• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

WTF are you talking about? Every gentleman should own a trench coat for rainy, chilly fall weather like today in Philly.

Yup. Have fun wearing your completely soaked overcoat in a thunderstorm. If you dress professionally, you're gonna need a classic raincoat as well as a classic overcoat. They have different functions, and neither is particularly well suited to the role of the other.

You mean like, actually buckle the belt at the front? - and not just leave it dangling at the back?

I vary. Sometimes I button mine and leave the belt hanging, sometimes I half button and tie the belt in front (a la Humphry Bogart), sometimes I don't button at all and just cinch it with the belt, in which case I use the buckle. It all depends on the temperature and my mood.

The fun part of a trench coat is that you have options.

williamson

Reaction score

If you dress professionally, you're gonna need a classic raincoat as well as a classic overcoat. They have different functions, and neither is particularly well suited to the role of the other.

Indeed they do, and one of the functions of a raincoat/trenchcoat is as a topcoat for cool but not cold weather (Quadcammer's "55 degree weather" and some degrees below that.)
Every gentleman should own a trench coat for rainy, chilly fall weather like today in Philly.

Underlines my point above.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I looked quickly at Burberry's "bespoke" service and it appears to be nothing of the sort, and quite pricey.

Shame. Not so sure about leather epaulets and wrist cuffs either.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea - the Burberry 'bespoke' barely rises to the level of stock special.

I saw a legitimate bespoke trenchcoat at Corvato's a few years back. It was cotton drill that had been Scotchguarded. I asked him how waterproof it actually was and he just shrugged his shoulders.

Last edited:

ellsbebc

Reaction score
What are some quality brands for trenches? My mind immediately goes to Burberry because of their classics. Want to keep the price <$300 used.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hard to find Burberry (even used) < $300. I got my trench on sale at Macy's many years ago and it has served me well in business trips to London, Amsterdam and Beijing. Although others may disagree, I like black travel trenches -- beige is a classier color, but it does not travel as well and shows dirt too easy.

What are some quality brands for trenches?  My mind immediately goes to Burberry because of their classics.  Want to keep the price <$300 used.

laureti

Reaction score
That's wonderful to wear tailored or adjusted to body line coat. You will look very nice and feel comforable.
That's not dificult to adjust, just it needes to have professional ironing equipment. To produce new coat is quite dificult. It needs to have long years of experience in design and engineering, lots of different professional equipment. But the result is perfect.

So, if You have mind to adjust coat to waistline, You can try to make it on waistchest dats, that's not difficult. Good luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads