1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. loarbmhs

loarbmhs Senior member

A four in hand knot. And it's "complements," not "compliments." Although if you tie the correct knot you should receive "compliments" for how dashing you look.

2 people like this.
  2. mimo

mimo Senior member

True. Let me put it another way: no, it's hideous.

:)

1 person likes this.
  3. jimanchower

jimanchower Senior member

Wow, I wonder how many times I've misused that word in print over the years. A sincere "thanks!"

4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I have this zegna tie I thrifted and I'm gifting it to a friend as a joke. There's no faking way I'd ever wear it out of the house. Or even in the house for that matter.

But zegna!

[​IMG]

5. loarbmhs

loarbmhs Senior member

My pleasure. And thanks for being such a good sport about it!

6. plainnerd

plainnerd Well-Known Member

Any reason not to use orphaned suit pants? I got a nasty tear in my favorite jacket and its basically gone. Pants are great comfy charcoal trousers, any good reason not to keep them?

7. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Yes they would.

8. wannabe

wannabe Senior member

Hi guys,

It's been a while since I posted here, and I was hoping to get some feedback on some jacket fit pics. Normally, I'm a 16 inch shoulder, but I got some jackets that are pushing the 17 and 18 inch mark, and I was hoping to get some opinions on them.

To me, the DB's shoulders are obviously too big, but I feel like the two tweed jackets fit well (although I may be mis-attributing this fit to the construction of the suits). What do you guys think?

DB:
    [​IMG]

Gray Tweed (1):
    [​IMG]

Green Tweed (2):
    [​IMG]

Apologies for the washed-out pictures; these were taken early in the morning.

9. ridethecliche

It might be me, but the silhouette of the last two jackets looks a bit funny to me because there's just SO MUCH waist suppression relative to the shoulders. It makes it look like something is off because there's so much empty space inside where your lats should be.

The DB actually looks the best to me. Shockingly.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  10. wannabe

wannabe Senior member

Yeah, I think you definitely said what I was trying to put into words. Would a shoulder reduction make the silhouette appear more normal on all three jackets?

11. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

No reason not to wear them.

12. emiristol

emiristol Senior member

Anyone have experience with Brunello Cucinelli outerwear sizing? Looking to snag a peacoat for cheap in size 36, but I'm a pretty meager 36, so I don't want to spend money on something that'll be way too big.

13. deadAngle

deadAngle Senior member

1 person likes this.
  14. jesiegel

jesiegel New Member

Gentlemen, I had a quick three-part question regarding tuxedos and figured here is the place to ask it. I recently bought a tux from Indochino (not my first Indochino product, and if anyone was wondering, I've had great success with their product) and thankfully combined with a small touch from my tailor it fits great.

However, I had a few questions about the tux itself:

1) The collar of the jacket is satin as well. I was under the impression that only the lapel is supposed to be satin, thus differentiating the lapel from the collar. I was wondering if any of you knows whether it doesn't matter or whether it is customary to have only the lapel be satin.

2) The peak lapels that I ordered seem to be rounded. Based on what I had seen on other jackets, I ordered peak lapels under the impression that they generally have a rather pointy edge to them. I was wondering if this is just another style of peak lapel or it was made improperly. My tailor seems to think that rounding out the tip of the lapel may be necessary due to the construction of the lapel with satin. If any of you know, I’m quite curious.

3) There is no buttonhole on the lapel of the jacket. I’m under the impression that it doesn’t really matter, but I can also imagine many traditionalists feeling like not having the buttonhole means the jacket is sorely lacking.

I was curious to see your guys input on these three questions, thanks for the consideration. Happy first post to me.

15. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

1. The collar should be self faced, not satin.
    2. Just looked, and my dinner jacket has somewhat rounded peaks as well. Really depends on how rounded off they are, ancient whether they look silly.
    3. Doesn't matter, though if you want to wear a boutonniere, have your tailor add a functioning button hole with loop on the back of the lapel.

16. ridethecliche

I recently won an ebay lot of 4 pairs of pants that turned out to be pleated. I actually got my money back (so many stains!), but two of the trousers I think are worth having cleaned and altered.

I don't own any pairs of well fitting pleated trousers, these are a pair of burberrys and RL which look amazing and I'd like them to be the two pairs of pleated pants I keep. They're a little big in the waist so I'm thinking of having them slimmed, but I'm wondering where on my waist should I wear these, i.e. natural or lower, and how they should break.

Any pictures of pleats done correctly would be awesome!

Also, another quickie:

I thrifted a few smaller scarves today thinking that I could use them as pocket squares. How big is too big? I'm trying to figure out where the boundary is for a PS making a pocket poof a bit.

Thanks!
    RTC.

17. styleforumfan

styleforumfan Senior member

Is there any style rule against the lower edge of a sunglasses frame touching your cheeks or it depends? Thanks!

18. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

19. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

hey guys, picked up a pair of shoes over the weekend that is just a bit too big - maybe less than 1/2 size. is there anything out there that can make these fit a bit snugger OTHER than thicker socks?

20. rutabaga

rutabaga Senior member

You could get a heel liner of some kind.