• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

jared1

Reaction score
Why do I feel like I can't pull-off the Tassel Loafer? I see many pictures of well-dressed sirs wearing the Tassel Loafer, many ad campaigns from clothiers I admire. But, when it comes to me buying a pair, and picturing myself wearing a pair, I can never make the purchase because I feel they aren't 1) dressy, and that they are 2) difficult to wear for some people, a la a Chelsea boot, in that one may come across as trying too hard, or simply, it doesn't work.

Please help my mind figure this conundrum out. Thank you.

ThomGault

Reaction score
Why do I feel like I can't pull-off the Tassel Loafer? I see many pictures of well-dressed sirs wearing the Tassel Loafer, many ad campaigns from clothiers I admire. But, when it comes to me buying a pair, and picturing myself wearing a pair, I can never make the purchase because I feel they aren't 1) dressy, and that they are 2) difficult to wear for some people, a la a Chelsea boot, in that one may come across as trying too hard, or simply, it doesn't work.

Well, loafers are not formal. Sure, they're more formal than athletic shoes, and some people might wear loafers with a suit, but that does not put them into the same category as oxfords or even a derby. Look at the name---'loafer'---it even suggests the shoe's more casual function. That being said, there is still a proper use for the shoe, as long as one understands the context of one's entire outfit and environment.

Regarding your personal difficulty with wearing them, to be blunt, its probably an issue of confidence. If you are not accustomed to wearing them, you have to step outside your comfort zone and simply do it. How many modern men feel that even something as simple as a suit makes them look like they're trying to hard? But its likely because many modern men might wear a suit once or twice each year. However, when one performs an act like wearing a suit (or loafers) more frequently, it becomes part of one's identity, and then one can truly own the style.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tasselled loafers have a long history in the US. They are not currently having their moment, but if you have a bit of a different look against the stereotype of who wears them (old white guys) , they can work. Part of pulling the off can also be a more aggressive shape than just the traditional round toe, short vamped American tassle loafer from central casting

Epicure

Reaction score
Well, loafers are not formal. Sure, they're more formal than athletic shoes, and some people might wear loafers with a suit, but that does not put them into the same category as oxfords or even a derby. Look at the name---'loafer'---it even suggests the shoe's more casual function. That being said, there is still a proper use for the shoe, as long as one understands the context of one's entire outfit and environment.

Regarding your personal difficulty with wearing them, to be blunt, its probably an issue of confidence. If you are not accustomed to wearing them, you have to step outside your comfort zone and simply do it. How many modern men feel that even something as simple as a suit makes them look like they're trying to hard? But its likely because many modern men might wear a suit once or twice each year. However, when one performs an act like wearing a suit (or loafers) more frequently, it becomes part of one's identity, and then one can truly own the style.
I wholeheartedly agree with this analysis. The tasseled loafer is not a shoe for the timid.

To be sure, @jared1, if you think you can't wear tassel loafers you're already beaten. I'd say if you really want to wear them, practise clothing yourself in such a way that you rarely, if ever, come to second guess your choices. You first need to be entirely at ease in your own skin and the skins (clothes) you choose to present yourself in. Once you arrive at that point, you'll be ready to wear tassel loafers like they're a part of you. Good luck!

Epicure

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice! Was reading up on the difference between caiman and alligator. Definitely have to stick with the alligator.

I saw several wallets with prices around $1000 odd. Are prices generally around this range? This is the first time I'm investing this much into a wallet. The alligator leather really elevates the luxuriousness level.

Looking for inputs, does glossy or matte leather look more luxurious?
Price will vary depending on the exact configuration and size of wallet you choose and the grade of the skin. Flawless skins (no visible blemish) command the highest prices, but a beautiful quality tanned skin isn't necessary mutually exclusive from a skin with a few small blemishes. Best that you decide on a budget and approach a maker with a good reputation such as @Chester Mox Leather Goods (https://www.chestermox.com), who for the record have great customer service. At Chester Mox, you'll find that Bellanie will be more than helpful in the process of choosing a wallet that fits you needs, and hopefully your budget (you've still not specified).

Another option may be Frank Clegg. I own a card case and money clip in flawless grade alligator from Frank Clegg, and these are exceptionally nice. However, I must state that my personal experience dealing with Frank's son, Ian, to place my order that included the alligator accessories and customised bags was painfully slow and I had to chase Ian continually. Other customers of Frank Clegg have reported great experiences, particularly when visiting the workshop (Fall River, MA), so YMMV, and I wouldn't write them off as an option. Like I said, the quality is top notch.

