• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess that could work. The idea of paying the cash upfront for multiple suits is not very appealing though. Could I get my measurements done around here and then give them the measurements?
Do you have a credit card? Buy all of the suits early in the billing cycle. Keep the one you want, send the rest back. You should never have to shell out actual cash for the suits you returned.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

New to the tie game since my work is business casual.

Is this tie worth 35 bucks?

http://dappered.com/2013/07/bonobos-extra-30-off-sale-items-the-picks/ (scroll down to venetian tie)

I'm looking to build a semi lean collection, so something say...less than 10 ties.

If not, can somebody steer me in the right direction. At what price point is the sweet spot to pay per tie?
Don't know about the quality of this one, but if you're aiming for less than 10 ties, I would definitely not choose this design. I'd start with a few solid-colored grenadines, one or two knit ties, some classic reps and a few small printed florals.

Gatorman177

Reaction score
Thank you for all of the responses. I do have a credit card so buying a couple sizes from Suitsupply is possible since I will never personally be out the cash. Can I get a decent suit at Dillards? Or should that be a last resort? Also, what is a good place to get my measurements done and to have tailored in my area? Should I find a local place or will a chain store also provide that service even if I do not buy from them?

Thanks again!

Owen Meany

Reaction score
What are the collective thoughts on corduroy trousers? I really do not like chinos (really do not like), I have my share of well maintained jeans, but would like to get some options for dress-down, business (office) casual. I am looking at the BB Clark fit corduroy; any general opinions of comments specific to the BB's?

I am open to any other recommendation, please? (price is not a significant concern)...Thanks, jtb

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't mind cords at all. I own two pairs that I wear in the fall and will wear desert boots with them. It's nice for kicking around on the weekends but I wouldn't wear them to my office even though we're business casual.

It's probably office acceptable but it feels too casual to me.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the Brooks Brothers non-iron button down still an oxford cloth?

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is the Brooks Brothers non-iron button down still an oxford cloth?

Sounds obvious, but depends on whether it is one of their oxfords or not... It will say oxford if it is oxford.

rangen930

Reaction score
Bought my first pair of AEs (Mactavishes) about 3 months ago. Granted I wear them 5 days per week (to work) but I am suprised to see that the rubber part of the heel is already peeling away from the rest of the heel. AE told me to send them (using supplied UPS label) for inspection. The quick question is will I screw up my recrafting options if i take these to a local shop for repair? Should I just gorilla glue them? I hate to do that. I love these shoes but it seems a shame to start rigging things up this soon. What would you do?

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bought my first pair of AEs (Mactavishes) about 3 months ago. Granted I wear them 5 days per week (to work) but I am suprised to see that the rubber part of the heel is already peeling away from the rest of the heel. AE told me to send them (using supplied UPS label) for inspection. The quick question is will I screw up my recrafting options if i take these to a local shop for repair? Should I just gorilla glue them? I hate to do that. I love these shoes but it seems a shame to start rigging things up this soon. What would you do?

You need to stop wearing them five times a week.

Agreed. I used some of this goop to keep the rubber part of a combination heel where it should be after it fell off (of some shell cordovan shoes with JR soles); as long as it doesn't do anything to the welt, AE should be fine with a dab to keep the heel on... but the real problem is wearing the same pair of shoes five days in a row for months at a time.

Two pairs of shoes each worn every other day will last much longer than buying a pair of shoes and buying another pair when the first wears out. Get a rotation going.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics