• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Bungle

Reaction score
If I was to wear a grey or charcoal suit with a white or pale blue shirt and with a chocolate brown tie, would black shoes be ok or should I get a pair of brown shoes?

What PS would go well with the suit/shirt/tie combo? I already have a white linen, medium blue gingham, lavender gingham and a pale blue glenplaid.

Thank you in advance!

AmericanGent

Reaction score
If I was to wear a grey or charcoal suit with a white or pale blue shirt and with a chocolate brown tie, would black shoes be ok or should I get a pair of brown shoes?

What PS would go well with the suit/shirt/tie combo? I already have a white linen, medium blue gingham, lavender gingham and a pale blue glenplaid.

Thank you in advance!
Charcoal/grey suits are very versatile. You can go conservative/formal or more relaxed casual- which is why SF members suggest grey as a good first or second suit color.

I would suggest that you focus on keeping the shirt, tie and PS in the same level of formality.

-If you need to dress conservative, go with the white shirt and linen PS with the black shoes.
-If you want a more casual look go with the pale blue shirt and gingham PS and use brown shoes.

Some folks would say that a white shirt is to be avoided because it is too formal, but if formal is what you need then I think it's fine.

Not sure about the tie- too many variables to give any ideas.

Just one man's thoughts- see what the other members suggest and give it a shot.

AmericanGent

Reaction score
Quote:
In modern times, I do not believe that the presence or absence of a cuff determines the formality of a trouser, nor would it render it more or less versatile.

It is a matter of personal taste/preference and your overall height. I think 5' 10" and above is the rule of thumb for adding them because the cuff can make the leg appear shorter, but if you're over 5' 10" it's not an issue. I'm 6' and I have both cuffed and uncuffed.

Bungle

Reaction score
Charcoal/grey suits are very versatile. You can go conservative/formal or more relaxed casual- which is why SF members suggest grey as a good first or second suit color.

I would suggest that you focus on keeping the shirt, tie and PS in the same level of formality.

-If you need to dress conservative, go with the white shirt and linen PS with the black shoes.
-If you want a more casual look go with the pale blue shirt and gingham PS and use brown shoes.

Some folks would say that a white shirt is to be avoided because it is too formal, but if formal is what you need then I think it's fine.

Not sure about the tie- too many variables to give any ideas.

Just one man's thoughts- see what the other members suggest and give it a shot.

The only suit I own now (that's worth wearing) is a pick and pick made of black and white threads, so it looks like a medium grey. I was planning on getting a new suit in the near future, most likely in a plain charcoal but possibly in a herringbone or glenplaid if I'm feeling adventurous at the time. Also, if it's of any importance the suit I have now has side tabs instead of belt loops. The next suit I get will be the same.

I figured grey suit -> white shirt -> chocolate knitted tie, or charcoal suit -> pale blue shirt -> choc knit tie would both be safe bets, but I wasn't sure if black shoes would work with them. I don't have any brown shoes at the moment and was hoping to avoid buying some, although a couple of new pocket squares from thetiebar.com won't hurt the budget!

Thanks for the advice!

p.henrik

Reaction score
Does anyone know a decent alterations/repair shop for knits in London? Have a fair isle sweater with a small moth whole and a cashmere sweater that's too voluminous.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: Cuffs

I think it looks a lot nicer on patterned suits than solids - like a large scale PoW or something. Adds an extra touch.

p.henrik

Reaction score

Quote:
I don't have any trousers with cuffs. Might have to look into it, since I am 6'1". I'll try some soon and see what I think of it.
Cuffs are traditionally considered less formal and I agree they look best on patterned suits (and double breasted) and odd trousers, but I wear them on plain navy worsted as well just because I really like the look. I'm 6'0 but would wear them even if I was shorter, but maybe not have full 2 inch cuffs. Odd flannel trousers look fantastic with a good sized cuff IMO.

MMoon24

Reaction score
How long has the short suit jacket been around? The type where it shows a bit of your butt? In America? In Europe? Thinking of getting one for fun/bar events.

Last edited:

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In modern times, I do not believe that the presence or absence of a cuff determines the formality of a trouser, nor would it render it more or less versatile.

It is a matter of personal taste/preference and your overall height. I think 5' 10" and above is the rule of thumb for adding them because the cuff can make the leg appear shorter, but if you're over 5' 10" it's not an issue. I'm 6' and I have both cuffed and uncuffed.

I would mostly agree, when it comes to suits. No cuffs is more formal, but I cannot envision any setting where it would actually change the appropriateness of that suit for an occasion. I cannot think of a navy blue suit becoming less appropriate for a wedding, because it has cuffs on its trousers, but next to someone in a similar suit without cuffs, you will look slightly less formal.

Formal wear is different (though I realize the original question was about odd trousers) According to what I've read, there has never been a tradition of cuffs on evening formal trousers (Black or White Tie), as previously stated. There have, apparently, always been a handful of gentlemen that prefer cuffs on their morning trousers, and I think that, with a Morning Coat, they do noticeably affect the formality but, in my opinion, doesn't ruin it. It is a bit of lighter, more fun, way to wear trouser.

On a pair of odd grey pants, I agree with the other posters that it comes down to personal preference. I'm 5'7" and, while I do not currently have any pants with cuffs, my height would not stop me. I might have to experiment with width, but I would probably start with a full 2" and see how it looks. I don't see the point in wearing them, if they look wimpy. And, I'm 5'7"; cuffs are not going to be the thing that makes me look short. The fact that I'm short will take care of that by itself.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How long has the short suit jacket been around? The type where it shows a bit of your butt? In America? In Europe? Thinking of getting one for fun/bar events.
0.jpg

Last edited:

AmericanGent

Reaction score
Funny.

I think you can also go with a smaller cuff to lessen the visual effect of shortening the leg- like a 1 5/8" cuff instead of 1 3/4. I know bigger cuffs are "in" but I think the sizes I mentioned are more traditional(?)

In the case of odd gray wool pants I stand by my earlier comments, but in the case of suits I'd agree that cuffs may give a more "country" look to some, but I don't think it is a problem. I don't have cuffs on my blue suits, just on the tweed and heavy winter stuff , which I feel is more old-school....but again it's all about preference, not right v. wrong.

Good topic though!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chief41510