• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am guessing he wants to pick these up because they are half price, and will continue to expand his pants selection fairly soon, in which case, if he likes them, I say seize the opportunity. Solids are more versatile for sure, but he does not HAVE to get them first, if these ones happen to be a great deal right now. Though, there are many things he could get at after Christmas sales for $75, I'm sure. In any case, if he is planning to add solids to his closet in the near future, I see no compelling argument against the plaid pair.

I see $75 worth of arguments against them, but I'm frugal to the point of psychopathy. Are they a bad thing to have in the wardrobe? No. Are they a wise thing to buy if buying them means not having the basics covered in the short term? Again, I say no.

Clothes are only worth owning as useful items, or as luxuries. To my way of thinking, the usefulness of those trousers is highly conditional on what else one wears.

If that's typically merino sweaters and plain shirts, or a navy blazer, then they're great. Without a coat or sweater, I strongly prefer cotton trousers. If one typically wears patterned sports jackets, then they are a luxury -- and not something worth devoting real money to if the basics aren't covered.

Of course, if they speak to him enough that he'll regret not picking them up for a long time, then sure, this is the time. But if he's truly on the fence, he may want to consider climbing down.

Last edited:

Evan Chartier

Reaction score
The Jos Bank Signature Gold suits went on sale for about $250 again.

Given the pictures posted by me earlier, do you think I would be better off as a tall skinny guy in the Traveler Slim fit 38L pictured, or a Signature Gold Tailored fit 36L suit? I know the Joseph Slim 36L pulled quite a bit on me, but I think the SG Tailored fit might not pull as much, and have slightly narrower shoulders?

I appreciate any thoughts. Thank you!
Evan

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see $75 worth of arguments against them, but I'm frugal to the point of psychopathy. Are they a bad thing to have in the wardrobe? No. Are they a wise thing to buy if buying them means not having the basics covered in the short term? Again, I say no.

Clothes are only worth owning as useful items, or as luxuries. To my way of thinking, the usefulness of those trousers is highly conditional on what else one wears.

If that's typically merino sweaters and plain shirts, or a navy blazer, then they're great. Without a coat or sweater, I strongly prefer cotton trousers. If one typically wears patterned sports jackets, then they are a luxury -- and not something worth devoting real money to if the basics aren't covered.

Of course, if they speak to him enough that he'll regret not picking them up for a long time, then sure, this is the time. But if he's truly on the fence, he may want to consider climbing down.

I think that's a fair assessment; we also all failed to ask what pants he already has (surely @850csi , you don't walk around in your underwear?). One more thought; a pattern you like may only exist in that pair of pants, whereas solids are easier to find. Spend half a day shopping, and you should see several options in solid grey and brown pants. Whereas, a pattern you particularly like, especially from a store like BR (and when they are obviously a summer clearance) may be gone. Which speaks to your final point, @YRR92 , of whether or not he will regret not buying this, particular pair. 850csi, I agree with YYR that, if you are unsure of something that costs $75, it really comes down to whether $75 is real money to you. If that's chump change, just buy the pants. If that's substantial to you, spend it on something you're sure about, whether that is these pants or something else.

Last edited:

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Trousers in the office...how "fitted" should they look around the butt?

Well...it occurs to me that in most offices, showing off your ass isn't really necessary and appropriate behavior. But that's just my take on it. Why don't you offer your opinion as to how fitted your pants should be, and why you think that's so?

It's probably worth adding, though, that if you're wearing a suit coat or sport coat, of proper length (which you should be wearing, but I get that in many offices that's just not how it works in practice), your butt will be covered. Thus minimizing the significance of this issue.

Last edited:

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
General question: Trousers in the office...how "fitted" should they look around the butt?
It's personal preference, but certainly not too tight. I used to work with a guy who wore "booty huggers" and people talked about him. You want a nice tailored fit without having "tight" pants. It's possible to show the shape of your gluteus maximus without wearing pants that are tight. Wearing pants with a fairly low rise can help to achieve a better look depending on your body type.

850csi

Reaction score
I think that's a fair assessment; we also all failed to ask what pants he already has (surely @850csi , you don't walk around in your underwear?).

Hah, no - but close to it. I've lost around 35lbs in the past few months. My dress wardrobe was horrendous to begin with (think poly 'dress' pants in relaxed cuts), and now the waist is a good 2-3" big on me as well, so I'm basically wearing trash bags every day to work. No alternative, though - I'm still losing weight (another 15-20lbs and then I'm done), and I can't really afford to buy pants just to wear them in the meantime.

FWIW those pants aren't $75, there's a promo code that brings them down to < $40. I asked mostly because wool pants under $50 are sort of the sweet spot I've been trying to hit.

Last edited:

babyd

Reaction score
So - I'm going to be a groomsmen for my younger brother. The desired style is grey pants, grey vest. The other groomsmen are wearing a black shirt, which does make me cry a little bit, but the bride is ok with not matching shirts :)

So - whats a good shirt-tie combo for the only grey vest look? Thinking light blue myself, should be ok, right?

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So - I'm going to be a groomsmen for my younger brother. The desired style is grey pants, grey vest. The other groomsmen are wearing a black shirt, which does make me cry a little bit, but the bride is ok with not matching shirts :)

So - whats a good shirt-tie combo for the only grey vest look? Thinking light blue myself, should be ok, right?

First, find out what your brother wants. Second, wear it. I would, however, try to get a grey three-piece suit, and wear the pants and vest for the wedding. Then after, you have a suit, instead of a pair of kids that never had a daddy.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For that price, you can't lose. Just get them, and also find a pair of solid grey.

Here's where I'd argue that thrifting would be a good option. Especially for these kinds of pants. I see them every day I go. You can find BR/JCrew Pants like that any day of the week. I bought a few as staples for my work wardrobe there.

Last edited:

jaywhyy

Reaction score
Here's where I'd argue that thrifting would be a good option. Especially for these kinds of pants. I see them every day I go. You can find BR/JCrew Pants like that any day of the week. I bought a few as staples for my work wardrobe there.
Personally, thrifting anything outside of coats and jackets has an ick factor.

masaccio

Reaction score
Curious about suggestions for colors to pair with the following trousers:

They are a little bit darker brown IRL. The windowpane is in purple and orange and is very muted.

For context, my work environment is very casual. Suits, ties and odd jackets are never seen. Previously I was almost always in chinos and an OCBD or similar. Now that I live in an environment that gets quite cold in the winter I've started to add some heavier wool and flannel trousers into the mix. Trying to figure out what types of things would work with these new trousers.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A burgundy professor's sweater would be top drawer. Navy is safe, of course, and nice greens. I would probably stay away from wet shirts, and stick to light blue, light grey, and light green. I don't know how right I am, but those are my initial thoughts.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchaslimprix