1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  2. OTM

OTM Senior member

Go with a white shirt. Let the tie get the attention.

3. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Don't worry about the faint shadow left over from the removed button. No one will see it, and you'll forget about it too.

Your sleeves should be the proper length for each arm. Human beings are not perfectly symmetrical, so our clothes shouldn't be either.

4. E TF

E TF Senior member

What's your budget? Ede & Ravenscroft in Cambridge do MTM, starts at £900... Or there's always the train to london.

5. danielqtaylor

danielqtaylor New Member

Quote:So there is absolutely no risk, then, in having all eight (4 x 2) buttons removed and the sleeves shortened unequally (without replacing the buttons: are they really needed anyway??). The tailor is not going to appreciate my changing my mind, so I really need to be sure this is the right thing to do! I guess I need some encouragement. That visit to the tailor was very stressful, and I don't look forward to a Part II. :) Thanks again, Dan

6. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

He's not replacing all eight. Only the bottom one on each sleeve. It'll be fine. How the jacket fits you in the shoulders and waist and overall length of jacket and sleeves is far far more important than sleev button issues.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  7. hennree

hennree Senior member

Below that to be honest. Is it possible to get something for £500? I had been looking at Thick as Thieves in LA which I could get for around £450 shipped to the UK. I feel its a little risky though if theres something majorly wrong with the fit and I'm stuck in another country.

8. icekachang

icekachang Member

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this in, but I'm concerned that my suit jacket may have been cut too tight, as there is a large X forming around the center button. Is there a quick fix to this?
    [​IMG]

9. mimo

mimo Senior member

Yes, it's too tight around the middle. Seems good across the shoulders, though. The question is how much cloth is available at the seams to let it out a couple of inches (if it's tight standing like that, when you move it must be awful). Take it to your local tailor and ask. You might also want to take your trousers up just a touch. They are cut very narrow too - seems to be the fashion - in which case an excess length shows more. Best to try just a little, half an inch, and see how you get on.

1 person likes this.
  10. kayhill

kayhill Senior member

No worries. I personally like chinos and jeans that taper all the way down (and I like the hems to end just short of a break) and I think those two things go hand in hand.

In terms of price, it depends on whether the tailor takes in from one seam or both seams. If you only need to take in a little bit, chances are he'll only need to take in from one seam. Should only cost around 20 dollars or so. If you're taking in a fair bit and you want to take in from both sides (to keep a bit of balance) it will cost double - $40. Those are Australian prices; I don't doubt in Europe and the US you could find tailors who can do it for cheaper.

14 inches all around means around 7 inches across. That's already fairly slim so you may not need to take in too much. If you're concerned about puddling around the ankles, also consider whether length is an issue. Might need to take them up a centimetre or two to get the desired look.

11. E TF

E TF Senior member

No need to do that. Go to someone like Cad & the Dandy or Suit Supply in London. They both offer MTM suits around the £500 mark, and they'll measure you personally. All it'll take is half a day of your time and a return train ticket. Less risky than online MTM. There are no doubt other options in London too which will have been discussed here before - use the search feature.

1 person likes this.
  12. Mr Nubbins

Mr Nubbins New Member

Hello all,

I have recently moved to San Francisco, and I was hoping to get some recommendations on a good tailor and a good cobbler in the city. I did a search for tailors and found some threads, but some of the sources were a bit old. Perhaps I am not looking in the right places/ searching ineffectively?

I have read that Andreas Gorges Tailoring http://www.yelp.com/biz/andreas-gorges-tailoring-san-francisco was recommended, anything else?

13. etostano

etostano Senior member

Seeking help interpreting the "composition" section of the tag of a sport coat I just picked up - google has been surprisingly unhelpful with abbreviations. To me it reads "35%COT.35%LANA 25%ANG 5%CASH60". Are those (in order): cotton, wool, angora, cashmere? What is the significance of "60" at the end?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

14. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Quick question; I recently obtained a 3-button Brioni suit and took it in to be tailored. I am not a fan of higher button stances and want to know if it is at all possible, or even advisable to ask the tailor to steam the lapel in such a way as to render it closer to a 3-roll- 2? Is there any difference in how two different jackets would be cut, one being a true 3, the other a 3-roll-2, or does the difference just stem from how the lapels are rolled? Can I / Should I make this change?

15. lukejackson

lukejackson Senior member

Sorry I can't help --and not to derail your question--but what's the fabric like? I'm looking at a 35% Cotton 40% Cashmere, 25% Silk Jacket. The thing is, it looks like a summer jacket (colour and pattern). I would have thought that such a high cashmere count would make it a hot jacket (though I thought small amounts make it cool?).

Anyone with knowledge of cotton, cashmere, silk blends?

16. E TF

E TF Senior member

I have seen this question asked here before and the consensus seems to be that it is not a good idea/impossible.

17. Noxitres

Noxitres Member

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this in, but could help me with these desert boots? What clothes would fit with it? What colour of jeans would be nice?

[​IMG]

18. mimo

mimo Senior member

I suspect it's an internal quality/batch number. But there is a thread somewhere about labels; have a look - I'm sure an expert there can help.

Don't do it. The lapel of your jacket is attached the collar, which is supposed to be the right shape for your neck. Pressing the lapels wider - effectively what you would be doing, will push the collar out too and look odd. The only way to do this, I would imagine at least, would be for a tailor to remove the collar, press the lapels as you wish, and re-attach the collar with some adjustments. I suspect this might be a bigger job than you would wish. I'd leave it alone, get used to some new three button styles, and get a 2-roll-3 later!

Tell us more about these boots. Honestly, I don't like them very much.

But they're not my boots. In principle, a blue suede chukka boot is nice. But as with any blue shoes, it's bold. I have some blue suede loafers that I wear with beige chinos or tan jeans, which seems to work well. Generally, anything in the beige/brown spectrum will work well with these. As they're boots, I think they might also fly quite well with something more casual like cargo pants - again, in the classic stone/beige colour is probably best for the perfect contrast. Enjoy.

19. JHT652

JHT652 Senior member

Thank you, tried it with a white shirt, much better :)

1 person likes this.
  20. Donald Kimball

Donald Kimball New Member

Any suggestions on a good tie to go with a navy blue suit and light blue shirt?