In regard to a gloss or a matte finish, my preference is the latter, but it's really up to you. A glossy finish is more in-the-face, showy, some may even say tacky, and I would probably agree. A matte finish is more understated, will take on a nice patina over time, and even feels nicer in the hand, IMO.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Epicure's summary is excellent, however, I think you should also look at forum affiliate @Equus Leather whose philosophy can be best summed up as "whatever is the best, I'll do it".

For example, Charlie uses the same lin cable used by Hermes etc. on the highest end French leather work (and in contrast, Chester Mox for example uses polyester thread). The stitch work itself is a work of art, with I think Charlie himself working on the highest end products (L&R belts, and presumably alligator wallets). There have been a few wallets posted on the Equus thread and the site has ample visual material in videos and photographs. The price of an alligator wallet is equivalent to Chester Mox's so price is not an excuse either.

Epicure

Reaction score
Epicure's summary is excellent, however, I think you should also look at forum affiliate @Equus Leather whose philosophy can be best summed up as "whatever is the best, I'll do it".

For example, Charlie uses the same lin cable used by Hermes etc. on the highest end French leather work (and in contrast, Chester Mox for example uses polyester thread). The stitch work itself is a work of art, with I think Charlie himself working on the highest end products (L&R belts, and presumably alligator wallets). There have been a few wallets posted on the Equus thread and the site has ample visual material in videos and photographs. The price of an alligator wallet is equivalent to Chester Mox's so price is not an excuse either.
@crdb, great advice. While I've not commissioned anything from Equus Leather, many here on the forum are very satisfied customers. One more quality maker for the OP's consideration.

However, I must point out that Bellanie at Chester Mox has posted many pictures on the relevant affiliate thread featuring her leather goods saddle stitched with Fil Au Chinois Linen thread. Looking at the Chester Mox website, it becomes clear that the linen thread is an upgrade, but at a nominal fee of US $12, I hardly see this as a problem. Here's an example of what is available for US $750. Even with upgrades/personalisation, the total price won't blow out beyond $800: https://www.chestermox.com/wallets/480-genuine-american-alligator-bifold-wallet.html

To the OP, having provided three top makers for your consideration over the course of this conversation, I think we've exhausted options far enough. Sure there are other makers, but you could research forever and end up doing much worse. I'd say you're good to start your own three-way comparison between Equus, Chester Mox and Frank Clegg, based on what appeals most to your own tastes, and narrow it down to a final choice from there. I don't think any of the three makers will deliver anything that fails to satisfy.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do I feel like I can't pull-off the Tassel Loafer? Please help my mind figure this conundrum out. Thank you.

There’s no conundrum, they’re just not you. And that’s ok, I don’t wear them either because they’re just not me. For me, they have a certain American, waspy, simmering in the hamptons kind of vibe. And that’s just not my style.

If it’s I still your style, then wear them and enjoy. If not, don’t lose a lick of sleep over not wearing them. Enjoy yourself either way. :thumbs-up:

styleforumfan

Reaction score
Are these horn buttons or not? Thanks.

horn.JPG

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pair on the right might be, but the pair on the left look like corozo nut

useless_username

Reaction score

Possible explanations for your tasselled loafer conundrum:

1. Tasselled loafers are slightly pretentious, feminine and fussy. I've yet to see a man who looks good wearing them.
2. See point 1 above.
3. See points 1 and 2 above.

Craftedpig7

Reaction score
After much googling I’m still not sure how to address the stains on my shoes... I had a conference in Nashville this week and while it was great... it’s pretty clear that during the “After Dark” Party on Broadway, something was spilled on my shoes.

D7D49468-0FED-4FAF-996C-737A3B954E23.jpeg

I’ve tried dampening/wiping with water alone in hopes it was a surface stain but no luck. I think it’s safe to assume that it’s either beer or a mixed drink.

I hope they are salvageable... what do you think?

Thanks

ThomGault

Reaction score
After much googling I’m still not sure how to address the stains on my shoes... I had a conference in Nashville this week and while it was great... it’s pretty clear that during the “After Dark” Party on Broadway, something was spilled on my shoes.

I’ve tried dampening/wiping with water alone in hopes it was a surface stain but no luck. I think it’s safe to assume that it’s either beer or a mixed drink.

I hope they are salvageable... what do you think?

Thanks
Why not just clean them with actual leather shoe cleaning products? I feel like I'm missing part of the story as to why you haven't used anything other than water.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads