• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else feel for janitors and others with similar jobs?

axe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4ppah
What really makes me feel for janitors, etc most is when people are deliberately lazy because they know there is someone who will clean up after them. For instance, in my dorm last year the trash room was on the first floor, and rather than walking down three flights of stairs to throw their trash out, kids would just dump their **** on the floor of the community bathroom.

That pisses me off to no end...
censored.gif

My girlfriend is in charge of student housing at our local university. Last year, there were two separate incidents of students ******** on the floor. One did it in front of somebody else's door, the other did it in the elevator. This is in a university, these kids are 18-19 or older.

I weep for the next generation.

Macallan9

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
KBW, the opinions your express here are so presumpuous, douchy, and factually wrong I don't really know where to begin. Is this a serious post, do people really think like this? Please tell this is some elaborate troll...

First, do you realize the Janitor profession is among the highest-paying blue collar jobs available? The job generally requires knowledge of HVAC, plumbing, electrial, carpentry and an assortment of handyman skills. In K-12 schools the janitor will make more than almost all the teachers. At colleges the janitors with these skills earn pay rivaling the professors. In a large office building the janitor will earn more than most employees below the executive level.

Also, the person you seem to be talking about is the cleaning lady? She is also earning more than the cost of your breakfast.

You also mention "zero prestige" and "poor job." Prestige of a job is something 95% of Americans do not care about, we just don't think in these terms. Why would you use belitting terms to describe a person doing a very valuable job? Do you maybe come from an Asian country? The only place I usually hear such boorish comments on this topic is from Asians/Indians, no offense.

Maybe the most laughable part of your post is your assumption that these people should want to trade places with you in a heartbeat. 40-hour workweeks in a decent-paying, non-stressful job that did not require an expensive education. Is that such a terrible existance? Also, if Im reading your post correctly, you're copping this attitude from the prestigious and highly-compensated position of "teaching assistant?" Get real.

If this is a troll I admit in advance my own douchiness for writing such an earnest reply, but giving some stuff Ive ready on this board, it's probably not.

Also, you seem to write at about a 9th-grade level?

I applaud you for your articulate flaming. Well done.

This is a whole new world to me though. The janitors at my old college and at my current workplace get minimum wage. There are plumbers and electricians that are responsible for the "advanced" things, and make a good bit more. Don't you have this sort of division of responsibility at your school? I wouldn't think it would make sense to have someone with electrician skills to be mopping the floors.

I'm not sure where you're from, but a sizable portion of my friends think in terms of prestige for a job. This group consists of a couple asians and plenty of white people. There are plenty of well-paying blue collar jobs, but once a person has a college degree I think you'd be hard pressed to get them to be a janitor, garbageman, etc. Perhaps this is just ivy league snobbery and doesn't apply to other people in country, but it's what I've seen so far.

KBW

Reaction score
Originally Posted by warlok1965
Billy Blanks' gym was just down the street from me... closed a few months ago due to bad economy.

I think I get what the OP was getting at and yes I've had the same thoughts. Lots of smart and hardworking people don't get the same opportunities I have had, or were never taught the right survival skills, and end up living lives of quiet desparation. I worked my share of crappy jobs when I was young and it makes me appreciate what I have now. Sure, there are people doing low-end jobs and are perfectly content, but most folks want to improve their situation no matter where they are on the totem pole.

This is what I was meaning ^^^^

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 Pennglock

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
KBW, the opinions your express here are so presumpuous, douchy, and factually wrong I don't really know where to begin. Is this a serious post, do people really think like this? Please tell this is some elaborate troll...

First, do you realize the Janitor profession is among the highest-paying blue collar jobs available? The job generally requires knowledge of HVAC, plumbing, electrial, carpentry and an assortment of handyman skills. In K-12 schools the janitor will make more than almost all the teachers. At colleges the janitors with these skills earn pay rivaling the professors. In a large office building the janitor will earn more than most employees below the executive level.

Also, the person you seem to be talking about is the cleaning lady? She is also earning more than the cost of your breakfast.

You also mention "zero prestige" and "poor job." Prestige of a job is something 95% of Americans do not care about, we just don't think in these terms. Why would you use belitting terms to describe a person doing a very valuable job? Do you maybe come from an Asian country? The only place I usually hear such boorish comments on this topic is from Asians/Indians, no offense.

Maybe the most laughable part of your post is your assumption that these people should want to trade places with you in a heartbeat. 40-hour workweeks in a decent-paying, non-stressful job that did not require an expensive education. Is that such a terrible existance? Also, if Im reading your post correctly, you're copping this attitude from the prestigious and highly-compensated position of "teaching assistant?" Get real.

If this is a troll I admit in advance my own douchiness for writing such an earnest reply, but giving some stuff Ive ready on this board, it's probably not.

Great post. Anyone who works for a living gets my respect.

KBW

Reaction score

You have no idea what I do. I type as quickly as I can on here and could care less what level I write as I'm in accounting/finance. I teach one class only because I was asked to do so by a professor who I have a great respect for AND when I retire I would like to teach a few days a week. I enjoy teaching this class and also enjoy keeping busy while my fiancee and friends are at such a distance. They make minimum wage and aren't in charge of HVAC systems, plumbing, or anything other than cleaning out trashcans, mopping floors, etc. I was not looking down on them only asking why they would stay in a minimum wage job. You sound as if you are describing maintenance positions. You speak in absolutes yet obviously knew nothing of what you were talking about.

I am NOT trashing the job or the average janitor. I'm talking about the few janitors (and those in similar positions) that you find that are very bright and capable of doing so much more yet are making minimum wage and struggling to feed their families. Trust me when you are living paycheck to paycheck struggling to pay bills and put food on the table it is extremely stressful.

We had a guy named Bud at boarding school who was the type of maintenance guy that you described and yes he had a very good job. Sure he does all the jobs the janitor does but he also does much more. That is what you described...NOT what I was talking about whatsoever.

Also much more than 5% of Americans care about job prestige...again you are COMPLETELY full of **** with your absolute statements

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Life deals you cards and you play with the hand you are dealt. Some play it differently or, in some cases, better than others. Sometimes that play allows a lot of outside help from others, which some don't have access to.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

you try so hard to be pc its pathetic. then you go and make assumptions of asian/indian yourself. youre an idiot. and prestige of jobs is something 95% of americans dont care about? where did you get this lovely fact? out of your ass im sure. if americans didnt care about prestige and what people think about them you wouldnt have this massive debt and credit problem. nothing the OP said is really that wrong. hes just wondering out loud. you dont have to get all above thou hippy pc bullshit.

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Our house cleaner is here right now. She is incredibly hard working and very personable. She used to be a paramedic in Poland, but because her English is lacking she can't get a paramedic gig here yet.

My wife is a social worker and one of her clients used to be a Doctor in Cuba. For whatever reason she can't get a license to practice here in the states. So she is working well under what her education level.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the janitors at the university I went to was once a banker or professional in Africa. But, again, his skills didn't transfer to the US.

Sometimes I feel for them, maybe. But it could be worse, he could still be in Africa.

Janitor in America > dead in Rwanda, I suppose.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
I met a guy that I immediately envied. He was an engineer by profession for a number of years. Then someone introduced him to rock climbing. Well, no company in the US likes to give sufficient vacation time for any serious climber, and European companies are slightly better, but still not ideal. So he said **** off to his life of engineering.

He's good at languages, so he picks up jobs doing janitorial work, manual labor, cooking, dishwashing, etc wherever he travels (worldwide) and works those for enough money to eat and stash a small bit, then he quits, goes climbing for a month while he slowly burns the stash of cash on food. Then it is back to working those jobs to do it all over again.

He sleeps in a tent and sleeping bag every night. Since he has no rent to pay or bills like cell phone or whatnot, the little bit of money that he earns goes pretty far.

He is essentially homeless and nomadic by choice. But damn was he happy and he had been doing this for several years when I met him. Smart guy, able to do much more intellectual work that he doesn't enjoy, but chooses to be happy instead.

I've heard similar stories about climbing bums in Yosemite and such.

this is sweet. i once wanted to do this kind of thing but with billiards.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
You have no idea what I do. I type as quickly as I can on here and could care less what level I write as I'm in accounting/finance. I teach one class only because I was asked to do so by a professor who I have a great respect for AND when I retire I would like to teach a few days a week. I enjoy teaching this class and also enjoy keeping busy while my fiancee and friends are at such a distance.

I was on this Internet forum, and I saw this guy who claimed to be well-educated and intelligent. His writing, however, really implied otherwise. He seemed to have little command over things like punctuation and spelling.

I see these types of people quite often, and, in general, a good portion of them are intelligent people. I wonder why people settle for poor writing quality and style. I know sometimes it's easier just to type as quickly as possible, but often you'll find a decently intelligent person who is too lazy to take the time to proofread and take pride in their writing and grammar.

You sure did become defensive when someone made assumptions about the menial nature of your job and the low quality of your writing. Why are you entitled to make the same assumptions about janitors et al.? You know nothing about these people, just as Pennglock knows nothing about you. Why are your assumptions and judgments any more legitimate than his?

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my professors told us about how one of her students 15-20 years ago was a garbage man (a la Roc) in the morning and went to school full time. He made enough money to put himself through law school, and is now a respected judge in NorCal.

Kempt

Reaction score
My first job out of college with double degrees (Biochem/Neuroscience) was as a delivery driver because I didn't feel like doing research anymore and had no desire to pursue a BS. Some people enjoy their "menial" jobs and get over the prestige **** right quick. A lot of people that are "struggling" but you find overqualified or think they could do better lack either the drive/motivation or self-confidence to obtain more.

I knew a kid in high school who's dad had a Ph.D. in physics from MIT and drove a cab for much of his life. The guy wasn't anymore socially awkward than most doctorates I've met and could have done a number of other jobs, but he chose that. His son by the way who was every bit as smart as his dad (he was in my calculus class in high school as a sophomore when I was a senior) enlisted in the military and was a mechanic of some sort before I lost track of him. I have no idea what he does now, but he was leagues ahead of any accountant/financial analyst I've met.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics