• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbc
Quick query about armholes.

Just went for my first suit fitting. Hated the armholes because the moment I raised my arms, the whole thing moved. Tailor said that it's natural and that it doesn't matter because one only shakes hands. Then he asked me if I was a tapdancer.

Still insisted on higher and tighter armholes. Hope it goes better on the second fitting.

What do you guys think? Am I right to insist on this and is my tailor bollocking me?

Not sure about his comments, but if you are having a suit tailored, you should be comfortable with it. In other words, you better make sure that you get the product you are looking for. Some on this forum believe that - particularly if you like the tailor's previous work - you should try to go with his suggestions, but I prefer a tailor that tries to tailor to your wishes (even if that means that you may end up with a product you'll regret in the end).

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
Rather than creating a new thread (too many fit threads these days) I'm posting here.

Is it too big? It fits on the shoulders well. I'm mainly worried about the length. I'm 6'2" and this is a 40L Samuelsohn. It obviously need the back cleaned up and a good amount of waist suppression.

Getting the back fixed and waist suppression should pretty much get you there. But I agree with you that it could perhaps be 1.5 inch shorter, but that's probably in the category of personal preference.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by click here
I am poor and I am after my first suit for a job interview. I came across this suit and it looks decent for the price. Should I get?

http://www.asos.com/Asos-Tailoring/A...rt=-1&clr=Grey

No. Jacket is too short and tight, unless you think that's what they'll expect at your interview. If your interview is anything corporate like, stay away from this suite and try the other options suggested.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EZETHATSME
It's a bit of a personal preference, but the general rule is about 1/2 inch of shirt cuff showing. I like a bit more myself, but too much gets you in to Liberace territory.

EZ

+1

Enforcicon

Reaction score
I keep seeing pictures on this forum of neckties with a safety pin stuck on them. What is the purpose/function of this? And where are you pinning it? If it's to hold the tie in place, why not just use a tie clip?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by miurasv
I quite like this but not sure if it's an orphan. I won't buy it if it is. What do you think? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Originally Posted by musicguy
Orphan.
Odd jackets in that color are not uncommon. Considering the color and the fact that it's DB, it could easily be an odd jacket. Given the ambiguity, even if it were an orphan, it could pretty easily pass for an odd jacket.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Odd jackets in that color are not uncommon. Considering the color and the fact that it's DB, it could easily be an odd jacket. Given the ambiguity, even if it were an orphan, it could pretty easily pass for an odd jacket.

Good point. I guess the buttons could make it look like more of an odd jacket than an orphaned jacket too.

soundsgood

Reaction score
looking for a grey button down to wear with nice jeans to work. Hard to find grey button downs -- ideas?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Enforcicon
I keep seeing pictures on this forum of neckties with a safety pin stuck on them. What is the purpose/function of this? And where are you pinning it? If it's to hold the tie in place, why not just use a tie clip?

you "keep" seeing? where? I've only seen PhatGuido do that and it's something he's just started in the past week or two at most. I think it's a random little personal eccentric thing he's playing with Mostley anyone else who does anything with their ties just uses a tie bar and even that's a rare sighting.

politico

Reaction score
What is the trick to always getting a proper dimple!

I have some ties which dimple perfectly with half windsor knots(what I wear to work), and others, where I can't get a proper dimple unless it's a FIH. Is it something I need to look for in buying a tie?

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lendial
I have a wrist size of 6.5 in. What is the largest watch I could/should wear? would 44mm case diameter be too much?

Yes.

Originally Posted by Johnny5
Ok my leather wallets have been destroying my formal work pants... Now that will be great for my denim but bad news for my pants as I want them to look elegant not rugged. Anyone can recommend any soft leather wallets that don't destroy the back pocket of my pants? Thanks!

Use a money clip. It goes in your interior jacket breast pocket.

Originally Posted by click here
I am poor and I am after my first suit for a job interview. I came across this suit and it looks decent for the price. Should I get?

http://www.asos.com/Asos-Tailoring/A...rt=-1&clr=Grey

No.

Originally Posted by onehotstackofpancake
Has any one every heard of the brand "Boat House Row?"

No.

Originally Posted by anuar
If I want to install a zip fly into a left internal pocket of a suit jacket, will it not ruin the jacket fit?

Not will it.

Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Here's one - So I have some silk knit ties I wear sort of more casually with OCBD's. Is it part of the "look" to tuck them into the pants, like a retro old man thing or am I breaking some sort of rule? I did this once, thinking it was periodically accurate but people kept telling me as if I'd made some huge sartorial faux pas... honestly what's the deal?

I wouldn't, others would. Don't if you're not comfortable doing so.

Originally Posted by Getzione
When is it correct to wear a button down collar?
Non-formal?

Yes.

Originally Posted by JesterM
I may be wrong, but it seems there's a consensus that square toed shoes are to be avoided. I've owned a pair before joining the forum and routinely get complements on them. What exactly is it about them that's so bad?

I don't like them.

Originally Posted by mco543
Anyone here know of a store/tailor/whatever called Doncaster Sakowitz?

No.

Originally Posted by Enforcicon

Why not?

Originally Posted by myNameIsChris
Your preference, please.

First or last.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by myNameIsChris
Your preference, please.

First is probably the best and most interesting, but not "conservative". Most daring and best combo. Plain navy suit would work best.
Second is mismatched and boring
Third is the right idea but pattern's too small so everything just blends together
fourth is the right idea on contrasting scales of pattern. I think the shade of gold is a little too light (ie dark shirt light tie), but more of a saturated gold color with that same pattern style and size would be good IMO.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics