1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Appeal of Panerai?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dopey, Oct 17, 2008.

1. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

FTFY

Thanks. My fingers were on the wrong keys.

2. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

I don't think the allure of Panerai has anything to do with the history of the brand, since a fascist military watch probably has limited appeal.

See IWC Big Pilot Ref. 5002.

3. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

The big watch thing is OK by me... I recently looked at a Hamilton Khaki Automatic Officer's watch and really loved the way it looked... until I put it on my wrist.

I think the thing I really dislike about Pans are their seemingly ubiquitous crown guards, which seem rather ridiculous to me. I have seen quite a few examples in this thread to make me reconsider my thinking based on their lack of this feature, but I have seen few in stores without this ostentatious affectation.

4. DrZRM

DrZRM Well-Known Member

I remember seeing one around 1991 at Tournou and thinking it was different and interesting and huge, but I came to think they are just too big and inelegant (though had I bough the first one a saw at $2,700 on a bracelet it would have been a great investment). The Black Seal is certainly my favorite, but if I wanted a big watch I'd go IWC pilot, Omega PO, or Zenith Grande Primero. I will admit that it really was Panerai that started the large watch trend almost single-handedly.

5. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

Panerai are perplexing watches. Under glass, they are unique and seem to be ideal for casual wear. However, their portentous size seems to complement a Bid Dudeeee rather than the average Joe (Plumber).

6. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

Stuffs styleforum overrates. IMHO.

whaddayamean overrate? from the post i've read lately i have the impression most members, or at least most of the more opinionated members w/ regards to watches, aren't panerai fans at all.

7. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

OK. After reading this thread I think I get it. I am not missing anything. It is just a watch some people like. I happen not to be one of them, though I think I would like the design just fine in a smaller scale.

8. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

OK. After reading this thread I think I get it. I am not missing anything. It is just a watch some people like. I happen not to be one of them, though I think I would like the design just fine in a smaller scale.

Is 40mm small enough? They make some Radiomirs in that size.

9. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

dopey, are you, by any chance, a Zen master?

10. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Is 40mm small enough? They make some Radiomirs in that size.
    if that is the max case size dimension, then I think it is pushing it, but ok. I prefer around 34-36mm. But I wear bigger in chronographs.

dopey, are you, by any chance, a Zen master?

I am a actually a bundle of raging neuroses, but I type calmly.

11. afire

afire New Member

New to the forum, late to this thread. Just to provide a little history, I'll add the following. The original Panerais were sourced entirely from Rolex. The early ones were actually signed Roex on the case, movement and more or less the crown -everywhere but the dial. What they really are is a modified version of the 47mm Rolex Oyster (waterproof) pocket watch. Rolex itself advertised the same watch as the model 2533, but it appears that none actually exist, or at least have never been found. But for whatever reason (presumably visibility as suggested above), this was ideal for Panerai's needs and that's what they ordered. The only possible contribution from Panerai was the dial. The Rolex version had a pretty conventional dial, including a seconds register at 9:00. The Panerai versions had very plain dials (excluding the occasional obviously Rolex-supplied California dial), which had neither a seconds register nor even minute hash marks. As noted above, that's a perplexing feature for a military watch. I suppose that most military watches only had the hands and hour markers illuminated, but it still seems that printing a minute track couldn't have hurt. Anyway, while it's not clear whether or not Rolex actually produced the dials, it is apparent that Panerai had a Hand in the design.

So, that's what I know about Panerai. Like them or not, it's safe to say that there was no thought given to market appeal or fashion trends when the giant 47mm Panerai Radiomir was developed.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  12. dbln79

dbln79 Well-Known Member

My brother is a huge Panerai fan and at first I didn't get it. I have always been pretty basic with my watches, owning an Omega SMP and a JLC Dualtime for dressier occasions. At some point this year, I was looking for a rugged looking watch. I was in the Cayman Islands and walked into one of the plentiful watch boutiques. I tried a Panerai on..and I was glued to it. I went with a 112 because as they say, "base is ace!"

I'm not going to argue with people about the marketing machine that is Panerai. You're probably right. But I love them and the watch truly spoke to me. I wear it every weekend.

13. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Funny that this thread got bumped as just this weekend I was speaking with some SF Panerai fans and I mentioned the trouble I had "getting" Panerai. I still don't get it. I don't have anything against the watch though. It's like looking at a copy of a book that everyone says is great but that is written in a language I don't understand.
    So is this the famous photo?

14. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

You should stop thinking about this IMO, there is nothing really to "get". Either you like the design or you don't. If we all liked the same designs, we'd all be driving the same car, living in apartments that look the same and, yes, wearing the same watch.

1 person likes this.
  15. tomee

tomee Well-Known Member

All because of Stallone having bought it during the making of Daylight is how Panerai got its rise.
    I can bet it would not have been as popular if this didnt happen

16. teddieriley

teddieriley Well-Known Member

It's not like that at all.

17. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

tacky. on the other hand my architecture friend loves them for their simplicity. go figure.

18. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

i didn't see your post before. I really respect your sense of style and a few things i got aware dealing with you. so take my tacky comment not too serious. much appreciated.

19. elisiX

elisiX Well-Known Member

You either get Panerai or your don't. And for those that do, it tends to be more about the community than anything else.

20. Frank the sheep

Frank the sheep Well-Known Member

Not in the community but i really like the watches. I got my eyes on Panerai ten years ago but didn´t have the funds to buy one, saved up for one and got a PAM177 six years ago. The reason i got interested in the brand is because (i like the design of course) i have a background in SF/military diving. Felt like the right watch for me and don´t care what others think :)