• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

rudals1281

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ I was in the same position as you, college student here though wearing the same color suit and shirts
I picked a burgundy grenadine, black silk knit, and a navy/white pindot as my first three ties

Don't really like any of the ties you posted, navy being the exception maybe..different color dots would be better
Guess, the general consensus out of the 4 is the navy (which I already have) so I guess I saved some $$$ for another tie then. As for different color dots, I believe the dots have to match either your suit color or your shirt color...or maybe there is no such no and we can all do whatever we want if we look good.

keagz08

Reaction score
Hey Gents!

As I've donated all my jeans to charity and only have chinos I need to do a denim haul next week!

I'm looking at going for 3 pairs of jeans - 1 Dark wash and 2 Distressed - All Slim or Skinny

My Question is what do I go for? (Let's assume they all fit equally well)

A. 3 pairs of Levi's @ an average of R699 each

B. 2 pairs of Levi's @ R699 and 1 pair of G-Star @ R1900

C. 2 pairs of Levi's @ R699 each and 1 pair of Diesel @ R2200

D. 2 pairs of Diesel @ R2200 average and 1 pair of G-Star @ R1900

E. 3 pairs of Diesel @ an average of R2200

F. 2 pairs of Diesel @ R2200 and 1 pair of G-Star @ R1900

michaelyork

Reaction score
Would you wear something like this, for casual-chic occasions? Would you even buy something like this?

I like the cut, but is it too childish or baseball-shirt like?

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would you wear something like this, for casual-chic occasions?  Would you even buy something like this?

I like the cut, but is it too childish or baseball-shirt like?

Well, it's casual. I don't really see the "chic" part.

I suppose if I sometimes wore long-sleeve polo shirts or rugby shirts or sweatshirts, this would fall within my comfort zone. I wouldn't call it too childish or baseball shirt-like. I'm thinking it'd probably be worn with jeans, and I admit I'm not big on jeans, but maybe you do like to wear them.

It looks a little too slim-fitting for my taste, but I readily acknowledge that I like slim-fitting clothes less than do probably 99% of the people on SF.

It's not something for which I'd have much use, but if I did have need of such a shirt, and if I saw this one at Target for $13.99, I might buy it. I just wouldn't pay much money for it, because I think it's sort of silly to spend much on certain types of clothing. For example, the $120 designer t-shirt or sweatshirt makes no sense to me, and in my mind the shirt in question falls into a closely related category.

yulicke

Reaction score
Hi all, I was trying out jackets at the Bay today and really liked this one by Black Brown. The man who was working there said the fit was really good in all the parts he checked. How does it look? This is a 38R. I asked him to measure the dimensions because I wanted it compare it to a sport coat on eBay.

blacktaro

Reaction score

Hi all, I was trying out jackets at the Bay today and really liked this one by Black Brown. The man who was working there said the fit was really good in all the parts he checked. How does it look? This is a 38R. I asked him to measure the dimensions because I wanted it compare it to a sport coat on eBay.
The first photo is not clear so I cannot give much comments about the fit. But the sleeves seem a bit long. Are you wearing a short sleeves or long sleeves shirt inside the jacket?

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Creases or not on my navy MTM chinos? I'm going to wear them casually with OCBDs, v-neck and polos. Also, I am 19 years old. Does creases look weird on young fellas like me?

yulicke

Reaction score
The first photo is not clear so I cannot give much comments about the fit.

But the sleeves seem a bit long. Are you wearing a short sleeves or long sleeves shirt inside the jacket?
My sleeves are rolled up here. How does the length of the jacket look?

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My sleeves are rolled up here. How does the length of the jacket look?
Please let me know what you were thinking by taking a picture in the middle of your Parkinson's flareup, then taking one on the side and not rotating it. Are we supposed to save it, then rotate it for you? Are we supposed to shake our heads really fast while looking at the first one?

Sorry to be so rude but I really don't get why you would send those after reading the first page. I know I fall short of meeting the standards for pictures but why would you ever submit that?

yulicke

Reaction score
Please let me know what you were thinking by taking a picture in the middle of your Parkinson's flareup, then taking one on the side and not rotating it. Are we supposed to save it, then rotate it for you? Are we supposed to shake our heads really fast while looking at the first one?

Sorry to be so rude but I really don't get why you would send those after reading the first page. I know I fall short of meeting the standards for pictures but why would you ever submit that?

Why yes, on both accounts mrjester.

j/k haha
Oops on the crappy photos, I asked the older gentleman who was working to take the photo for me, my phone is crap anyways. I actually saved a rotated version on my desktop but looks like I attached the wrong one..

Last edited:

ryanginger

Reaction score
Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Apologies if this has been asked before..

For suits, shoes, other items if it differs: does rotating through your wardrobe, "resting items", and spreading out wears add to the item's life in "number of wears", or does it simply spread out the wears you'll get over a longer duration.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For suits, shoes, other items if it differs: does rotating through your wardrobe, "resting items", and spreading out wears add to the item's life in "number of wears", or does it simply spread out the wears you'll get over a longer duration.

There's a fairly widely held belief that giving the item a day or more of rest in between wears will result in it lasting for more wears. This is particularly believed to be true with regard to shoes, although it's a pretty common belief with regard to suits, as well. There are several reasons offered for thinking this way, but getting into them would more properly be a matter for a thread of its own, and not simply a post in this thread, which lends itself more to relatively quick answers than to drawn out discussion.

However, I'm unaware of any statistically meaningful studies having been performed in an effort to nail down the truth or falsehood of these beliefs. Which is not to say that none have been performed - I could easily imagine a major shoe company, or the US military, or a state prison authority, or a grad student with an unreasonably large research grant - conducting such research. I'm just not aware of any such studies, right off the top of my head.

And, of course, even if these beliefs are, generally, true, it's highly likely that they vary greatly on an individual basis. The climate in which one typically finds himself, one's tendencies with regard to perspiration, the construction of the clothing item, and a host of other factors, could well result in the "day of rest extends the number of wears" idea being virtually insignificant for some people, and being enormously significant for others.

Last edited:

kayhill

Reaction score

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Apologies if this has been asked before..

If you had a several cars you rotate through, would you ask the same question? I ask that because I think you're tricking yourself somewhat. Think of wears as mileage.

Definitely the latter and maybe a little bit of the former. If I wear my suit 100 days in a row, it'll be in bad shape. If I wear it 100 times in a year, it will be in slightly less bad shape, but the main benefit is from the fact I wore a not yet worn out suit over a longer period.

Law of diminishing returns applies. No matter how well you look after a rotated suit, it will hit a use by wear date.

Shoes are a little different because they benefit from a rest. The moisture from your feet can make them wear more quickly. Or so they say.

Last edited:

RCharb

Reaction score
I have a quick question, does anybody know the brand of these shoes? I'm going to purchase a new pair of brown shoes soon and rather like these.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads