• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are the rules with mailing alcohol from the US to Canada?

Lagavulin 16 is $130 locally, but $55 in the US

Oban 14 is $120 locally as well..

Anyone want to proxy for me? :)

Eric Michael

Reaction score
Interested to see an answer to this...
If there is some way of getting round the Canadian prices, that would be fantastic

Yardsale

Reaction score

most recent haul

StephenB

Reaction score
I just grabbed a Highland Park 15 before I try the 18. I liked it, similar to the Oban 14 and not sure if its worth the premium over it but its been a couple months since I had the Oban so its not fresh in my head.

Next week I'm grabbing a Highland Park 18 and will report back.

This bring up an odd topic though, I hate the bottle shape of the Highland Parks. Maybe because I'm a traditionalist or just a nut but I like the shape of the "traditional" scotch bottle, so much so that I wish they would change it! Just like the way I dislike it when Pinots arn't bottled in in Burgundy style wine bottles.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
put the HP into a decanter?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I just grabbed a Highland Park 15 before I try the 18. I liked it, similar to the Oban 14 and not sure if its worth the premium over it but its been a couple months since I had the Oban so its not fresh in my head.

Next week I'm grabbing a Highland Park 18 and will report back.

This bring up an odd topic though, I hate the bottle shape of the Highland Parks. Maybe because I'm a traditionalist or just a nut but I like the shape of the "traditional" scotch bottle, so much so that I wish they would change it! Just like the way I dislike it when Pinots arn't bottled in in Burgundy style wine bottles.

Oban is pretty light on the peat, even compared to HP. I wouldn't even call it a "peated" scotch, although I know there's some in there.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice to hear from another fan of Old Pulteney - doesn't get a lot of attention 'round here. 

Sticking to relatively mainstream (and therefore accessible) single malts, I'd suggest the Oban 14 or 18, the Glenlivet Nadurra Triumph (better than the plain old Nadurra, IMO), something from Springbank (12 yr old cask strength?), or the Bruichladdich 'The Laddie' 10. If you want to try something with peat along with the maritime character of Old Pulteney, the Talisker 10 might be a good choice, too. It is more sherried than the others, but the sweetness is more than balanced by black pepper and peat.

Thank you for the suggestions. I have been meaning to try some scotches with a bit of peat, so Talisker 10 sounds like a good call.

Longmorn

Reaction score
My pleasure, JS - I hope you enjoy it.

Tonight's sampling, courtesy of Bourbon and Jack Rose in DC (this is not my typical Tuesday night):

Best of the night (against some stiff competition) were the Four Roses 120th Anniversary, the G&M Rosebank 1991, and the First Editions Bunnahabain 24. All spectacular whiskies that I hope to hunt down and own.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That's kind of you. I see there's some 125th anniversary at a shop out in Cali that ships, but not sure how similar it is to the 120th.

MY 125TH IS ARRIVING TODAY! Buy it. Its supposed to be better than the 2012 Small Batch which Jim Rutledge called the best bourbon he's ever tasted. There were only 4000 of the 2012 Small Batch and about 12,000 of these, but they are going like hot cakes. I got mine signed by him from a friend at bourbon fest. The Small Batch is still a higher proof like the Single Barrel LEs but just not Single Barrel. NY generally gets 4R very late, we just got the 2013 LE a few weeks ago, and its been out in other places since the spring.

jfoonly

Reaction score
The recent mentions of Bruichladdich are coincidentally timed with my local discounting their last bottle of Port Charlotte PC10 cask strength for $150. I like the idea of heavily peated, and cask strength. Thoughts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads