1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Yeah it's definitely atypical. I'm just saying he could have done worse, but no recommendations implied.

Bourbon thread. OK, I'll have to find that one. The Whisk(e)y thread died. Thanks.

2. jet

jet Senior member

last week overdid it

hibiki forget which
    ardbeg forgot
    bowmore signatory bottling

passed up tasting the ardbog last night, these guys drink too much whisky

3. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Had on Saturday: the Glenvilet 21, Balvenie Carribean Cask, and Muirhead's Silver Seal 21 Year, and was only impressed with theBalvenie.

4. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Wife picked me up a hibiki 21, excited to give that a try,

3 people like this.
  5. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

I have a mind to go back and grab something else. I picked up a Cardhu on the SAs advice but haven't opened it. Been on a bourbon and rum kick. Zaya rum and some Eagle Rare

6. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

7. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

just picked up a bottle of Aberlour A'Bunadh (so excited! thanks SkinnyGoomba) and a bottle of Springbank 10 (b1os, SkinnyGoomba?).

Calgary airport had the Springbanks 10, 15, and 18. They were $72, $102, and $144. All 750ml's, Canadian dollars, taxes included, and they had 10% off for my flight attendant girlfriend. I did some reading and chose the 10 as an intro for $64. I know one of you guys recommended to do older Springbank years but from what I've read, the 18 at double the cost may not be worth it, plus I'm a bit of a Scotch newb and have heard it's quite a challenging scotch as it is.

Oh, they also had a Glenfiddich 50 for $17,000 but I just wasn't in the mood for it

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  8. Eric Michael

Eric Michael Senior member

Let me know what you think of the A'Bunadh... tempted to buy it at the LCBO but I think it may be a bit niche for me right now.

9. SkinnyGoomba

Nice! If you like Balvenie or highland park you'll likely enjoy the A'Bunadh. It's a little more intense on the nose.

10. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I really like A'bunadh. The cask strength gives it a big leg up, can play around with the water to get just the right profile for your taste.

I like Aberlour 16 in the summer, but I keep going back to A'bunadh for sherried Speyside. I love cask strength juice in general though.

11. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Cross posting this in the What are you drinking thread:

Been drinking a lot of Rusty Nails recently. Went through a bottle of Dewers 12 (which is not bad). Does anyone have a favorite scotch to go with Drambuie? Thinking about going with a Johnny Walker Black (or Double Black?) for the next go around.

12. MakingChanges

MakingChanges Well-Known Member

I typically use Glenfiddich 12 in my rusty nails, inexpensive and pairs well. Are you barrel aging them?

13. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Not aging them. I never plan ahead enough for Rusty Nails, just feel a hankering for them in the winter sometime and then go crazy until I get burned out for another year.

14. brp2

brp2 Senior member

I use Johnnie Walker Black in my rusty nails; seems to work well.

15. Eric Michael

SG- I'm a huge fan of HP12 so I will definitely get a bottle of A'Bunadh.
    Best part is, HP12 is one of the least expensive scotch offered by the LCBO

16. SkinnyGoomba

Awesome! Hp12 is a gem, I actually prefer it to the 18.

1 person likes this.
  17. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Agreed, oh yes for me too :nodding:

18. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

For me HP 12 for is a blunter beast, which i really like. It hits the honey & peat notes that i love easily, and is truly enjoyable. I really like the HP 18 as well though, but it's a more subtle experience, you have to take your time with it. It drowns easily, but it's a beautiful as well IMO...

19. SkinnyGoomba

18 does not disappoint, I just like that the 12 has more fire in the belly, similar to Balvenie 12, it has some guts. For older stuff I give preference to Oban which ages very well. I could easily mistake Oban 18 for a 21 or 25 in a blind taste, it becomes interesting straight away.

20. Eric Michael

I've never had HP18 but I love the 12's complete balance, for me, of honey sweetness, peat, spice and slight salty/seaweed quality.

Haven't had older Obans either but I've been itching to try Talisker Distiller's Edition. Love the 10 but would love to see what the extra cask does to the flavour and nose.