• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Un-official Luca Avitabile Napoli Shirt Thread

dawei94

Reaction score
Has anyone here ordered MTM or bespoke Friday polos from LA and received the final product? How much room was there to customize the placket? I prefer a slightly shorter, perhaps wider, French-style placket with the bottom part being a rectangle rather than a pentagon. Kind like the style of these pictures

Attachments

• Minami SS polo.jpg
    Minami SS polo.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 191
  • DlmgKyiVsAEPHu_.jpg
    DlmgKyiVsAEPHu_.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 184

nb1820

Reaction score
Has anyone here ordered MTM or bespoke Friday polos from LA and received the final product? How much room was there to customize the placket? I prefer a slightly shorter, perhaps wider, French-style placket with the bottom part being a rectangle rather than a pentagon. Kind like the style of these pictures

I have ordered the friday polo fabric bespoke, and there was a fair amount of flexibility - I ordered the shirt with a french front (no placket)

dawei94

Reaction score
That's good to know about the French placket, they replied back saying they weren't able to do the collar which is a bit surprising since I'm sure they do one-piece collars for regular shirts. Maybe it's just lost in translation.

Were you satisfied with the fit / the fabric / the quality of the polo your ordered? Anything you didn't like / to be aware of?

nb1820

Reaction score
That's good to know about the French placket, they replied back saying they weren't able to do the collar which is a bit surprising since I'm sure they do one-piece collars for regular shirts. Maybe it's just lost in translation.

Were you satisfied with the fit / the fabric / the quality of the polo your ordered? Anything you didn't like / to be aware of?

I like the fabric a lot and the quality is pretty good in my opinion in terms of the handwork in the collar and sleevehead (quite good value compared to other bespoke makers price-wise in my opinion). I have had to iterate on the fit with Luca though, I have found he tends to be a bit conservative on the cut, whereas I prefer a fairly slim fit with minimal excess fabric. To his credit, he is fairly accommodating and willing to take back shirts and make adjustments until the fit is perfected to my liking.

dawei94

Reaction score
I like the fabric a lot and the quality is pretty good in my opinion in terms of the handwork in the collar and sleevehead (quite good value compared to other bespoke makers price-wise in my opinion). I have had to iterate on the fit with Luca though, I have found he tends to be a bit conservative on the cut, whereas I prefer a fairly slim fit with minimal excess fabric. To his credit, he is fairly accommodating and willing to take back shirts and make adjustments until the fit is perfected to my liking.

Got it, that's very helpful. Do you by any chance have any experience with Simone Abbarchi / have you seen any polos from him? Those are the two that I'm considering, as they both visit NYC and are close in price to each other

nb1820

Reaction score
Got it, that's very helpful. Do you by any chance have any experience with Simone Abbarchi / have you seen any polos from him? Those are the two that I'm considering, as they both visit NYC and are close in price to each other
Unfortunately don't have experience with Simone Abbarchi. I tried to visit his place last time I was in Florence, but I think he was closed that week or something. I personally think it's generally worth paying the call it roughly ~10% price premium for Luca's shirts given the additional handwork that you get compared to the purely machine made shirts you get from a maker like Simone Abbarchi.

Last edited:

dawei94

Reaction score
Unfortunately don't have experience with Simone Abbarchi. I tried to visit his place last time I was in Florence, but I think he was closed that week or something. I personally think it's generally worth paying the call it roughly ~25% price premium for Luca's shirts given the additional handwork that you get compared to the purely machine made shirts you get from a maker like Simone Abbarchi.

the prices that I was quoted from the 2 had LA just 10 euros above the price of SA, so basically the same. Seems like LA is the way to go and I should just assume something was lost in translation regarding the collar. Thanks!

nb1820

Reaction score
the prices that I was quoted from the 2 had LA just 10 euros above the price of SA, so basically the same. Seems like LA is the way to go and I should just assume something was lost in translation regarding the collar. Thanks!
Actually yeah didn't realize SA's prices have crept up so much, think it's like a ~€20 difference between the two for a standard bespoke dress shirt. I think LA's definitely the way to go from a make/quality perspective and the minute difference in price.

dawei94

Reaction score
For bespoke, I was quoted 250 from LA, 240 from SA.

Also, as a follow up on the collar, I think it is definitely something that is lost in translation, because Luca Avitabile do a RTW Friday polo with one piece collar:

Guess I've got an answer on who to go with. Thanks again!

leapyourbar

Reaction score
Luca can definitely accommodate the one-piece. He did for me, anyhow. I'm sure you could have it squared off. Just book a video chat w/ him and discuss - he's a great guy.

dawei94

Reaction score
As an update, I ended up ordering one long sleeve and one short sleeve polo with regular collars. I may decide to add one more with a one-piece collar later when we do the fitting, but I kinda want to see both and I like that the standard collar stands up a bit more.

On the french placket, I brought a couple samples to ask as I wanted to make sure nothing was lost in translation. He looked at my first sample, an RTW Sunspel Riviera polo, and said that it was not possible because on the inside, the machines used were different than what he had in the workshop, I had a second sample from another shirtmaker, which he looked at and thought should be possible. He took a couple pictures to send back to his workshop, and based on @nb1820 saying he had ordered one with a french placket as well, I assume it's no problem.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised not having found a proper shirt dedicated thread here: if I'm wrong, I kindly ask to give me information.

A nice shirt with one-piece collar from Santillo 1970, Archivio 1999, linen and cotton fabric, limited edition.

Screenshot (315).png

Attachments

• Screenshot (316).png
    Screenshot (316).png
    1.8 MB · Views: 91
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nattzy