1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Just be aware if you ever plan to have the shoe re-crafted, some makers hold the right to refuse shoes which have been worked on by other parties.

2. cakv

cakv Senior member

Yup yup, I'm aware of that. I know AE does that. What would you recommend for Carmina shoes, @Ich_Dien ? I've read extensively on Alden vs BNelson and AE vs BNelson, but I feel like these shoes are a bit different because they have some details that appear more specially made.

Also,
    has anyone ever bought wool ties and have the outer face of the blade begin to fray? I have a wool tie from TheTieBar and the front facing is not as clean as it was when I first bought it. This doesn't happen with Silk and I'm beginning to regret trying wool. Does this happen with expensive wool ties?

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  3. ovlov

ovlov Senior member

Has there been a list compiled anywhere of which makers do this? I have a pair of Cleverleys that are almost due for their first resole. I don't really wont to spend several hundred on a full recraft yet but I want to be able to still have that option for when the upper start to show significant wear. I guess I might have to resort to Topying instead for now.

Yes, they will pretty much all start to fray a bit, though I guess maybe some more that others. I have a few and they had all shown signs of wear but not so much that I couldn't wear them or that they were particularly noticeable. I think its like grenandine ties. Those will always inevitably get a pull here or there. some people consider it 'character'.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  4. cakv

cakv Senior member

That's interesting. Would you say the fraying has made the ties look less formal as a result? By how much?

5. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Wool ties are generally pretty informal to begin with, most are about as informal as you can get while still wearing a tie, so you're already bottomed out on that metric.

6. deadAngle

deadAngle Senior member

Generally, but not always. I have a dark red solid wool tie in a neat weave as well as several wool/silk blends that certainly provide a bit of visual interest without altering the formality. The silk/wool blend ones in particular have the most pleasing hand and lustre to the fabric I've felt in a tie; my only regret is that I do not own more of them.

7. jossman

jossman New Member

Hi,

I have been silently browsing these forums for a number of months, and, for the first time, need to ask a question!

I have recently acquired a nice Hackett Navy Windowpane suit (http://www.hackett.com/catalog/product/view/id/180627/category/15/?color=59). For an important business networking event next week, my planned combo is with a blue and white tie (similar to this one, http://www.hackett.com/catalog/product/view/id/180255/category/59/?color=193), M2M pink shirt, plain burgundy pocket square, and oxblood shoes \ belt.

Is there too much red going on here, and would it be more prudent to tone the outfit down with a white shirt?

Many thanks from London.

8. circumspice

circumspice Senior member

I would skip the pink shirt. I would also reconsider the tie - that spacing on the stripes is somewhat close to the spacing of the window pane. Going with a solid or smaller patterned tie seems safer

9. jossman

jossman New Member

Much obliged, thank you.

10. cakv

cakv Senior member

cptjeff,
    Ah...I thought they were appropriate for CBD. Can you tell me where I can get awesome "neats" (ties) for under $40? I always see nicely, dense-patterned ties on HOF and wonder where I can get them and on the cheap. Also, what is the proper/formal name for "neats"? Macclesfield ties?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  11. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

those remind me of e. marinella ties ^^

12. cakv

cakv Senior member

The first two pics are, yup yup.

Do you or does anyone else know where I can get ties that are patterned like those ones for <$40?

13. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Check Chipp and The Knottery

http://www.chippneckwear.com/ancient-madder/

http://theknottery.com/ties/

Also, I've found that vintage Ferrell Reed and Bert Pulitzer ties are great sources for neats. Brooks Brothers on sale might meet your needs as well.

If I were you, I'd hit a thrift shop or etsy and see what you can find.

14. cakv

cakv Senior member

Thank you, Koala. What should I run in my searches? As mentioned above, I don't know what the proper term is. Do you have a few examples?

15. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

"Neats" "Foulard" "Ancient Madder" ties

Or just search those brands. Maybe add in Liberty of London. Brooks Brothers. and narrow by accessories.

16. cakv

cakv Senior member

Thanks, I did look up the links you provided but noticed none of them look quite as good as the marinella ties. Are there no other makers of those patterns?

17. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

I actually like the Chipp ties quite a lot, though I'm betting the texture of the Marinella ties is better. The answer is not at your price point. Not unless you thrift.

18. cakv

cakv Senior member

Thank you :]

Do the Chipp ties rotate seasonally? The website seems to have a small selection.

Edit: does anyone know who Jeter got his tuxedo from? I wish he'd pull his pants up but it looks great other than that, seriously.

[​IMG]

19. pnewelljr

pnewelljr Senior member

I want to buy a single black bow tie to use for formal occasions. I prefer the diamond shape, I like the look the most, but I am worried it will look out of place in formal situations? Would I be okay wearing this style as a mid 20s guy?