• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody know about or have experience weaving a torn suit?

mobobs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a beautiful brand new suit that got torn :( Normally I'd send it in to get woven, but this one is sharkskin and I was wondering if it is even possible to weave such a complex fabric. I gave it to a local weaver and he said he can't do it. Before spending more money to ship it out and get re-evaluated I figured it'd be worth a shot asking here if anybody know about these things.
Thanks in advance!

LeviMay

Reaction score
I once caught the sleeve of a jacket on something and tore it in an "L" shape. The tear wasn't on a seam. I took it to a re-weaver, and the results were fair. One could see the work if looking for it, and I eventually became too self-conscious to wear it, but realistically, no one would see it unless they were very close and inspecting the sleeve.

If it's in a spot that won't be under constant scrutiny, I'd say go for it.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've had a jacket with a pretty complicated pattern rewoven (herringbone, plus a two colour windowpane) for a small tear. It's not truly invisible, but you'd have to look pretty closely to notice it.

If you have a genuinely good reweaver, and you're OK with the price, might as well give it a go. You can only gain, after all - either the suit becomes wearable again, or you have peace of mind that you tried your best to have it become so.

Last edited:

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did once about 15 years ago when I caught the pocket of an Armani tuxedo on a doorknob and it tore straight down about an inch. I can't remember the woman's name (and she was quite old then) but I just asked at Barney's (NYC) and they recommended her. I took the jacket and pants in and she took a little piece of fabric from the hem of the pants and used it to weave. I think it was about 60 bucks and took a couple of weeks but she did a really amazing job! I can only find it if I'm really looking for it, no one else would have any idea it had torn.
Fred

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads