• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: Well, you are absolutely more fastidious than I am.

Also, do you handwash your cotton blend socks as OP's socks suggested?

Last edited:

GetBlatzed

Reaction score
I found this a couple days ago at goodwill. I couldn't find anything in the brand on eBay, but popped on it for $5, because it was just so cool. A Google search brought up an Argentinian website for the brand, but it wasn't much help. Couldn't figure out if there was a webstore affiliated with the website or not either. Just trying to figure out if this is something special. To my amateur eye, it looks pretty bonkers. The shell is a patchwork cotton sweater. It's fully lined. Full zip. Do I have something here??

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found this a couple days ago at goodwill. I couldn't find anything in the brand on eBay, but popped on it for $5, because it was just so cool. A Google search brought up an Argentinian website for the brand, but it wasn't much help. Couldn't figure out if there was a webstore affiliated with the website or not either. Just trying to figure out if this is something special. To my amateur eye, it looks pretty bonkers. The shell is a patchwork cotton sweater. It's fully lined. Full zip. Do I have something here??

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Buying a crocodile wallet from Kent Wang. They have the four wallets below available. I am so confused. I sort of want brown color so favor the bottom left. But I think the best scale is the top right which is only in black.

Why is the gap so big between the scales on the bottom left?

What is the best scale?

Matter of taste but I vote top right too.

Gap between scales I think you mean bottom right? Different part of the animal where more movement is needed hence more connecting tissue.

Last edited:

LGHT

Reaction score
Ok, here's a question. I bought some dark blue cotton blend socks at Brooks Brothers the other day. After getting home, I noticed the care instructions read, "Hand wash in cold water. Lay flat to dry." How can that be for real? Is that for real? Hypothetically, what might happen if I pretended that I'm a reasonable person in the ownership of reasonable socks, and just threw them in with the darks?

Furthermore, WTF?

Thank you for your time.

Are they 100% wool? I got several BB socks at their outlet sale and I actually wash all of them by hand and hang dry them. If you don't they will quickly start to "nap" and wear quickly. If you have several pair it's actually not hard to put them all in the wash sink and clean them at once. Take about 15 minutes for a dozen pair.

MikeChevelle

Reaction score
Google was no help identifying this model Florsheim Royal Imperial. School me. I think date code wise late 90s? Model no clue

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are they 100% wool? I got several BB socks at their outlet sale and I actually wash all of them by hand and hang dry them. If you don't they will quickly start to "nap" and wear quickly. If you have several pair it's actually not hard to put them all in the wash sink and clean them at once. Take about 15 minutes for a dozen pair.

latest

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
I am a hard size to fit. I recently came upon a tux jacket on eBay that looks pretty great and will fit me. It does not, however, come with pants.

Is it a fool's errand to buy this jacket and then hunt for pants that match? I recall seeing a post on Put This On about a guy that succeeded in this approach but I fear I would struggle to find a perfectly matching shade of black.

VirgilVerne

Reaction score
I am a hard size to fit. I recently came upon a tux jacket on eBay that looks pretty great and will fit me. It does not, however, come with pants.

Is it a fool's errand to buy this jacket and then hunt for pants that match? I recall seeing a post on Put This On about a guy that succeeded in this approach but I fear I would struggle to find a perfectly matching shade of black.
Depends, price wise is it a great steal?

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, you will never get a perfect match. Closest you might ever get is finding a match and getting bespoke pants made (maybe with some dyelot variation) but that is expensive.

Not worth it, in time / effort / cost, IMHO, no matter how good the deal. If you are an odd fit, just save up for MTM / bespoke suit in matching cloth. If you are a more normal fit just wait for a full suit to come along within budget.

Or buy the jacket and some black watch pants, but that's less formal....

Suetonius

Reaction score
2 questions:

How many pairs of trousers should I buy with my suits?

How easy is it for a tailor to slim lapels on suit jackets?

Situation:

I have 3 suits, I'm starting a job where I'll be wearing them daily. I have a cheap but well fitting black suit with 2 pairs of trousers, another suit I got in the Christmas sales with one pair of trousers, and an expensive (for me) charcoal suit with one pair of trousers. I think I should get a second pair of trousers for it, because I think they're likely to get dirty before the jacket, but it's hard to justify spending £150 on a pair of trousers at the moment. Do I need more trousers or am I mistaken?

VirgilVerne

Reaction score
2 questions:

How many pairs of trousers should I buy with my suits?

How easy is it for a tailor to slim lapels on suit jackets?

Situation:

I have 3 suits, I'm starting a job where I'll be wearing them daily. I have a cheap but well fitting black suit with 2 pairs of trousers, another suit I got in the Christmas sales with one pair of trousers, and an expensive (for me) charcoal suit with one pair of trousers. I think I should get a second pair of trousers for it, because I think they're likely to get dirty before the jacket, but it's hard to justify spending £150 on a pair of trousers at the moment. Do I need more trousers or am I mistaken?
I refer you here for Q2 http://www.styleforum.net/t/51431/can-lapel-widths-be-trimmed

If you wear trousers daily with the jacket I would advise you to get two pairs, although 150 pounds for an extra pair of trousers does seem a bit expensive (to me) , where are you getting them if I may ask?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babara