• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

Longmorn

Reaction score
If it's the PC10 limited edition, perhaps. If it's the regular PC10 (no Gaelic subtitle) then it should be much less.

Firefox

Reaction score
What are the rules with mailing alcohol from the US to Canada?

Lagavulin 16 is $130 locally, but $55 in the US

Oban 14 is $120 locally as well..

Anyone want to proxy for me?
smile.gif
Quote:
Interested to see an answer to this...
If there is some way of getting round the Canadian prices, that would be fantastic

As an Ontarian, it always makes me weep when I see what certain whiskies sell for in the states. That being said, I think you would stand a pretty good chance of getting a visit from Canada Customs if you made a habit of this. It seems like Canada (and Ontario in particular) is one of the most restrictive alcohol markets in the developed world. Heck, it's still not technically legal to bring wine into the province from other provinces, let alone from the U.S.

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestions. I have been meaning to try some scotches with a bit of peat, so Talisker 10 sounds like a good call.

Talisker is more salt than peat. Still most excellent though.

J

Talisker 10 is one of my favourites. I also like Lagavulin 12 (it's my father's go-to scotch, and he got me drinking single malts in the first place) but Lagavulin 12 runs about $125 a bottle in Ontario, so too rich for my blood. The Talisker is about $82 here, so not dirt cheap either but still far more tolerable.

I heard someone speak highly of Highland Park 12, so I picked up a bottle a few weeks ago to give it a try (haven't opened it yet, though). In terms of cheap(er) everyday scotches, I also drink regular old Glenlivet 12. I also quite like the Glenlivet French Oak 15. I actually prefer the 15 to the Glenlivet 18, which is more expensive.

Last edited:

joelscott7

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has had Murray McDavid Laphroaig 1997 13 year and what your thoughts are on it?

Also, what would be the saltiest/briniest scotch. I tried Talisker 10 last night and was hoping for something saltier.

Thanks,
Joel

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I was wondering if anyone has had Murray McDavid Laphroaig 1997 13 year and what your thoughts are on it?

Also, what would be the saltiest/briniest scotch. I tried Talisker 10 last night and was hoping for something saltier.

Thanks,
Joel

Ardbeg Corryvrecken is pretty briny, but also heavily peated.

freedom_fries

Reaction score

Scotch rookie here:

I have been trying (and enjoying) Old Pultneys, 12 & 17. The 17 is a revelation of flavor, so I can't wait to try the 21 yr.

I have tried the standard MaCallan 12 yr., and will admit It's a little too sherried for my taste. Have tied the Yamazaki 12 as well, and found it tasty indeed.

What recommendations would you have for a newbie?

i actually wasn't impressed with the 12 or 17 but the pulteney 21 was quite good, if a bit expensive (i won mine in a tasting-lottery, so didn't shell out too much). i second the talisker recommendation, though would recommend the storm over the 10 (even though I like the 10). I haven't yet tried the talisker port ruighe but the profile is interesting.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just got the call...PVW 23 will be in my cabinet shortly!

Congrats! Here in VA where all stores are state run, I've been waiting 18 months for Eagle Rare 17 to finally be close to the front of the line. Still have another year I'd guess for George T. Stagg, and they won't even let you get in the queue for PVW 23 since the backlog is over 3 years deep. Any tips you might have to divulge either here or over PM would be much appreciated.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get someone from a smaller volume area to pick some up for you :).

I have 2 bottles of Handy, a couple of Sazerac 18, and three bottle of GTS that I picked up this year. It sounds like a pain **********, but there are some areas where these things just don't move. I went into a grocer here yesterday and saw a Sazerac 18 from 2011 in the case.

Longmorn

Reaction score
Congrats! Here in VA where all stores are state run, I've been waiting 18 months for Eagle Rare 17 to finally be close to the front of the line. Still have another year I'd guess for George T. Stagg, and they won't even let you get in the queue for PVW 23 since the backlog is over 3 years deep. Any tips you might have to divulge either here or over PM would be much appreciated.

If you've got an address you can use in DC or NC, these guys have the Eagle Rare and will ship to you: http://www.babychamliquors.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_8_37&products_id=1902

Last edited:

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Its just a matter of putting the time in to find it. I found another PVW 23 today, paid a bit more than retail, but I was oK with that. Also, if you can get to non-ABC states (Maryland seems the closest), establish a relationship with a manager at a big box store. I have a go to place where I get all of my whiskey, and I'm always in, asking whats new...and I really genuinely like their whiskey guy. I'll throw some samples in if I think he'll like them, and I will get him a nice bottle at Christmas...greasing the wheels helps, but nothing beats good old fashioned face to face regular conversation. Luck, luck is also nice.

Longmorn

Reaction score
Would anyone mind getting me one and shipping up to me in NY? I can't find ER for the life of me and am dying for this bottle. I can Yellow Hook you up if you know what I mean...

The store in FLA ships to NY - should be able to go to them direct.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads