• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

sean anon

Reaction score

Shetland wool is from shetland sheep. AFAIK, all "donegal" means is the fiber has flecks in it.

Most wools are going to be a little softer than shetland, but my understanding of the terminology means that a donegal shetland isn't impossible.

Wear a thicker shirt with the shetland. I wouldn't want to wear mine with anything too thin -- though the oxford I have on under it as I type works well.

Thanks. I though Donegal denoted origin

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I though Donegal denoted origin

No problem. It is a place, after all.
smile.gif

n2da2nd

Reaction score
What's the dress code for semi-formal? I'm going to an event at school at night and the dress code is semi-formal. This is what I have in mind.

Last edited:

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's the dress code for semi-formal? I'm going to an event at school at night and the dress code is semi-formal. This is what I have in mind.
"Semi-formal" issued from anybody who isn't up on his Emily Post is meaningless. It could conceivably mean anything from a polo shirt to a tuxedo. Ask a male organizer what he's planning to wear and dress accordingly. Since you're asking in Classic Menswear, you'll probably hear that a tie is mandatory. If it were me and I had no other context I'd wear the nicest suit I own with a white shirt and a textured black necktie. Better overdressed than underdressed.

CLiang

Reaction score
Hi,

I plan to get some cedar shoe tree because I heard it will keep my shoes in good condition. However, I never bought one before so I do not know what size should I get. I am a size 8 to a 8.5 US size. Should I get a medium size cedar shoe tree?

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's the dress code for semi-formal? I'm going to an event at school at night and the dress code is semi-formal.

If it's at school just ask someone. You'll probably be fine with suit no tie, but can't hurt to be overdressed with tie as Random suggested... although I have no idea what a semi-formal tuxedo might be in this context. I can't imagine anyone will be wearing one so don't worry about it.

Last edited:

WickedKlown

Reaction score
Hi,

I plan to get some cedar shoe tree because I heard it will keep my shoes in good condition. However, I never bought one before so I do not know what size should I get. I am a size 8 to a 8.5 US size. Should I get a medium size cedar shoe tree?
Small (8.5d) or medium (8.5E) at Allen Edmonds or Jos A Banks

acinod

Reaction score
Any stores in NYC that stock grey flannel trousers?

I'm after a pair similar to Epaulet's Rudy-fit (room in seat but tapered leg opening) but I can't afford to wait weeks for it to be made. Need to try in-store and buy right away.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"Semi-formal" issued from anybody who isn't up on his Emily Post is meaningless. Since you're asking in Classic Menswear, you'll probably hear that a tie is mandatory. If it were me and I had no other context I'd wear the nicest suit I own with a white shirt and a textured black necktie. Better overdressed than underdressed.

+1. Wear a black suit, white shirt, black tie, white pocket square. If you're so overdressed that you feel uncomfortable, just take off the tie.

LEgoiste

Reaction score

Anyone know where to get this quilted coat (or similar)?

Thanks in advance.

plainnerd

Reaction score
I'm looking for a decent quality brown/orangy cord blazer that comes in smaller sizes (32 or 34). Trying to find it in time for Christmas, anyone have any ideas?

n2da2nd

Reaction score
"Semi-formal" issued from anybody who isn't up on his Emily Post is meaningless. It could conceivably mean anything from a polo shirt to a tuxedo. Ask a male organizer what he's planning to wear and dress accordingly.

Since you're asking in Classic Menswear, you'll probably hear that a tie is mandatory. If it were me and I had no other context I'd wear the nicest suit I own with a white shirt and a textured black necktie. Better overdressed than underdressed.

The Emily Post helps a lot. Thanks for pointing out.
If it's at school just ask someone. You'll probably be fine with suit no tie, but can't hurt to be overdressed with tie as Random suggested... although I have no idea what a semi-formal tuxedo might be in this context. I can't imagine anyone will be wearing one so don't worry about it.
The hostess contacted me back and say that as long as I don't wear jeans, I'll be fine. I also looked at the photos of previous event and noticed that no one donned a whole suit. Mostly they wore sweater over a shirt or just shirt and tie. Guess I'm gonna go with either the posted photo or without the blazer.

JonML

Reaction score
If I bought this suit for my wedding, can I re-use it (is it still appropriate to wear) for other functions? Like a holiday party, or even to a client or professional association (financial planning) meeting?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads