• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apple tv

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My co-worker swears by his Apple TV and claims it is the best unknown product out there. I thought he was just an Apple fanboy, but now I am considering getting one.

Last edited:

Pinhas

Reaction score
I think I am convinced; I will get the ATV2, JB it and see what happens.

At this point I have a living room set up I never use; but my comp is in another room. Will there any issues of me streaming from comp to ATV without wires, ie WiFi streaming, or do I need a computer right next to ATV?

Jrufraz

Reaction score
No need for wires...depending on what you go route regarding add-ons (i.e free vs ATV2 Flash black) the process might be a bit easier with ATV2 Flash Black to set up.

The only issue, and this pretty much goes for all streaming, are HD quality movies...you may experience some buffering issues which is why I recommend a wired connection to the ATV2. You can certainly try it without and if it works then it works but if you find it it buffering constantly, try a wired connection. Oh and the add-ons go a lot faster with a wired connection.

Pinhas

Reaction score
What are some free alternatives to Flash Black? which would you recommend?

I wont be buying or renting anything from iTunes so streaming from my comp will be my go to option, together with Netflix and Hulu.

Also, do you have any exp with AirPlay? does it work well? If I am watching or playing on my iPad, will it seamlessly run on the TV?

Last edited:

Jrufraz

Reaction score
The alternative to flash black is basically ssh into the apple tv and install the add-ons yourself. Process goes like this

Free method
1. Jailbreak with Seas0nPass
2. Install nitoTV through ssh (google it)
3. Once nitoTV is installed, install XBMC from NitoTV menu
4. Find add-ons (a simple google search for ATV2 XBMC add-ons will give you tons of results but some of my personal favs are Navi-X, Icefilms, Free Cable, Canada on Demand, SportsDevil, Veetle, Crackle, etc)
5. Install add-ons through FTP client such as Cyberduck or Filezilla (I use Filezilla but they are pretty similar). Again, interwebz is your friend and the process is not hard at all.
6. Enjoy your content

Pay Method
1. Jailbreak with Seas0nPass
2. Buy and install ATV Flash Black
3. Once installed, you can simple go to Maintenance=>Manage and install nitoTV and XBMC (this eliminates the need to ssh). You also have other add-ons that specifically come with ATV2 such as Couch Surfer Pro which is similar to Navi-X.
4. Find add-ons (a simple google search for ATV2 XBMC add-ons will give you tons of results but some of my personal favs are Navi-X, Icefilms, Free Cable, Canada on Demand, SportsDevil, Veetle, Crackle, etc)
5. Install add-ons through FTP client such as Cyberduck or Filezilla (I use Filezilla but they are pretty similar). Again, interwebz is your friend and the process is not hard at all.
6. Enjoy your content

No experience on the airplay so can't help you out there.

Pinhas

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips man! :fonz:

I will update with my progress; step 1: buy the damn thing..

atr35

Reaction score
I have atv2 and use it everyday. I like the new mirroring feature. What is on you iphone/ipad can be mirror onto your hdtv using the appletv. Install xbmc.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some rumors that supply of the Apple TV is starting to dry up. This is usually a sign that a new model is coming out. If I was in the market for an Apple TV I would hold off for now.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
thanks for the heads up. was going to wait until at least may so i can devote time into understanding all the little nuances of jailbreaking etc. so might as well just wait until the new ones out.

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking to get either this or a Roku2 XS, which is the better of the two?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

thanks for the heads up. was going to wait until at least may so i can devote time into understanding all the little nuances of jailbreaking etc. so might as well just wait until the new ones out.

Well keep in mind that I am speaking rumors. Could be completely wrong. :)

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I am looking to get either this or a Roku2 XS, which is the better of the two?

You can get far more content on a Roku, but the Apple TV has a better interface and is the only way you can watch content bought on iTunes. Also the Roku can be had for cheaper and Apple's device has Airplay. Really depends on your priorities.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been covered, but I bought the Apple TV just for its airplay, which is great. I grab any of my mac devices and just hit play, then select the tv and it will play. Iphone, ipad, mac, etc.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have atv2 and use it everyday. I like the new mirroring feature. What is on you iphone/ipad can be mirror onto your hdtv using the appletv. Install xbmc.

I thought the mirroring was cool, but then I thought, why would you do it other than to show something to other people? The "flaw" with touchscreen is that you have to look and touch whatever. Since there's no "mouse," you have to look down from your tv to your ipad to click what you want.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads