• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Neckties Going To Go The Way Of Bowties?

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding tie bars ... back when architects actually drew with pencils, tie bars came in handy. Although one famous architect I knew threw his tie over his shoulder.
An interesting ergonomic point. Fountain pens were more common in tie bars’ heyday. They helped keep the tie away from wet ink (as with graphite on an architect’s drafting table).

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
The problem with wearing the tie bar low like Connery in this photo is that most modern ties are too thick at that point, so the tie bar doesn’t clasp to the shirt (or stay fastened).

you could pull it off if you went skinny tie, but that opens a whole new bag of issues…

anither problem: when wearing a tie all day, the rear/small blade can get twisted around and come out of place/flaps out into view. The tie bar keeps it from fliping around and showing. (Yes there is a sprezzatura style of letting that rear blade flow long and care free, but not everyone wants to be a hipster with that look).
so if the tie bar is too low, for most people wearing normal length ties, the bar might not fasten the rear blade and it could still come flapping out.

245469AB-6956-4AD4-A15D-770F6FB29A66.jpeg

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That might be your preference, but that isn't how they are supposed to be worn historically or now. They normal positioning until more recently has been so that they are just visible when the jacket is closed, maybe a cm or two above the closure. Of course, the GQ / iGent thing saw them move higher, but that's no reason to banish them. Good tie pins / bars are supposed to be seen, at least just a little.

For more info: https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/tie-clip-bar-primer/

tie bar gives dimension to the typical crappy 6-fold interlined tie. it's an aesthetic proposition, look again at connery on his bicycle. the bar creates ease where there should be tension

anyways i've had the sterling tiffany bar for a long time it works great

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing to do with ties, tie bars, or David Hockney but no matter what I wear when arriving in Seattle I always end up in plaid with a rain jacket. Will up my game for dinner tonight, though.
8A770C3D-C89C-4B98-A112-8753B5694B91.jpeg

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the other day that it's nearly impossible to dress well in public, in terms of gaining consensus. Meaning, a large percentage of people will say you're well dressed for the situation. For me, this is evidenced by the insane number of arguments that happen on this forum and elsewhere over matters of dress. You can take the most boring look possible, and 50%+ people will say it looks awful. You can take the more interesting looks and 50%+ people will say it's terrible.

This is not a comment on whether people should dress a certain way for a presentation or something. Just a comment on how I'm not surprised that some suit offended someone, as people have many different ideas about clothes.
But there is definitely a distribution. Some looks will be pleasant to 80% of the people in the context, others 10%. And if your aim is to blend in, you can aim for the 80%.

In my brief stint working for a fashion company the CM casual guys who wore boring but tailored clothing (including casual items) got the highest %, including from the cutting edge new-outfit-every-day girls in Buying/Private Label (which was a bit surprising). I got one of those to make me a shirt list from one of the Jermyn Street shops and the choices were ultra-conservative, although that could just reflect adapting to the "customer". Rick Owens types were more striking but more likely to polarise the crowd. It's harder to pull off when you are in terra incognita.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nothing to do with ties, tie bars, or David Hockney but no matter what I wear when arriving in Seattle I always end up in plaid with a rain jacket. Will up my game for dinner tonight, though.
Until this week, we'd had about 80 days without rain ... or significant rain (I mean it is the Seattle area). ;)

If you are feeling adventuresome, try Cook | Weaver for a meal.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Until this week, we'd had about 80 days without rain ... or significant rain (I mean it is the Seattle area). ;)

If you are feeling adventuresome, try Cook | Weaver for a meal.

Tried to get into Smith Tower but they had a waiting list so I hit 84 Yesler on a whim and it was very nice. I had been up Smith Tower a few years ago and the sunset views were spectacular.

F88A8F69-F603-468C-811E-85C253719983.jpeg

twodice1

Reaction score
I don't mind them if they're worn a bit lower, around where a coat would fasten. If you wear it like this, then the tie bar is hidden when your coat is closed.

View attachment 1650027

But most people wear them higher, closer to their breast pocket. In this case, I'm not sure what the tie bar is even supposed to do. When the tie bar is up this high, it doesn't stop your tie from falling into your soup or whatever. It just feels like an affectation and bit "dapper."

View attachment 1650028

I admit, my judgment of them is mostly affected by how I associate them with a certain kind of dresser -- bad suit, small collar, tan oxfords, cheap pocket square, etc. The look just ends up ... not great. So then I have this association stuck in my mind.

But if the tie bar is lower, and it protects your tie from falling into things when your coat isn't fastened, then I think it's fine and functional. Not that everything has to be functional ....

FWIW, one of my tailors wears a tie bar. He also wears it quite high (breast pocket level) and I think he's well dressed. I again think that 90% of a tailored outfit is about the cut of the suit, so even if you do some "faux pas" or whatever, you will still look good because you're wearing a good suit.

Curious around the pocket square reference, any 101s or firm guidance as I begin to build out a collection?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads