1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't personally like pink except for super, super pale pink shirts. I would mirror what gringo says though despite not being a fan of the tie in general. I like the more standard Glen Plaid version of that tie (the one used for weddings and such traditionally).

2. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Good point. That was what kind of drew me to the pink shirt but I can see staying away from it for that reason. I still have that "matchey" habit I'm trying to break.

3. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

In the real world, being "matchy" isn't the sin it is here on StyleForum. I too sometimes give in to the same habit. The pink in that tie makes it not so versatile really.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  4. patrickBOOTH

Well, there is a difference between something being a sin and something not being n good taste. Sure, you won't get kicked out of the office, or not offered a drink, but it looks juvenile.

5. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Yeah, I'm trying to stay away from "I work at a mall kiosk" look.

I didn't realize I was limiting myself so much by picking up that tie with a bit of color in it. I also didn't realize it was considered so formal (weddings/etc.) I'm a pattern whore sometimes.

6. gringodaddy

Sure, in this case of a pink shirt with that tie isn't tasteful. But sometimes I think too much about it (like a paisley square with just a hint of brown in it with a brown and navy tie) and I end up just saying fuck it, if I'm too matchy I'm too matchy. I am very much a neophyte though.

7. patrickBOOTH

You're talking to a guy who only wears white shirts and white linen hankies. Pretty much the only match combo allowed in my book.

8. gringodaddy

I drank the style forum cool aid on the superiority of blue shirts, but recently realized that I actually look good in a white shirt and have started to reintegrate them. I am not so restrained as to just limit myself to white/white square all the time though.

9. 850csi

850csi Senior member

Problems with this blazer:
    -too wide in the waist
    -armhole is too low
    -arms too short
    -needs about an inch more length
    [​IMG]

Correct, or am I off?

10. gringodaddy

To my eye it is more than an inch too short.

11. chatre

chatre Member

I recently bought a pair of shoes (dark brown calf leather, leather soles) that I intend to use solely for nights out. The idea is that this will give my other shoes a chance to last longer, as they will not suffer from being drenched in alcoholic beverages, etc.

Having said that, I would still like for these shoes to look good for as long as possible, and thus, I now need some advice on how to care for these shoes. For my other shoes I use something called "leather balsam" every now and then, and also this stuff whenever the shoes begin to look a bit scuffed. Is there anything else I can do for shoes that will take some heavy beatings? Maybe some kind of repellent?

Many thanks,

12. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Try here:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/the-official-shoe-care-thread-tutorials-photos-etc

Cheers,

Ac

13. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

If going out involves wading through pools of liquor, you've more significant issues to address than how best to maintain your footwear.

2 people like this.
  14. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Any recommendations for mid-range suspenders/braces (under $50)? Used would be OK. I have checked eBay and it's pretty barren.

15. chatre

chatre Member

I did try that thread first, but no luck. That is why i tried cross-posting here.
    Maybe so, but nevertheless, those hypothetical issues do not relate to the topic of this thread ;). Any advice regarding the shoes?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  16. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

Funny Michael- I was thinking the same thing.

Chatre-
    Shoe Polish.
    A well cared for and polished calf shoe should be able to stand up to a significant amount of partying. Just pop the trees back in when you get home, let them dry naturally, brush them out and reapply your polish. Building up a good multi-layer shine will protect your shoes from just about anything short of complete submersion or prolonged exposure.

17. chatre

chatre Member

Ok thanks. Is this the type of product I am looking for? Also, should I use polish on the whole shoe, or just on the toe cap?

18. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

I wasn't suggesting that you post your question there. I meant that that thread will have the answer. You should check it out.

Cheers,

Ac

19. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

Well, Kiwi is the most available brand in the US. It has a higher wax content so if you are looking for a shine then perhaps brown Kiwi will do the trick. Their colors are pretty basic, but even using neutral polish will build layers on the shoe and keep it protected from the elements, including the occasional booze shower.

Yes, polish the whole shoe- if you like a high gloss look you can focus on the toe with a cotton flannel cloth and some spit. The spit (or cold water) will create heat from friction as you buff vigorously and essentially melts the wax a little and fills the pores or the leather. The added benefit of a shine is that the wax will also repel liquid- to a certain extent.

Other shoe polishes like Allen Edmonds' brand and of course Saphir will also do the trick. In the military we use Kiwi because #1 it's all we have, and #2 it gives us the best shot at a high-gloss shine. We also will sometimes use a lighter and lightly and quickly melt the polish a little- then cold water and buff. There are lots of videos on how to bull up your shoes on You Tube if that is your desire. But for healthy shoes that will make it through your party years Kiwi will be fine.

Cedar shoe trees, a horsehair brush and some polish. That should be all you need.

20. Amontilado

Amontilado Active Member

Could anyone give advice?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013