• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Bartleby Trout

Reaction score
I was thinking about picking up a pair of AE Fifth Aves in brown (I have them in black), but they are so dark in brown that I was wondering if it was worth it.

Would getting the Fifths in brown open up any clothing possibilities, or are they too dark and too formal? Could I wear these with, say, navy dress pants? Probably not chinos, correct?

Thank you.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF5705_1_40000000001_-1

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ get the Walnut ones... I have them both (black & walnut)

tubs

Reaction score
Can this linen suit jacket, or one in navy, be worn as an odd jacket?

powenb

Reaction score

One in Navy certainly can. Especially with its different coloured buttons.
I have one which has brown horn buttons and it goes perfect as an odd jacket.
People will say no as it's part of a suit. But it looks good, so why not.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was hoping for more comments about the brown ones I posted. Thanks for the reply, though.
I have the brown ones, and I think they are worth getting. They are dark, but not so dark that someone would ever mistake them for black. After a few wears and shines, they start to develop a nice patina. They are also considerably more conservative than the walnut ones and look great with a navy suit.

westling

Reaction score

I think so, especially in navy as powneb noted. To me, the criterion is "is it obviously part of a suit?" Double-breasted and pinstripes jackets are obvious no-no's, but given that this one's a solid color and linen, I don't think anyone's going to know, especially if you change the buttons to, say, dark brown.

teller108

Reaction score
I was out thrifting today, and I found these shoes for ten bucks. Can anybody help me by identifying them? As a hint, one of them says "Permasole--the lifetime sole" on the inside of the sole. Would it even be worth it to take it to a shoe repair place to get the loose sole reattached? Thank you so much for your help.

elstevendeo

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been asked before but I've been trying to buy better made clothing recently and I'm wondering why (for example) a $165 button down shirt from Unionmade is worth the extra money vs. say your run of the mill button down that costs 1/3 of the price. I know there is going to be a bit of a cost increase due to it being made in the USA but is the quality really that much better?

Baverso

Reaction score

Forgive me if this has been asked before but I've been trying to buy better made clothing recently and I'm wondering why (for example) a $165 button down shirt from Unionmade is worth the extra money vs. say your run of the mill button down that costs 1/3 of the price. I know there is going to be a bit of a cost increase due to it being made in the USA but is the quality really that much better?

Yes, there certainly is a cost increase because an item is made in the USA. But that is not the only reason most of us are not interested in purchasing shirts from run-of-the-mill factories. And if by 'run-of-the-mill button downs' you mean the kind of shirts which line the shelves of Sears and Macy's, etc. then ---
From an wide, overhead view, most forum members purchase quality shirts (and most other menswear items) using the Substantive Procedures Method of FFC. Fit Test, Fabric Test, & Construction Test. If the tests meet predicted level of quality, they can move on to further analytical procedures.

As for the last part of your question: 'Is the quality really that much better?' This is a value judgement. Materiality of the shirt in question is entirely up to the Forum Member's professional judgement. With enough hits on the search button they hopefully will exercise their judgement with professionalism and due care. :)

Last edited:

Xtra2

Reaction score
Hey Martin,

I definetely agree with what Tobias is saying. I would also add a pink or a lilac tie as these colors complement blue and white shirts very well, especially if worn with a charcoal grey suit. I would also consider looking into Hermes or Ferragamo style repeating animal prints ties as those are usually quite whimsical but bring alot of flair to your outfit. They have some beautiful repeating animal prints with dolphins, fish, crabs etc. Thomas Pink also has a really good animal prints selection. Sometimes these labels also carry repeating sporting goods prints like golfballs, tennis raquets, which are really aesthetic.

Another thing I would watch out for (unless you are quite wide in your shoulders) is to look for ties that are between 3.25 to 3.5 inches in width. Some labels still carry 3.75 inch to 4 inch ties, but with suits today generally being made with narrower lapels, it would look more in sync to wear a slightly narrower tie. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply, Tobias and RCAsia.

I'm a bit skeptical to wearing anything pink really. Pink shirts, if light pink, can work though.

Yes, I've been wondering about what length to go for, but I'll try to keep it in the 3.25 to 3.5 inch-range. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads