1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Camilo

Camilo Well-Known Member

2. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

I'd lean toward the Hober, because the Drake's tie seems to have too few dots.

If I wanted a tie without too many dots, I'd get a polka dot tie. Not a proper, somewhat more formal, pin dot tie.

'Course, no law says you can't buy them both.

3. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

1 person likes this.
  4. Deo Veritas

Deo Veritas Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Any reason you liked Institchu as compared to say, Indochino, Blank Label, Articles of Style, etc. ?

5. Deo Veritas

There's a fair difference in price. Is there a big enough difference in the quality?

6. Camilo

Camilo Well-Known Member

Indeed there is, but I don't own a tie from either brand so can't comment on quality differences. IIRC I read on one of the threads around here that the quality wasn't particularly different between the two. In any event, I am looking at the style and willing to swallow any price difference.

7. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

I prefer the Drake's one and I think you'll find the quality difference palpable. Drake's ties have real life to them. But the spacing is just more elegant on the Drake's one.

8. BeraQueezy

BeraQueezy Senior member

Which do you guys think is a more desirable grenadine tie? Grossa or Fina?

I personally wear grenadines with full suiting and knit ties with separates (more casually) but a few of my friends tell me Grossa is too similar to knits and that a more complete wardrobe should utilize Fina. Just wanted to hear a few more opinions.

9. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

I prefer fina, but grossa is much more common. I think fina just looks better with suiting, and it drapes better in general.

Fina is a tiny bit more formal and it doesn't look great with a rustic tweed.

10. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Fina

more versatile :nodding:

11. robxznyc

robxznyc Senior member

Hey sorry guys, may I ask a question? The Piombo Houndstooth Wool Tweed Overcoat I'm selling in my signature has a side pocket design I had not seen before and wondered if such detail has a proper name. So the side pockets are both pockets and slits that allow your hands to go through them and reach your blazer's pockets without opening the coat. I think it's a considered detail.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

12. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

How is Saville Row cloth?

13. ebayhtl

ebayhtl Senior member

Guys - appreciate if anyone has recommendations for what stores to visit in Amsterdam - clothing, shoes, lifestyle, skincare etc. Distilleries and bars recommendations also appreciated. Thanks!

14. stylexchangemtl

stylexchangemtl Senior member

Interesting thought, never saw it like that

15. Deo Veritas

Stores:

No Label

New Tailor

Pauw Mannen

Oger

Suitsupply hails from there, so they may have a great selection

1 person likes this.
  16. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

If I am attending a non black tie evening indoor wedding should I wear a traditional grey wedding tie (prince of wales or shepherd's check) or some other sort of tie?

I'm aware of wedding ties but I am not sure if they are better suited for daytime weddings.

17. 12345Michael54321

While wearing a wedding tie certainly isn't required, there's nothing inherently wrong with wearing one, and it's well worth considering.

Your concern about wedding ties being better suited for daytime weddings is unnecessary. You're attending a wedding. It is non-black tie. If you're going to be wearing clothing which goes naturally with a tie, and the level of formality of the wedding is such that a necktie would not be out of place, then wear a tie. And in choosing your tie, feel free to choose a Macclesfield, houndstooth, shepherd's check, Prince of Wales check, etc.

Please do not make this any more complicated than it need be, by coming up with considerations of the time of day or phase of the moon. :)

I wonder if your dragging time of day into this might not stem from the fact that, at least for many people, in the US and Canada, circa 2017, an evening wedding tends to come across as being more formal than a daytime wedding. So it's more likely an evening wedding would be black tie, black tie being the most formal level of attire the vast majority of men will ever wear. And since one shouldn't wear a four-in-hand necktie with a tuxedo (and I don't care what some pop culture icon wore at an awards show), you are therefore under the impression that a wedding tie isn't worn to an evening wedding.

But what controls in the matter at hand is that the wedding to which you've been invited is explicitly not black tie. Not that the wedding takes place in the evening.

Again, don't go inventing complications which do not exist.

18. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Thank you, makes sense. And what about a grenadine?

19. 12345Michael54321

If you want to wear a grenadine, then wear a grenadine. If you want to wear a wedding tie, then wear a wedding tie. If you want to wear a pin dot, then wear a pin dot. Etc.

Are you getting the idea? Necktie selection for a guest at a wedding is typically not some abstruse sartorial minefield. Apply a little taste and common sense, and you'll probably be fine.

3 people like this.
  20. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Senior member

+9^999999

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017