• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

First off, never iron trousers, press them.  This isn’t a linguistic nicety:  they’re different techniques.

T.M. Lewin has a useful video (though unlike him, I almost always use a pressing cloth, just to be safe—he introduces the idea late in the video, almost as an afterthought) demonstrating the technique:

Cheers,

Ac

(too late for you, perhaps, but others might stumble across this thread in the future)

Knowing how to press/iron trousers/shirt is a MUST. If one doesn't know how to do this..........

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Jeezus it's really not that difficult.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ No one said it was difficult.

Being easy doesn't, however, mean that people are born knowing how it's done.

Cheers.

Ac

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a tutorial for how to tie a scarf like the guy on the right?

I believe both of the pictures show the same knot?

Last edited:

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not sure if this is the place to ask but i NEED basics for the fall/winter. is American Apparel still OK for the price? I am thinking Henleys, waffle knits, long sleeve crews, etc.

blake123abc

Reaction score
Hi, I was thinking about buying a Half-Zip Ralph Lauren Polo Cashmere Sweater, are they good quality though? I recently purchased a J Crew cashmere sweater but it was very thin/almost see through so I returned. I'm hoping the the Ralph Lauren would be a little thicker.

Thank you

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thoughts on LL Bean quality for basic F/W wardrobe (sweaters, sweatshirts, henleys, etc.)?

price is right, seem decently made...

AFPJ

Reaction score
Hey y'all, my first post here ...I was politely hushed out of a suiting store today.

Within minutes, someone came up and explained that off the rack is not for me.

I'm 6'3", shoulders are ~50 and waist is 31 but with big glutes and very big thighs.

What are my bespoke options around the $300-500 and $800-1200 price points?

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where do you live? MTM might be the best as it's hard to get bespoke at the cheaper price points unless you can go to somewhere in Asia or something.

Landscape

Reaction score
Anyone got a nice, easy guide/infographic for buying a suit? Going to buy a suit on Saturday and it'll probably have to get tailored as I have a short and muscular physique, so mainly a guide to getting the right fit with the shoulders and chest.

BrooksLauren77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thoughts on LL Bean quality for basic F/W wardrobe (sweaters, sweatshirts, henleys, etc.)?

price is right, seem decently made...

Quality is good for the price as far as I've read. Mainline stuff is cut large so you may want to size down, although they have introduced a line of slim fit shirts.

Signature Line is cut slimmer than traditional and "fitted" fits.

Don't know about American Apparel quality.

BrooksLauren77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all, my first post here ...I was politely hushed out of a suiting store today.

Within minutes, someone came up and explained that off the rack is not for me.

I'm 6'3", shoulders are ~50 and waist is 31 but with big glutes and very big thighs.

What are my bespoke options around the $300-500 and $800-1200 price points?

Made to Measure is your friend. Search around the site for Made to Measure suits.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesTedon