• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

F%^&* Sorry for the bad intel - they listed the ER on their site.

THe only other place that comes up at less than $400 is in Wilmington, DE: http://www.krestonwines.com/sku110107.html 

No shipping at all though.

No worries...I'll be on the prowl all of next week, wish me luck!

Found another PVW 23 yesterday...overpaid a bit, but still not secondary market price...I'll be looking to trade that one and my ORVW 10 for a 20, 15 and rye...*fingers crossed*

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has a new run of Pappy been released? I saw two 23s today, for $400.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wtf. Haven't seen any pappy anywhere. How do you buy it without having been on a list 3 years ago?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Has a new run of Pappy been released? I saw two 23s today, for $400.

Locally?
Can you pm me?

Wtf. Haven't seen any pappy anywhere. How do you buy it without having been on a list 3 years ago?

Lots of stores do not have lists, just show up when it does...NJ had their's shipped this week, NY to follow this next week I believe if it hasn't hit already. Sometimes it just helps to be lucky.

Longmorn

Reaction score
Tried the Four Roses 125th last night at Jack Rose. Even better than the 120th anniversary. Outstanding stuff.

Also tried the Port Charlotte PC8. Good Scotch, but not my thing. Likewise the Talisker Storm - too much iodine.

A couple of rarer ones as well:

The Linkwood had a strange 'wheated bourbon' character that I'm told is the distillery's signature. The Clynelish was much better than the Distiller's Edition I own, though still displaying the slightly candied lemon peel I associate with it. Interesting, but not something I'd buy.

Finished the night with another taste of that G&M Rosebank - brilliant stuff.

Oh, and tracked down another bottle of the Glenlivet Nadurra Triumph 1991 to replenish my dwindling supply.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought mine three years ago? Maybe two? I just walked into the store and bought a 20yr for like $80. I did go back and get another, I admit. Don't buy into the hype! JVW held sales back to let prices rise, seemingly. Releasing them so close to the holiday season seems a smart move.

Quote:
If by locally, you mean not online, but in the flesh, then yes. It was like an hour away -- I was not in my home state and decided to tour some liquor stores to look for various deadstock items I forever search for. One of which I found though:

Feel free to PM me though -- what are you doing, cornering the market, or holding until prices go up ridiculously again? That would be slick if I had enough cash to spare to hold a case of PVW 23.

~ H

bearsfan172

Reaction score
I've been trying to get WhiskyFest Chicago tickets all morning but the website is totally dead. Has anyone had any luck?

ecs135

Reaction score

65 cases of the 20yr were stolen from the distillery recently . I think Asia bought the rest.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I ended up getting 3 bottles on my recent trip
Ardbeg Uigeadail - Really liked this. very bold and hearty
Abelour A'bunadh - Really liked this as well, completely opposite of the Ardbeg, but equally interesting
Balvenie 12 Doublewood - This is OK, but nothing special. 

I also had a dram of Oban 14 last week. I found it to be very similar to the Balvenie. Both are worth having, I think that I prefer a more powerful flavour in my scotch.

I am already anticipating getting a bottle of Lagavulin 16 next and I'm not sure which other bottle I will get.

Thank you all for the recommendations.

I've had all of those (except for Adbeg). I love the Abelour and Lagv.

Last edited:

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was at a party last week where the host had a dozen bottles of scotch that were 25-30 yrs old. Unfortunately, I was still hungover from the previous night and can't recall what I drank and didn't appreciate any if it. :(

Last edited:

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
well, there's a lesson in there. Somewhere.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone have a recommendation for best bourbon for an old fashioned?  

Depends what you like. I think that a bourbon with a decent rye content works best since it isn't too sweet. Bulleit works well, and Eagle Rare is a favorite of mine. Wheated bourbons don't seem to hold up as well in my opinion.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

65 cases of the 20yr were stolen from the distillery recently . I think Asia bought the rest.

That theft story the biggest crock of ****. I don't believe this for a second, and think its BT and the Van Winkles trying to make people feel better about not being able to find any. Plus, its free PR. Every store that got an allocation of the BT stuff, got more of the PVW 20 than anything else. I busted ****** this season looking for it, scored 2 23s, a 15, VWFR12, and ORVW 10. Wound up trading one of my 23's for a 20 and 15 so I'm set on the set for this year. Also found 2 George T Staggs and an ER17 too!

Anyone have a recommendation for best bourbon for an old fashioned?  

You might want to try AE Rye in it. Its a rum casked finished rye, and in my mind would make a GREAT OF.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads