• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

amathew

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently got a pair of straight leg chinos, wore them once, then hemmed them w/ no break without washing. Oops! Now I'm worried that when I go to wash them, they will shrink and be insanely short. How can I keep this from happening? If I hand was and then hang dry, will that limit shrinking?

It seems that I can still have a tailor take our the hem and lengthen the pants by ~0.5 inches.

I don't have pics of the fit, but it's not as "short" as the pants in the thread (navy/second pic). The difference is that my pants are straight fit, so it look odd with the no break.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/311914/fit-check-for-lack-of-break-on-chinos

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wouldn't wash the chinos that often tbh. Only wash them when they get really dirty like once per year, other than that a steam and press is all they should need. If you can let out the hem a bit cross that bridge when you get there.

amathew

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't wash the chinos that often tbh. Only wash them when they get really dirty like once per year, other than that a steam and press is all they should need. If you can let out the hem a bit cross that bridge when you get there.

Hmmm, this might be another noob mistake I make. I generally wash chinos and trousers after 2 to 3 wears. Perhaps I should wash them less frequently. Once a year sounds odd though, as the pants would get really dirty from just sweating, etc. It's kinda sick even thinking about it, though I can understand doing that for wool trousers or even a suit.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hmmm, this might be another noob mistake I make. I generally wash chinos and trousers after 2 to 3 wears. Perhaps I should wash them less frequently.  Once a year sounds odd though, as the pants would get really dirty from just sweating, etc. It's kinda sick even thinking about it, though I can understand doing that for wool trousers or even a suit.

It is hard to say really. I mean, I don't wear chinos myself so I don't run into the problem, but I think in general people wash clothes too often, when just a good steam would do. I only wash my underclothes and shirts after one wear.

In the future wehn you get something new, wash it, throw it in the dryer on full blast then get it altered.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmmm, this might be another noob mistake I make. I generally wash chinos and trousers after 2 to 3 wears. Perhaps I should wash them less frequently.  Once a year sounds odd though, as the pants would get really dirty from just sweating, etc. It's kinda sick even thinking about it, though I can understand doing that for wool trousers or even a suit.

It's not a noob mistake, it's what sane people do. Cotton does not have the various properties wool does that makes it appropriate to not wash wool- wool, for example, has properties that allow it to resist microbial growth, which means it won't start to stink, and wool deals with moisture differently- wool wicks water, cotton absorbs it. Cotton gets smelly over time and needs to be washed, where it takes a whole lot more effort to get wool to the point where it needs cleaning.

Basically, you should wash cotton regularly and wash wool rarely. As for shrinking, I wouldn't worry too much, most makers are using fabrics that won't shrink or will only shrink a tiny bit these days. I haven't ever had a pair of chinos shrink notably, anyway.

SimplyBMW

Reaction score
Would you for a navy blazer get a one button or two button blazer? It's going to be my first blazer but I'm undecided there. It'll have two vents and peaked lapels but I'm unsure about the buttons. It'll probably be mostly casual wear. Also to take into account is that I'm only 5"5' so that may affect the decision.

Last edited:

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would you for a navy blazer get a one button or two button blazer? It's going to be my first blazer but I'm undecided there. It'll have two vents and peaked lapels but I'm unsure about the buttons. It'll probably be mostly casual wear.

2-button is classic and timeless.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would you for a navy blazer get a one button or two button blazer? It's going to be my first blazer but I'm undecided there. It'll have two vents and peaked lapels but I'm unsure about the buttons. It'll probably be mostly casual wear.

If it's going to be your only navy blazer I would go with two buttons and notched lapels.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you get your classifieds to show up in your signature?

iTylerStewart

Reaction score
Any suggestions on what to wear the white Hermes tie with?

080f0c9100eafaef171f981589a65aa8_zps46e606ab.jpg

Last edited:

Dragne

Reaction score
I'm sure this is a fairly common question but what labels provide quality shirts for reasonable prices? (around lets say $65 per shirt)

I'm looking for slim or extra slim fitting shirts.

Thoughts on 5th & Lamar? B&B?

I'm from canada so ideally from a brand is able to ship up here.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm sure this is a fairly common question but what labels provide quality shirts for reasonable prices?  (around lets say $65 per shirt)

I'm looking for slim or extra slim fitting shirts. 

Thoughts on 5th & Lamar? B&B?

I'm from canada so ideally from a brand is able to ship up here.

Brooks Brothers. Few locations in Canada too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads