• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd personally go for Edward Green or Alden.

You're not talking about something that looks undyed, right? Because I can get behind that too.

MG_2384-1024x424.jpg

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're not talking about something that looks undyed, right? Because I can get behind that too.
No.

Specifically, there are broadly two kinds of patina: those from the likes of Berluti that come from judicious application of acetone and paint; and those that come from decades with what used to be a plain shoe.

The most famous example is probably Prince Charles' shoes: http://the-shoe-aristocat.blogspot.com/2012/04/hrh-prince-charles-and-his-old-bespoke.html - which is the effect I think "museum calf" like mottling attempts to replicate.

@Alan Bee had a nice formerly-tan EG (I think) which you can currently find here: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...ow-part-iv-starting-may-2014.394373/page-3586

Since SF links break every so often I'm reposting the picture:

_dsc2696-jpg.937178

Of course this works better with lighter suit colours, if you're of the mindset that shoes lighter than the trousers don't look as good. An old tan loafer with white or cream trousers... just perfect.

AlonsoMerino

Reaction score
hello, I was wondering if it is posible to add a quarter lining to an unlined and unstructured jacket? As a follow up does adding a lining help extend the life of the jacket?

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where does Marc Benioff get his suits? The fishmouth lapels appear Parisian...

upload_2018-7-28_13-16-36.png

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone speak of the leather quality that Florsheim uses in their Imperial Made in Italy line?

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've bought a very dark navy suit, white shirt and black shoes for my wedding in September. Looking for recommendations for a tie that would work. I'm struggling to pick one. Any ideas?
Traditionally one wears a silver jacquard silk tie. The British actually call them “wedding ties.” They are standard with formal wear (meaning a morning coat), but they also work well with a navy suit as they will distinguish your wedding get-up from business attire.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello. You might have foldeded it where the keeper loop is. I personaly don't have too much problems with this on my ties.Some times the ties have a keeper loop and a brand tag. You could remove the keeper loop and use the name tag as the keeper loop. Like the tie in this picture.

Kind regards
View attachment 1004797
One can also dispense with the loop altogether and let the blades fall where they may. Perhaps that is a bit too Italian for you; many people beyond the Alps find minor chaos of that sort anxiety-inducing, which is understandable except to Italians.

Under no circumstance use Scotch tape like the current U.S. president.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a general question, latley I've been seeing shoes on YOOX, they seem to have a broad selection of italian made shoes from mainly unknown brands. What's your opinion in general? is there anything worth buying? does italian made guarantee any semblance of quality? any brands you can recommend or should I stay clear from yoox?

bare in mind that I am not searching for the best quality shoes but I am looking to put up a decent work shoe waredrobe for day to day use, not spending over 120 per shoe.
“Made in Italy” doesn’t guarantee anything. It doesn’t even guarantee made in Italy.

$120 will get you glued shoes of poor leather that won’t last very long and can’t be resoled. $300 will get you on the lower rung of shoes made to craftsmanlike standards, such as Meermin.

Kelvin0683

Reaction score
Is it possible to stretch the sleeves of an oxford cotton dress shirt a little bit by ironing it?

styleforumfan

Reaction score
Any good source for paper thin 100% linen long sleeve shirts for staying cool during peak summer weather? Don't want thicker linen that blocks airflow. Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads