• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Neckties Going To Go The Way Of Bowties?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not sure any of those make the case for, except maybe the first. The problem is that the suits themselves are still basically the same kind as we've always expected to be worn with ties. They haven't changed enough to be something distinctively casual so as to look like they should be worn primarily without. There is still a bit too much of the Pitti, "ooh, look at me being a little bit naughty and subversive and wearing a suit with a polo." You can get away with that a nod-and-a-wink kind of dressing if you have Peter's rugged Italian good looks. But this still isn't it (yet).

Really? You think of casual suits such as Donegal and linen as primarily being worn with ties? I think they can be worn with ties, but they seem very casual to me. In the outfits above -- worn with a brown linen shirt and a black denim shirt -- those seem very natural to me.

Polo shirt + suit doesn't seem Pitti to me. If anything, someone can accuse it of being too "normie" because so many "normal guys" wear this combo.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ensembles in the pics look fine in general. Casual suits can look good without a tie I just choose not to do it for the most part. I have done the winter suit and polo sweater thing.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, it's way too hot here now to even think about a suit worn casually.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? You think of casual suits such as Donegal and linen as primarily being worn with ties?

You're being a little over-focused on detail here. I'm talking about the basic form of the suit as clothing more than the specifics of fabric and texture. These are 'casual suits' but they are also still recognisably the same form of suit that has been around since the turn of the C20th. There are plenty of designers who do more radical things with the suit. And what I'm saying is that the long-term transition away from suits-as-work-attire will mean even more changes to suits as they become more casual by design - if they are to survive at all.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You're being a little over-focused on detail here. I'm talking about the basic form of the suit as clothing more than the specifics of fabric and texture. These are 'casual suits' but they are also still recognisably the same form of suit that has been around since the turn of the C20th. There are plenty of designers who do more radical things with the suit. And what I'm saying is that the long-term transition away from suits-as-work-attire will mean even more changes to suits as they become more casual by design - if they are to survive at all.

I think there's a long tradition of men wearing casual suits without ties. I don't think it looks strange at all, but agree that most people aren't that familiar with this stuff and will just see anything vaguely like this as a "suit."

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love their 70's Pop but not the tieless look with a suit. :bounce2: (collars are serious, weapons grade stuff!)

View attachment 1641846
Haha love it!
Next time someone posts pictures of wide lapels and the usual SF suspects collectively toss themselves off to said pics I’ll be remembering this picture.
I was there in the seventies. It was absolutely **** for clothes.
And hair.
And tashes.
(Some of the music was decent.)?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha love it!
Next time someone posts pictures of wide lapels and the usual SF suspects collectively toss themselves off to said pics I’ll be remembering this picture.
I was there in the seventies. It was absolutely **** for clothes.
And hair.
And tashes.
(Some of the music was decent.)?
I'm a sucker for 70s rock and pop. It's comfort food for me. Christine McVie is singing "Over My Head" in the background as I type this.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to reading the Atlantic article. This line was funny. "The 1960s fashion designer Mary Quant neatly summed up the tie’s psychological import as “something between a comfort blanket and a public penis.”

vida

Reaction score
Really? You think of casual suits such as Donegal and linen as primarily being worn with ties? I think they can be worn with ties, but they seem very casual to me. In the outfits above -- worn with a brown linen shirt and a black denim shirt -- those seem very natural to me.

Polo shirt + suit doesn't seem Pitti to me. If anything, someone can accuse it of being too "normie" because so many "normal guys" wear this combo.
Most guys don’t own Donegal suits. Some wear linen if they are into suits, but most of the time we are talking about basic worsteds. I agree with you in that the pictures you posted of suits without ties ore nice looking, but those suits have a bit of a casual flair to them to begin with. And these examples are of guys that are clearly into style and know what they’re doing. For the average Joe, that seems like kind of a train wreck waiting to happen.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He usually looks reliably OK but I’ve seen him at awards shows in black tie with ridiculously long strides puddling round his ankles. This is such a fundamental error that I’m left to wonder if he really is naturally stylish beyond being a handsome fella, or if, as suggested above, he’s often dressed by some ‘stylist’.
I realise that for the oscars etc celebs are often given or loaned suits by the brand to advertise their gear but surely anyone with an ounce of personal nous would insist that the strides and sleeves at the very least be hemmed to the correct length before being exposed to millions of viewers the world over. Wouldn’t the makers want their wares displayed as optimally as possible too?

Not all stars have the personal good taste of a Cary Grant, Gary Cooper or
Marcello Mastroianni. I really like Clooney and think that he is excellent at
his craft, but more often than not at public events he looks like he was "issued"
a suit from Wardrobe. Personal note: I was in Venice for his wedding in 2014.
Unfortunately, I was unable to crash it. Did get to see many gorgeous guests,
however. As for the younger crop of entertainers, I have no idea if there are
any that can claim to be the heirs of Grant, etc.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not all stars have the personal good taste of a Cary Grant, Gary Cooper or
Marcello Mastroianni. I really like Clooney and think that he is excellent at
his craft, but more often than not at public events he looks like he was "issued"
a suit from Wardrobe. Personal note: I was in Venice for his wedding in 2014.
Unfortunately, I was unable to crash it. Did get to see many gorgeous guests,
however. As for the younger crop of entertainers, I have no idea if there are
any that can claim to be the heirs of Grant, etc.

The only one I know currently who has his own cultivated sense of style is Neil Patrick Harris.

Not exactly on the “AAA” list like Clooney, et.al. But he usually looks good and unlike some of the others, owns his look.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The only one I know currently who has his own cultivated sense of style is Neil Patrick Harris.

Not exactly on the “AAA” list like Clooney, et.al. But he usually looks good and unlike some of the others, owns his look.

I think Eddie Redmayne has some style.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think there's a long tradition of men wearing casual suits without ties. I don't think it looks strange at all, but agree that most people aren't that familiar with this stuff and will just see anything vaguely like this as a "suit."

Sure, but you're still (deliberately) missing what I am saying! Think about what the Japanese call a 'set-up' - basically any top and bottom that 'match', that are designed purely from that basis. Starting from that point, you have an infinite variety of possibilies, with all kinds of inspirations and models, not just the jacket with V-lapels and collar, not just particular cuts of pressed trousers. My point is that as men's work clothing moves further away from suits-as-they-were, it opens up space not just for suits to be worn more casually (which isn't news, as you say), but more significantly, for suits to become something different, or many different things. Potentially, this is akin to the transformation in men's style of the late C18th.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads