• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do luxury good manufacturers prefer goatskin (chèvre) to pig, deer and elk? These seem to also offer smooth suppleness and light weight. Is goat in some way more luxurious as a bag/wallet lining material?

As far as I know, deer and elk are both more prone to stretching when being cut, meaning you risk having a mis-sized piece. Pig could work, although maybe a little less supple (recalling here we talking pigskin rather than peccary - with the latter likely being too thick).

Fully Threaded

Reaction score
As far as I know, deer and elk are both more prone to stretching when being cut, meaning you risk having a mis-sized piece. Pig could work, although maybe a little less supple (recalling here we talking pigskin rather than peccary - with the latter likely being too thick).

Thanks for the reply. Wouldn't a high-end house have skilled cutters and extra fabric to make this a non-issue? Also, wouldn't it add to the luxuriousness of an item knowing you have a material that it takes a more skilled hand to work with?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Wouldn't a high-end house have skilled cutters and extra fabric to make this a non-issue? Also, wouldn't it add to the luxuriousness of an item knowing you have a material that it takes a more skilled hand to work with?
I thought you were having a wallet made. What is your wallet maker recommending?

Fully Threaded

Reaction score
I thought you were having a wallet made. What is your wallet maker recommending?

They recommend that I have it fully lined out of French Chèvre leather, naturally. But I've kind of been there, done that — I'd like to do something different. What I need to figure out though is if any change from the norm is going to be a downgrade in quality. I'm currently researching leathers that are around the same thickness (0.4-0.6 mm) as equally luxurious alternatives. And obviously once I've settled on something that sounds like a good fit I'm going to run it by them before I go out and buy a hide.

Split deer skin is looking like a good one so far except for the comment above about it stretching exceessively. Deer is supposedly very soft and supple but lacking in durability (which is just fine for an interior lining).

Last edited:

Albertine.Ignatius

Reaction score
I'm thinking to get an alligator leather wallet. However, having trouble finding a style and a price point that is suitable. Thinking of custom making, any recommendations for the color and inner lining?

Craftedpig7

Reaction score
When I see Allen Edmonds at Saks off Fifth... should I assume they are seconds or of lesser quality? Or are they more likely old stock?

Same question on Carlos Santos “for Saks off Fifth.” There are some pretty good prices on the site of the quality is up there with his mainline stuff.

Thanks!

Epicure

Reaction score
I'm thinking to get an alligator leather wallet. However, having trouble finding a style and a price point that is suitable. Thinking of custom making, any recommendations for the color and inner lining?
What is that suitable price point you mention? I've personal experience with several small leathergoods and an alligator belt made by @Chester Mox Leather Goods and couldn't be happier with the results. They're worth checking out, but it's certainly not a budget conscious option. Is alligator ever a budget conscious option? If an alligator item seems to be too cheap to be true, it probably is too good to be true. Don't get duped into buying inferior skins from caiman, or worse yet, fakes!

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shetland sweaters pair with jeans wonderfully----even moreso than chinos. Keep in mind that Shetland sweaters were originally attire for the working man, out in the harsh conditions.

Here's a great authentic source for them, from a very kind lady who's made one for me: http://www.shetland-knitwear.co.uk/index.htm

Thanks for that link. Do you find the shetland sweaters a little coarse and itchy compared to lambswool?

ThomGault

Reaction score
Thanks for that link. Do you find the shetland sweaters a little coarse and itchy compared to lambswool?
They serve different functions, so different textures aren't a problem. And, of course, they should both be worn with a long-sleeved shirt underneath, so the wool doesn't touch your skin anyway. I've also found that the quality of the manufacturer affects scratchiness; cheap Banana Republic wool is more abrasive than authenticly made items. Furthermore, each person's tolerance for the material may vary; my wife can barely touch some Shetland sweaters without squirming, whereas I don't have a problem with any texture.

Craftedpig7

Reaction score
When I see Allen Edmonds at Saks off Fifth... should I assume they are seconds or of lesser quality? Or are they more likely old stock?

Same question on Carlos Santos “for Saks off Fifth.” There are some pretty good prices on the site of the quality is up there with his mainline stuff.

Thanks!

Still looking for any input here. In addition... I’ve decided a plain toe dark brown Oxford is my next purchase. I’m digging the Brown AE Carlyle but would love to know what else you guys would consider between $300-400 range or less. Would appreciate a GY welted shoe.

Thanks!

ThomGault

Reaction score
I looked into this a bit back when I loved AE shoes. I didn't find a conclusive answer despite quite a bit of research across multiple menswear forums. An AE rep did tell me that all seconds are stamped with a brand in the shape of a shoe, and that all AE's are covered by their warranty unless marked with a "W," so you should be safe in either regard.
That being said, every AE shoe that I've seen at Off Fifth, while having no brand, has been dinged up a bit beyond the point that I would ever consider them as firsts. Whether that occured before or after they left AE is unknown.
HTH.

Craftedpig7

Reaction score
I looked into this a bit back when I loved AE shoes. I didn't find a conclusive answer despite quite a bit of research across multiple menswear forums. An AE rep did tell me that all seconds are stamped with a brand in the shape of a shoe, and that all AE's are covered by their warranty unless marked with a "W," so you should be safe in either regard.
That being said, every AE shoe that I've seen at Off Fifth, while having no brand, has been dinged up a bit beyond the point that I would ever consider them as firsts. Whether that occured before or after they left AE is unknown.
HTH.

Good to know thank you!

styleforumfan

Reaction score
What's the proper way to button up a cardigan like this with flair?

1) All the buttons, except the bottom one

2) All the buttons, except the bottom two

3) All the buttons, except the top one and the bottom one

4) All the buttons, except the top one and the bottom two

Thanks.

rl.jpg

Last edited:

Albertine.Ignatius

Reaction score
What is that suitable price point you mention? I've personal experience with several small leathergoods and an alligator belt made by @Chester Mox Leather Goods and couldn't be happier with the results. They're worth checking out, but it's certainly not a budget conscious option. Is alligator ever a budget conscious option? If an alligator item seems to be too cheap to be true, it probably is too good to be true. Don't get duped into buying inferior skins from caiman, or worse yet, fakes!

Thank you for the advice! Was reading up on the difference between caiman and alligator. Definitely have to stick with the alligator.

I saw several wallets with prices around $1000 odd. Are prices generally around this range? This is the first time I'm investing this much into a wallet. The alligator leather really elevates the luxuriousness level.

Looking for inputs, does glossy or matte leather look more luxurious?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads