acquire a wonderful patina and pair well with cream linen trousers and other summer wear. This patina is different from the manually applied ones that were hot in the last few years. Enduring the blandness of the new tan loafer for a while is part of earning it, there is a bittersweet quality to the endeavour...

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When choosing a belt size, what hole should I be aiming for ideally?
I seem to be between sizes, with my options being: either the second hole or the second-to-last hole. Which of these should I choose, or should I be looking for a different belt?
You should aim to have the middle hole be the one that is used the most.

robxznyc

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Q: Hi, I have two questions on a pair of loafers. First, what's the purpose of the raised seam on the heel counter? Second, what's the purpose of the raised black leather sole under the toe box? Thanks
IMG_6976.jpg

IMG_6981.jpg

styleforumfan

Reaction score
No show socks questions:

Is Falke still the best no show socks at the moment for going "sockless" with leather shoes in the summer? Would you recommend going with sand/beige, black or white color for these? I'm concerned the sand/beige color look a bit "feminine" in case the socks peek through at certain angles.

Thanks.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No show socks questions:

Is Falke still the best no show socks at the moment for going "sockless" with leather shoes in the summer? Would you recommend going with sand/beige, black or white color for these? I'm concerned the sand/beige color look a bit "feminine" in case the socks peek through at certain angles.

Thanks.
Can't afford Falke myself, so I go with Polo, Uniqlo, Moc Socks.

I prefer to try and match the socks to the color of the shoes as much as I can. Not really concerned about the feminine look. I would only use white ones with sneakers, unless you're wearing white shoes.

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A good quality pair of tan loafers. Use neutral polish and over the next 10 years they will acquire a wonderful patina and pair well with cream linen trousers and other summer wear. This patina is different from the manually applied ones that were hot in the last few years. Enduring the blandness of the new tan loafer for a while is part of earning it, there is a bittersweet quality to the endeavour...

Any suggestions?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads